ReefCleaners.org

Could I keep a clam in this?

incysor

I tried posting this to a couple forums on reefcentral, but haven't gotten much of a response. If you've already read through it I apologize.

I am looking to put together a small nano tank and I'd like to keep a clam and a mated pair of Harlequin shimp in it. I won't be keeing anything else in it other than perhaps a rock or two. I don't have enough light in my main tanks for clams, and I have other critters that would love to eat them anyway. So the main tank is out. I wasn't really planning on using much in the way of filtration on it because I'll be doing nearly a full water change every couple days from my main tanks. Now. Please tell me what's wrong with the idea, and what I can do to make it more feasible. I haven't tried to keep a clam, and I don't know much about them. I understand that some clams reqire more light than others so some might not be suitable for anything other than MH, even if the light is only 3 inches from them. Here's the tank I'm looking at.

http://www.fishsupply.com/cgi-bin/f.../SA/SAMJL-MT001

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, here's the link again.

http://www.fishsupply.com/cgi-bin/f2/commo.../SA/SAMJL-MT001

Originally posted by incysor

I tried posting this to a couple forums on reefcentral, but haven't gotten much of a response.  If you've already read through it I apologize.

I am looking to put together a small nano tank and I'd like to keep a clam and a mated pair of Harlequin shimp in it. I won't be keeing anything else in it other than perhaps a rock or two. I don't have enough light in my main tanks for clams, and I have other critters that would love to eat them anyway. So the main tank is out. I wasn't really planning on using much in the way of filtration on it because I'll be doing nearly a full water change every couple days from my main tanks. Now. Please tell me what's wrong with the idea, and what I can do to make it more feasible. I haven't tried to keep a clam, and I don't know much about them. I understand that some clams reqire more light than others so some might not be suitable for anything other than MH, even if the light is only 3 inches from them. Here's the tank I'm looking at.

http://www.fishsupply.com/cgi-bin/f.../SA/SAMJL-MT001

Thanks in advance.

Please tell me what's wrong with the idea, and what I can do to make it more feasible. I haven't tried to keep a clam, and I don't know much about them.
you hit it square on the head yourself. unless you like to flush the tank, clam, and time/$ down the drain i would pull back and think about something a little simpler before jumping to clams and/or harlequins.

i would skip the harlequins altogether due

to cost and work. it's one thing to

spend $$$ for good lighting and supp. equipment. it's

another to constantly buy

new starfish, chop 'em up, feed 'em, and clean up afterwards

each and every time.

whew!

better off

initially trying FOWLR and bypass the

expensive side of the hobby until you get

a better feel for it.

larger tanks are actually an

excellent choice initially.

rather than possibly 'waste' your

time and $$$ on the more difficult projects.

hth

you're kinda full of crap.

you did get a response on reef central, and the answer was "no, you should not attempt a clam, not enough light or water volume/stability"

so just keep on asking untill you get the answer you want to hear.

Nice attitude. This is exactly the type of nonsense that keeps new folks from asking for advice.

For your information I posted twice on RC. The first went unanswered totally. I then reposted to another forum on RC and on two here. I then got some responses. I then asked for clarification on those responses.

I started off the thread by saying that I was asking for advice, and that I hadn't purchased anything yet, so I don't have anything invested in getting the "answer I want". Just some advice on whether it was feasible from folks that have more knowledge about different types of clams requirements.

Originally posted by drdrew

you're kinda full of crap.

you did get a response on reef central, and the answer was "no, you should not attempt a clam, not enough light or water volume/stability"

so just keep on asking untill you get the answer you want to hear.

I would say a minimum requirement for a clam would be an established, well maintained 5 gallon with 64 watts of PC or at least a 70W MH. Oh and please don't put a Squamosa in that 5 gallon.

Advice # 1:

shutup.jpg

Advice # 2: get some more time and experience under your belt before attempting to keep clams in small tanks, OR posting in the ADVANCED forum here and drooling because it appears as...

lurked_for_60_seconds.jpg

I wasn't really planning on using much in the way of filtration on it because I'll be doing nearly a full water change every couple days from my main tanks. Now. Please tell me what's wrong with the idea, and what I can do to make it more feasible. I haven't tried to keep a clam, and I don't know much about them. I understand that some clams reqire more light than others so some might not be suitable for anything other than MH, even if the light is only 3 inches from them. [/img]

Advice # 3

Utelize the SEARCH BUTTON (OMG NANO-REEFSEARCH !) and GOOOOOOGLE around for more info on clams. There is a plethora of information and some good threads here on this site about it.

