Pod Your Reef

i-don't-know-why-i-start-again tank

Duncan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi guys, thanks for all the thoughts! really much appreciated! been busy again, but i promised not to neglect it.

ok, so this been like going on since last week and i didn't realize i got a cycle going on in the tank. one day i woke up to a tank covered in diatoms. i realized it must be that trusty 'o mh that threw the equilibrium off balance.

see, the tank never get any light 'cept for the slight creeping sunlight for 5 months and now i shine a full blown sun in its face without any acclimation. figure that! doh! *head slam*

anyhow, the diatoms had their fun and now the gha is out to play. annoying, but still better than yucky brown something. despite the algaes spawning everywhere, the local acanny and xenie boys are doing fine or can i say splendid? lol

so, seeing the boys doing so well, and like any irresponsible self-delusioning reef guy, i went ahead to grab some candies.

juicy red apple gummy with a hint of peppermint in the center. a fire or peanut worm (not good at id worms) tagged along on the frag rock. yup, it went straight to the bin.

DSCN8570.jpg

don't think this needs any explaining, obviously a blue gummy. B)

DSCN8573.jpg

thanks for reading my weird tank blog... didn't mean to come out this way, but kinda stressed out lately. tank is my last sanity or insanity outlet so that i can be sane at work. get it? guess not. lol

:welcome: back to NR awsome tanks man i cant wait to see it progress and grow.

BTW who is the kid lighting his crotch on fire in your sig. it gave me a real good laugh

thanks guys!

BTW who is the kid lighting his crotch on fire in your sig. it gave me a real good laugh

i'm certain it's not me. lol. i got the pic from the someone's avatar on nr. it's hilarious!

Hi Duncan

Welcome back. I love when someone returns. Great aquascape and some very nice pieces. What is the real name for the new "gummy" corals?

thanks, deb. they are just the normal blasto and blue shroom. nothing fancy there, although i really wish i got the cash to get some real fancy oh-my-god-freaking-fire-red-dragon-melon-green-whammy-holy-crap zoas. :lol:

:( i'm not good at keeping things a secret. initially, i wanted to slowly release the going-ons in this blog. it'd made me seems like i'm actually adding frags over a period of time...

you know, a false impression of a respectable reefer. :P

so anyhow, here are the remaining kids i adopted over the past week.

some kind of ric. it got a purple base with orangish (is that such word?) polyps. fancy eh?

DSCN8600.jpg

guessed this is the star of the lot. it eats like no tomorrow and the polyps are forever extending. i figured it has not realized that i'm not running a buffet-line. lol... but i'm not complaining though.

DSCN8606.jpg

dendro babies! i must say this is the bonus of that single dendro frag. i almost threw away the branch that they are sitting on 'cos they are so tiny! baby ant-sized!

DSCN8608.jpg

the last kid, acan lordy. it's pretty obvious i edited it with ps. haha. my 20k mh blue-out everything and the color here is not right but it's the closest i can do. not cheating, i'm NOT cheating...

DSCN8597.jpg

thanks for bearing with me.

doooo itttt!

hi travis.

nah

:( i'm not good at keeping things a secret. initially, i wanted to slowly release the going-ons in this blog. it'd made me seems like i'm actually adding frags over a period of time...

you know, a false impression of a respectable reefer. :P

so anyhow, here are the remaining kids i adopted over the past week.

some kind of ric. it got a purple base with orangish (is that such word?) polyps. fancy eh?

DSCN8600.jpg

guessed this is the star of the lot. it eats like no tomorrow and the polyps are forever extending. i figured it has not realized that i'm not running a buffet-line. lol... but i'm not complaining though.

DSCN8606.jpg

dendro babies! i must say this is the bonus of that single dendro frag. i almost threw away the branch that they are sitting on 'cos they are so tiny! baby ant-sized!

DSCN8608.jpg

the last kid, acan lordy. it's pretty obvious i edited it with ps. haha. my 20k mh blue-out everything and the color here is not right but it's the closest i can do. not cheating, i'm NOT cheating...

DSCN8597.jpg

thanks for bearing with me.

whats the coral in the 2nd pic? it looks really nice

thanks for all the encouragements! got my head all swelled up.

any chance we can get a FTS?

afraid not... 'cos it's mainly too ugly as the glass is covered with hair algae. and i don't want to scrub them off until the tank is balanced. but i will snap a shot asap.

whats the coral in the 2nd pic? it looks really nice

it's a dendrophyllia and the third pic showed the dendrophyllia babies.

just based on experiences without any scientific proof...

my take is...

the tank is adjusting to the new bio-load since i started feeding heavier for the corals since 2 weeks ago. there will be existing denitrifying bacteria living in the live rocks, but in a quantity that's capable of supporting the old bio-load.

now with the heavy feeding, there will be a rise in nitrate level. but there's only so much nitrate the bacteria can take and thus resulted in a mini-cycle. and that means an unhealthy environment for my corals.

so, nature has a way of helping me out. with the re-introduction of lights (after 5 months), diatoms/mirco-algaes will pop up everywhere and suck up the remaining nutrients. hence, keeping my corals happy.

until the denitrifying bacteria populated further over time (i guess the usual 2-3 weeks), i will keep my panels of algae alive.

meanwhile i will do small waterchanges to soften the nitrate blows on my corals. in addition, i have also installed a protein skimmer to take-the-trash-out.

basically, i'm just explaining a soft-cycle here. hope it sounds rational. lol

Archived