Coral Vue Hydros

NEW PICTURES FROM MY XS!

clownfish1124

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canon vs. Nikon is like Ford vs. Chevy or Nissan vs. Toyota. There are equal zealots on both sides of the fence. Today I shoot Nikon, but I've had both. I wish I could use Canon lenses on Nikon bodies. The whole manufacturer debate is far less important than technique, which is far less important that being there when the light is right. My 2 cents.

Canon vs. Nikon is like Ford vs. Chevy or Nissan vs. Toyota. There are equal zealots on both sides of the fence. Today I shoot Nikon, but I've had both. I wish I could use Canon lenses on Nikon bodies. The whole manufacturer debate is far less important than technique, which is far less important that being there when the light is right. My 2 cents.

You can use Nikon lenses on a Canon body if you like..you just wont have AF

clownfish1124

hey everyone! how are these lenses:

18-55mm EF-5 zoom lens

Canon 50mm EF 1.8 Lens

Tamron 28-105 1: 4 - 5.6 AF

Tamron Tele-Macro 70-300mm 1: 4 - 5.6 AF

thanks! clownfish.

Ive never touched a canon lens in my life, but if its anything like my nikkor 50 1.8 then I'd say it'll probably be your favorite lens, especially out of that group

my tank was already gone when I got the lens though, so I can't comment on its tank picture value, although I would predict it is quite useful for tank pics

IM assuming the 18-55 kit lens is similar to the 18-55 kit lens that I had

the lens is ok and all, but nothing spectacular

honestly I wouldn't buy any of those lenses, but we may very well have different goals in photography and we may shoot different things which requires different equipment

just because some stranger on the internet wouldn't buy something doesn't mean you shouldn't

but to answer your question, they are all low cost, slow lenses that will probably make aquarium photography difficult

on the other hand they might be useful for stationary or slow moving objects photographed outdoors in high light (i.e. the zoo), but would not be useful for any kind of sports or cars or indoor photography without additional equipment

clownfish1124

cool, thanks! i don't really plan on taking any fast moving pictures with these lenses, just zoas and stuff. if my phone can take ok pics i bet this will be a TON better. and i could always buy other lenses in the future. it is not like i am choosing to buy these lenses; they are being sold in a local bundle, and i think that having these lenses would be a good start to my adventure in photography.

i say go nikon they seem like they are built better the spot where the lens and teh body meat are made or metal not hard plastic's. to me the plastic stuff looks like its just gona crack or snap. ive use a cannon point and shoot messed with a dslr but i say go nikon but its because its what ive always used if i always used cannon i would say cannon so go to a camera store that will let you try the cameras and find witch you like best and on the uv filter part i have one on my old lens because my dad tole me to i was like 8 and he diddnt want me to scrach the lens dont use em any more but your choice

hey coralcor, low quality nikon lenses also have plastic at the connection

the 18-55 and the 55-200 VR both have plastic connections

the 50 1.8 has metal though

I am assuming that nicer canon lenses have metal connections as well, but again, just speaking out of my ass

clownfish1124

i looked into nikon, but the cam i am looking for now (canon rebel 300d) is only one step down from the rebel XT (the cam lalani uses). everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you have gone the ashton kutcher way.

Are you considering buying the original digital rebel that came out in 2003? Why not buy a refurb XTi with 18-55mm IS lens from adorama for $430 shipped? At least the XTi is only a year or so old.

Jesse

TheUnfocusedLove

I just got my first DSLR (passed down from my dad) and its the original 2003 Rebel. I love it and would recommend it to other beginning photographers.

hey coralcor, low quality nikon lenses also have plastic at the connection

the 18-55 and the 55-200 VR both have plastic connections

the 50 1.8 has metal though

I am assuming that nicer canon lenses have metal connections as well, but again, just speaking out of my ass

your right i just looked at the lens my d40 came with its plastic but the body has metal conection

Canon, Nikon, whatever. At the top of the DSLR food chain it all comes down to the lens between the sensor and your subject. I couldn't agree more with Latazyo. Skip the cheapo kit lenses and 3rd party lenses. Spend your money on a 50/1.8 (which is plenty cheap in its own right) and a decent macro lens, especially if aquarium shots are among your priorities.

clownfish1124

thanks for the replies! i think of it this way about the kit:

cam: $220

50/1.8 lens: $80

everything else is free because it is 300 dollars for the whole kit. so what if it is bad.

edit for price changes

Skip the cheapo kit lenses and 3rd party lenses. Spend your money on a 50/1.8 (which is plenty cheap in its own right) and a decent macro lens, especially if aquarium shots are among your priorities.

:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong at all with the kit lens to use when starting out. Then you say skip the 3rd party lenses and get a good macro..HMMM

Lets see what are some GREAT macros

Tokina 100, Sigma 105, Sigma 150, Tamron 90...HMMMMM they seem to be 3rd party..Dont give out bad advice

clownfish1124

well, back to the drawing board.

i decided not to get the 300d because it is old and if i save up some more, i can get a newer, better camera.

Archived