We don't cater to people in the advanced forum......

ESPECIALY when they whine and complain about replies....

I fear this thread outcome to be poor and filled with angst.

wow u two sarcastic dudes are real jerks... y dont u guys get a life and not come on the board to criticize

...and to answer ur question of whos next to go on your ignore list plz put me on it because im gunna put u on mine. a forum is better off without people like you who sit in front of their computer thinking they are tough insulting people. herb

thanx

have a nice day

My advice would be to re-consider the tank, period.

This tank is open-topped an .8, yes 8/10 of a gallon. I have one, and with 4 tanks, and several years of experience, I won't go salt with it. It's gonig to be a planted tank with surface blooing plants. Less room for error.

The tank is only about 3.5" from front to back, so any clam you would be able to fit in there would have to be small, young and require phytoplanlton and remote feeding (removal and feeding in another bowl). Dsing in that small of a tank could throw off your parameters.

Lighting is too low for clams

Top-off is going to be a NIGHTMARE....the rise in salinity from the evap of one missed day of top off is going to really affect your parameters.

If you upgrade the lighting on it, you are going to have even more problems with top off.

Harlequins are extremly expensive, tinyreef is correct. I have had a pair for the better part of 8 months, and they require a chocolate chip starfish ($6 locally) every two weeks or so: (read $150-175 per year to feed them).

Also, with that small of a volume, the possibility of water parameters from the waste of a degenerating starfish (takes the harleys about a week to actually finish one off) with be a potential problem.

Hey if the clam you order is too big could use a dremel tool to cut off the ends to the shape you want too!

Buy it all and throw it in there, it won't die the first day.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI and my personal point of view, and from my reading and experience, these are my thoughts:

-Clams would outgrow that tank too fast

-Plenty of light, however the size clam that would fit into that tank requires more feeding than light and you would ultimately contaminate your tank

-Dosing calcium would alter water parameters and throw off tank chemistry

-Clams are very sensitive to salinity fluctuations and a small tank like this poses a real problem

-Miniature Dersa at best, but I do not recommend!

Hey guys and gals, let's all be modest and humble. There's really no need for the "super-egos" in any of these forums regardless of the questions posted in the advanced, general discussion, or beginner forums. We're all human beings with a passion for the ocean.

Dr. Rick

ch0ch

perhaps instead of hiding behinf the safety of YOUR MONITOR, you should have posted in the Nano-reef Meeting thread for NYC in the lounge.

I think you need to learn or grow some bigger balls before you call out regs on a bluff ;) to play with us "big cats".

who is the real master? Leroy.....

incysor, the reason no one replied, or replied with little information is AGAIN... because of the previous stated reasons.... not to mention the way you posted made you come off like a drooling reeftard.

It is not cool to drool.

If noone answers, there probaly is a good reason for it.

Originally posted by labrat

There's really no need for the "super-egos" in any of these forums regardless of the questions posted in the advanced, general discussion, or beginner forums.  

Sorry, have to retort here. I don't think my post was terribly nasty or anything, but I think you may have missed a rather important item here:

.8 gal tank, open top. roughly 100 ounces, if topped off to the rim.

2 highly difficult items in any tank: clams and harlequins

Now, honestly, read back through the posts and yu'll realize that some people actually do a little more research before posting replies by going to RC and looking up some background. This is not Incysor's first tank, it's his 3rd and he's got an anemone.

That said, incysor, you have to realize that someone might take this thread to be one with troll tendencies, which is something ch0ch needs to realize. He should read through a thread and maybe do some research on a topic's details before "choosing sides".

• 2 weeks later...

Now for a real cliffhanger:

Can I keep the tank in question in this clam?

GIANT DERASA CLAM FOR SALE OR TRADE

ITS ABOUT 8" ACROSS AND THE MANTLE IS OVER 12".

attachment.php?postid=1886995

Originally posted by kennerd

thread's a month old, Sam....

o ya1!'

look att the post befoer eme...

YOUU posted YESTERDAY!

er;'

AD DAUY BVEFORE ME@

Archived