Top Shelf Aquatics

NEW PICTURES FROM MY XS!

clownfish1124

the only lenses that will AF is any nikon that is an AF-s and any Sigma that has HSM..anything else would be MF.

I think there is only 1 lens made by tamron that they updated with an in lens motor and that is the 28-75 2.8..they have a lettering of BIM..means built in motor for nikon

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clownfish1124

hey everyone! i was looking in the B&H used section and i found this for $289 with the 18-55 lens. if i do get this and not the nikon, what other necessary accessories would i need? thanks!

hey everyone! i was looking in the B&H used section and i found this for $289 with the 18-55 lens. if i do get this and not the nikon, what other necessary accessories would i need? thanks!

that is a really old camera..I see Rebel XTi's used in very good shape going for pretty much that price.

if you wanna look check out

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

but is it really that bad? the d40 has the same megapixels but goes for 150 more

It might not be a BAD camera but you can get the Rebel XTi for almost the same price and its only a year old camera with MUCH better high ISO noise, MUCH better focus system, and more up to date features..like spot metering

what size do your prints need to be? that will determine your megapixel needs

accessories:

necessary IMO

tripod

memory cards

backpack/case of some sort

remote or cable release (especially for aquarium shooting at low speed, which you will be b/c of lenses)

optional, but useful IMO

speedlight (not really for aquarium, but in general)

extra battery

vertical grip

unnecessary and useless 99% of the time, IMO

UV/Haze filters

unnecessary and useless 99% of the time, IMO

UV/Haze filters

Are these not good for protecting the glass on the lenses though? Maybe I'm underestimating how fragile the glass is?

yes you are..its pretty strong and UV filters are just a waste of money unless your standing at the ocean and trying to avoid salt spray or in a very dusty blowing environment...A UV filter is unneeded in any other situation. Lens hood is all you need. UV filters can add to more flare, degrade IQ, possibly throw off the AF system due to refractions between the lens and filter and confuse the focus. I have never purchased or used a UV filter

summers.enemy

Besides all of that ^

I have a really hard time paying hundreds or sometimes thousands of dollars for what is, essentially, nice glass and then covering it up with a $10 piece of crap "filter" :lol:

But on the flip side, it seems crazy to spend all that money on a piece of glass and then not protect it any way you can.

I guess I'm just paranoid about scratching the lens and I don't need to be.

But on the flip side, it seems crazy to spend all that money on a piece of glass and then not protect it any way you can.

I guess I'm just paranoid about scratching the lens and I don't need to be.

why spend all that money on a lens that cost ALOT of money to design without a UV filter to give it he best IQ it can give. Then toss a piece of glass that could alter it in many ways. I will never use one

in all honesty if you can't avoid ramming your lens into something that will scratch it, what business do you have spending the money on the glass in the first place

I used to use a UV filter until I started taking pics in the evening and the double glare of lights ruined all of my pics

now they're technically still in my bag, but it would take a hell of a lot of sand or water spraying in the air to get me to put it on

even then, I probably wouldn't be out shooting in that weather and I live the farthest away from beaches possible in the USA, I think

clownfish1124

i was looking on craigslist and this came up:

Canon Digital Rebel 300d camera for sale. Includes everything but the box - software, manual, cables, battery, and I'll even throw in a nice big 2gb memory card, the regular 18-55mm kit lens, a 75-300mm (long zoom) lens, and a camera bag. It is really a great camera to learn photography on. It is a great camera!! Nothing mechanically wrong with it. I'm selling it because I bought a much more expensive rig (40d).

I'd be happy to take a few minutes to teach you how to use it too.

Note - the 75-300 lens is a little quirky, but it still works fine.

seems like a good deal, and i found a tripod at home so i would only need a mem card.

another option is this:

Olympus Evolt E-410, 10.0 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera Kit with Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Lens, and Olympus 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 Zuiko Digital Lens + extra LOWEPRO shoulder bag

This digital SLR is in like-new condition, and comes with the following:

- 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko ED Zoom Lens

- 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 Zuiko Digital Lens

- Front & Rear Lens Cap and Lens Hoods for both lenses

- BLS-01 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery

- BCS-1 Battery Charger

- USB Cable

- Video Cable

- Strap

- Body Cap

Life is in the details, and the EVOLT E-410 was built to let you capture all of them. The Live View LCD is an uncommonly cool feature for a digital SLR. And when you experience the ergonomic feel and lightweight portability of this camera, you'll want to take it everywhere. Whether the important details of your life are smiling faces or far-away places, you'll capture pristine, detailed memories, thanks to a proven Dust Reduction System and powerful 10-megapixel imager

- 30 Advanced Exposure Modes

- 20 Easy-to-use Scene Modes

- 2.5" HyperCrystal LCD Display

- Built-in and External Flash

- Live View LCD

- Capture in JPEG or RAW

- Dual Card Slot

they are both in my range and local. i am gonna shoot them some offers depending on what y'all think!

Archived