Top Shelf Aquatics

LED MeanWell power supply?

zingtaw

1. The driver adjsut the voltage automatically. There is nothing that you have to do to make that work. You can run anywhere from 1-13 LEDs in series at 1A (after the max current adjustment is turned down).

2. There is no easy way to control two colors from one driver. If you want independant color control, you need two drivers.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That answers a huge question haha. I was wondering how the spec sheet said 3-48v. Thats awesome! makes things so much easier!

second one... i thought so. was just throwing out ideas.

Thanks once again evil!

oh and i went to RS today and total cost for 1 complete LM317 circuit minus the ps:

(1) 5k ohm potentiometer(250vdc/1/4w or 500vdc/1/2w???) - $3.59

(1) 4 pack of 680 ohm resistors - $1.19

(1) LM314 regulator $2.79

(1) 2 pack of small breadboards - $2.39

Total: $9.96 plus tax

Make sure the pot is a linear pot, and not an audio taper one. The audio taper one makes for a very twitchy adjustment curve. Your prices are higher too than in my area.

After digging around a little more, I have found another way for guys looking to interface this to the Arduino or similar, just in case this version does not accept a pwm input. It's a voltage follower using an opamp with a 2:1 gain. Takes the 0-5v TTL signal to 0-10v. I'll make a little diagram later and post it.

All right, I'm convinced. I'm going to go for two Meanwells each with two parallel strands of 8 LEDs. Can you recommend places online for components or parts to purchase? Also, what sort of suggestions might you have for a rusty solderer?

Thanks!

^^^^ Take advantage of evil's group buy currently going on for the LEDs, drivers, and optics. The prices that have been achieved are a hell of a lot lower than if you were to buy on your own from a retailer. Heatsinkusa . com seems to be where everyone is getting their heatsinks.

All right, I'm convinced. I'm going to go for two Meanwells each with two parallel strands of 8 LEDs. Can you recommend places online for components or parts to purchase? Also, what sort of suggestions might you have for a rusty solderer?

Thanks!

Like iMaGin3 said, you can purchase through my group buy.

If you are going to run LEDs in parallel, you will need a little additional circuitry called a current mirror to keep things safe in the even of an LED failure. There are links earlier in this thread to a good article on it. They aren't hard to build and only require a few parts, but will save you a lot of money in replacement parts if something fails.

Evil, have you had a chance to turn up the pwm frequency to see if the drivers are dimmable that way?

Not yet. Maybe tonight.

ok quick questions and this might have been answered but I am at work:

Are these better the puckbucks?

These can run 12 LED is seires and all I need to do is wire them up with no additional circuity, and they will run at 1A right? As I won't need dimming

I think I might want a couple now that there pretty cheap in the group buy

These will require an input voltage to get full brightness. With the dimming signal removed, it goes to it's lowest setting.

These drivers will support up to 13 LEDs in series.

A question regarding the version of the meanwell in the GB. Evil, you found that the "P" model works with analog dimming. i.e. 0-10v DC. And it requires 10v on the dimming wires to be at full brightness. However, from the datasheet the "P" model dims by PWM.

Can you speculate whether the datasheet is wrong, we misunderstood it and the "P" model is dimmable by either method, etc? Is it likely by dimming it analog we are going to burn out the meanwell faster? Or, is it possible the units purchased through the GB will be more standard then the one you have?

Lastly, what's the best place online to buy parts for out circuits?

Thanks!

Meanwell USA was very unclear on the multiple phone calls I had with them about which suffix denoted digital or analog dimming. The "P" model has been more responsive so far to 1-10v input than the pwm. All the pwm circuit does is looks at averaged voltages over time that end up looking like analog voltages anyway. There is no way to burn up the driver from supplying it an analog signal. I'm still trying to get the pwm working to see which is better. Either way, I will have a circuit that will be able to easily dim the driver.

For buying parts, I have always used Digikey and Mouser.

How about something like this?

$45 and it will run 24 x 3 watt LEDs at 700mA

========

Super Compact 3 Channel DMX512 Power LED Driver

Item #: BL-LD700

Tipical Applications:

1) RGB Color mixing;

2) Architectural lighting;

3) Signage;

4) Cove lighting;

5) Flood lighting;

6) Landscape lighting.

Features:

1) 3 output channels;

2) Constant-current output: 700mA;

3) Wide input voltage range from DC 12V to 40V;

4) Can driver 2 - 12pcs of 1W LED in series, or 1 - 8pcs of 3W LED in series;

5) 0 - 100 % dimming output through PWM;

6) Compatible to international standard DMX512 input port, or RS485 port available;

7) External manual-control connector;

8) Auto running mode available through DIP switch;

9) Working current: 700mA per channel;

10) High efficiency up to 90%;

11) Compact design, easy for installation ;

12) Dimension (mm): 70 * 50 * 15 (L * W * H)

·Technological parameter:

Input voltage range: 12 - 40V DC

Input current: MAX 2A (depends on the model, the input voltage and the load configuration)

Output channels: 3

Output current: 700mA per channel

Control protocol: DMX 512

Address range: 1 - 506 through DIP switch

Special address: 511 = Auto-running color change

510 = All channels full on

509 = Channels 3 full on, channels 1 & 2 off

508 = Channels 2 full on, channels 1 & 3 off

507 = Channels 1 full on, channels 2 & 3 off

DMX terminator: Built-in, accessible through DIP switch position 10

Dimming method: PWM

PWM frequency: 160 Hz

Operating ambient temperature: - 10 + 40 deg.

Storage ambient temperature: - 20 + 70 deg.

Dimension: 50 x 70 x 16mm (PCB size)

Example:

12pcs 1W LED connection in series per channel

Total power = 41.1 W

led20DRIVER204.jpg

It would be nice if the output was 1A and not 700mA. Also, the DMX control is a bit of a kick in the ass. Makes life a little harder.

Well, the test is going to have to wait until tomorrow. I need a scope and a few new capacitors to change the frequency.

It would be nice if the output was 1A and not 700mA. Also, the DMX control is a bit of a kick in the ass. Makes life a little harder.

You could also buy them in 1A too.......same price.....adjustable.....May need to code Ardnio to do all the dimming functions.

Still thinking, shell I design my own PCB or go with LEDsupply's 700mA/1A wired dimmable buckpuck with extl. pot. 50/50 can't make my mind up..... I am looking to 150 x 3W LEDs in project.

Tagging along nicely and learning loads....thanks Evil..... ;)

"These will require an input voltage to get full brightness."

What does that mean?

0v = lowest output. 10v = brightest output. This is the opposite of the Buckpucks that will go to full brightness with no dimming input voltage.

You could also buy them in 1A too.......same price.....adjustable.....May need to code Ardnio to do all the dimming functions.

Still thinking, shell I design my own PCB or go with LEDsupply's 700mA/1A wired dimmable buckpuck with extl. pot. 50/50 can't make my mind up..... I am looking to 150 x 3W LEDs in project.

Tagging along nicely and learning loads....thanks Evil..... ;)

Arduino is possible. I think DMX is RS485, so there will be additional cicuitry required.

Giga, It means that since this group buy driver is dimmable, it has an input for this ability. This input is to control the dimming amount. If you give it 10 volts it will be at it's maximum and if you give it 0 then it will be at it's lowest dimming, which might be off, I don't know. So, to use it, you'll need an external power supply hooked up to this part of the driver. Hope this helps, hope I'm right.

Archived