Cowboy's 20L build

CowboyRWN

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK. The latest is I have ruined my aquarium stand. It will be sitting out on the curb soon. Just FYI if anyone is doing a DIY stand out of hardwood and they are going to stain it, do not use 220 grit sandpaper. It seals out the stain in spots and not in others. This makes it look like you tried to stain it with water ballons.

I am coming up with a new desin for the stand now and am doing it out of birch. Stay tuned for Cowboy's 20L Stand...The Sequel. I made the opening too small with the first one and was going to have issues with space anyway. Live and learn and waste $100 of wood. I have a new toy for this project. I had a momentary testosterone attack at the woodworking store.

I will post some new pictures tomorrow. I was able to get my internal overflow done, I have the return lines done, I used 3/4 inch locline with the big flare tips. I have the baffels in my sump. The 1/8inch ABS worked very well and it is only $7 on Amazon for a 12x24 piece. It themoforms easy, silicone seems to stick to it well and it was easy to cut and snap with a utility knife.

Militant Jurist
OK. The latest is I have ruined my aquarium stand. It will be sitting out on the curb soon. Just FYI if anyone is doing a DIY stand out of hardwood and they are going to stain it, do not use 220 grit sandpaper. It seals out the stain in spots and not in others. This makes it look like you tried to stain it with water ballons.

I'm not quite sure what happened. Did you try to sand the oak plywood and then stain? Or did you stain and then try to sand?

I'm not quite sure what happened. Did you try to sand the oak plywood and then stain? Or did you stain and then try to sand?

I sanded it first and then stained it. I took it to a woodworking shop and the master woodworker there said I oversanded with too fine a grit sandpaper sealing off the grain in areas. I tried to even it out by sanding and then I was going to try again, but I got down to the point I sanded throught the first veneer.

paint it instead? seems like a waste to throw out all that hard work.

I figure i will paint it black and then have a stand for a frag tank down the road. I was just kidding about puttin it on the curb. I know what I did wrong and what I could have done better. If anyone is thinking about a DIY hardwood stand, all I am going to say is 150 grit not 220.

All the 2x4's were overkill and cut down on the space. I also do not like the way the pine 2x4's contrasted with the oak either. I just earned $100 worth of woodworking experience and a crappy frag tank stand is all. :angry:

I figure i will paint it black and then have a stand for a frag tank down the road. I was just kidding about puttin it on the curb. I know what I did wrong and what I could have done better. If anyone is thinking about a DIY hardwood stand, all I am going to say is 150 grit not 220.

All the 2x4's were overkill and cut down on the space. I also do not like the way the pine 2x4's contrasted with the oak either. I just earned $100 worth of woodworking experience and a crappy frag tank stand is all. :angry:

Too bad you're on the other end of TN from me, I might have been interested in taking that stand off your hands.

I actually need a 20L stand right now.

Too bad you're on the other end of TN from me, I might have been interested in taking that stand off your hands.

I actually need a 20L stand right now.

Well if I go see BonsaiReefer this year (my bro-in-law), I could bring it to Knoxville.

Here are the pics I promised.

Here is my overflow I made out of 1/8" black ABS.

004.jpg

Here are my 3/4" Locline returns.

005-1.jpg

My baffels.

003-1.jpg

My new toy. A Kreg pocket hole jig.....

006.jpg

That allows me to do this.

007-2.jpg

Here is the birch front of the new stand. The sides and top will be 3/4" birch plywood.

009-1.jpg

Thanks.

Militant Jurist

It's for attaching the tail and head boards together without having nails/screws visible from the finished sides. It's actually a very nice way of joining the pieces! He'll place wood screws in those "marks" and that's how he'll fasten the stand.

It's for attaching the tail and head boards together without having nails/screws visible from the finished sides. It's actually a very nice way of joining the pieces! He'll place wood screws in those "marks" and that's how he'll fasten the stand.

I just realized you are from Columbus. I am a Buckeye.

Militant Jurist
I just realized you are from Columbus. I am a Buckeye.

I always enjoy seeing just how far across the country Buckeyes wind up. When did you graduate? I got my BA from Capital (also in Columbus) but I spent a fair bit of time on OSU campus. ;)

Well if I go see BonsaiReefer this year (my bro-in-law), I could bring it to Knoxville.

Oh man, I am SOOO laughing right now, cause bonsai and I are trying to work out a tank deal!!! :lol:

I always enjoy seeing just how far across the country Buckeyes wind up. When did you graduate? I got my BA from Capital (also in Columbus) but I spent a fair bit of time on OSU campus. ;)

I was on the 8 year plan, but graduated in 2003. Nothing like the oval in the spring time. B)

Oh man, I am SOOO laughing right now, cause bonsai and I are trying to work out a tank deal!!! :lol:

I think he would trade his daughter for a sweet frag. I know he would trade his wife, but don't do it. :D

bonsai reefer
I was on the 8 year plan, but graduated in 2003. Nothing like the oval in the spring time. B)

I think he would trade his daughter for a sweet frag. I know he would trade his wife, but don't do it. :D

Never the daughter but the wife mabye for some bubble gum monster :lol: Weet we need to get together on this tank pm me .

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest on the second stand. I have only been able to work on my tank a few hours every weekend. I only have to do the top piece of plywood and trim and I will be staining. I will probably be able to do the rest of my plumbing this week. What do you think about the locline, is it too much? I was thinking it would be better to get the return flow out in front of my rockscape, but I am second guessing myself.

038.jpg

Here is how the rabbitted face frame and plywood sides fit together.

036.jpg

Here is a view of the underneath of the bottom shelf. You can see all the pocket holes.

037.jpg

Archived