Innovative Marine Aquariums

Contemplating Crocea

Noobeef

Thinking about getting a crocea clam. Not anytime soon mind you. I just had a heater break and some of the results have been less than stellar, although all that seems to be left is a bad diatom outbreak on the sandbed. Its a 40 breeder and the lighting is 4x39 T5. Below is the location I have in mind for the clam.

clamquestion.jpg

That location is roughly 8-9 inches below the light. It's a crevice about 5 inches wide for him to sit in/latch onto.

Would he be able to thrive in this environment? I don't "need" to get one, so him simply surviving isn't really good enough. I'd want to be sure he does well. Also, with that lighting is it absolutely necessary to have him that high, or could I get away with having him lower in the tank?

Specs on the lighting? bulbs, reflectors?

Also, that spot looks a bit precarious. The clam could possibly dislodge itself and go for quite a tumble.

masterbuilder

In a somewhat shallow 40B, with 4x39W, you could put it most anywhere you want. I think it might look more natural down lower.

Mark

p.s. I am assuming you have some good individual reflectors in your fixture.

It's actually 2 fixtures of 2x39. Here's the fixture in question Current USA Nova, but I replaced the 460 blues with 420s. They do have individual reflectors and I have a very happy frogspawn growing under them.

Tank has been up for about 10 months, but I recently did a tank upgrade from 29 to 40 last month. And like I said, I wouldn't add anytime soon after the heater debacle. I would wait at least a month to make sure the tank is solid again.

Archived