Coral Vue Hydros

Clams in the Fridge

zook

No no, not our lovely Tridacna in the fridge, but the ones at the supermarket. As food, does anyone know how long they can be kept in the fridge before the die and rot? Maybe freezing the whole clam? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Fish and visitors begin to stink after three days. Ben Franklin (I think)

As I remember it from my fishing days you can go about 3-4 days in the fridge at most. Six months in the freezer.

Thanks UH. I think I'll keep some in the freezer for long-term and save a few in the fridge. I like to give my livestock a variety of diets. Thanks!

Fish and visitors begin to stink after three days. Ben Franklin (I think)

As I remember it from my fishing days you can go about 3-4 days in the fridge at most. Six months in the freezer.

Freeze it choped up so you can just thaw what you are going to use that day and don't have thaw an entire clam. Never refreeze something that has been thawed.

Freeze it choped up so you can just thaw what you are going to use that day and don't have thaw an entire clam. Never refreeze something that has been thawed.

what are you looking to feed?

for larger fish, such as tangs (well my hippo) large angels or butterflies you can feed them in shell, i do it every 2 days the fish like it. also try squid and shrimp, with a blender u can make your own custom mush, really useful

anyone else think we need a feeding forum?

I chop the live clam and feed it to my fish, LPS, anemone, and peacock mantis. I also use frozen scallop, squid, shrimp, silverside, and blue crab (my tank eats better than I do). The blue crab is mostly for the mantis, but I'm thinking of trying out the meat for the fish and LPS as well. I'm raising cerith snails for the mantis, but I think it might be easier and cheaper to buy periwinkle snails at an Asian market and freeze those too? Hmmmmm. Do you guys freeze them flat in plastic zip-lock bags or mini ice cube trays?

what are you looking to feed?

for larger fish, such as tangs (well my hippo) large angels or butterflies you can feed them in shell, i do it every 2 days the fish like it. also try squid and shrimp, with a blender u can make your own custom mush, really useful

anyone else think we need a feeding forum?

I chop the live clam and feed it to my fish, LPS, anemone, and peacock mantis. I also use frozen scallop, squid, shrimp, silverside, and blue crab (my tank eats better than I do). The blue crab is mostly for the mantis, but I'm thinking of trying out the meat for the fish and LPS as well. I'm raising cerith snails for the mantis, but I think it might be easier and cheaper to buy periwinkle snails at an Asian market and freeze those too? Hmmmmm. Do you guys freeze them flat in plastic zip-lock bags or mini ice cube trays?

freeze inziploc

if u dont they will get freezer burn where they dry out

AcroporaLokani
freeze in ziploc

if u dont they will get freezer burn where they dry out

+1

And make sure the clams are alive when you buy them (they carry an array of bacteria when dead and decomposing and it can happen in hours of the clams death). Depending on your freezer some food can last up to one year (Not in an auto defrost).

Basically in chest freezers or heavy duty freezers that are not auto defrost.

How you tell the clam is still alive is by tapping it on its shell when its open, if it does not snap shut and does nothing it is dead.

-Acro

Archived