very clean ADA build

rean_jem

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice.
sweet awesomeness, good luck !

thank you for the kind words.

heres the pics of the overflow that will go on the slit at the far end of the stand. it measures 6 1/8 wide 3/4 in thick and 20in high. i tried to make the silicone job as clean looking as the ada tank. the next challenge would be attaching it to the tank without making a mess. to prevent water from a rather long drop i plan on putting something on the end where i can slide a piece of glass to control the level of water in the thin overflow thus eliminating the noise. im open to any suggestions though.

Advance MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!

DSCF5072.jpg

DSCF5073.jpg

DSCF5075.jpg

DSCF5077.jpg

are you painting the back? or are you going to be able to see the overflow/silicone?

i will not paint the back and yes the overflow will be seen, thats why i decided to make it as thin as possible while still be able to clean it. also il make sure to make the silicone job A+.

thats freakin cool....your glasswork is great

i better be, i went through two peices of glass before i got the hang of cutting glass, lol.

very well thought out tank. cant wait to see this one come togather.

thanks, i cant wait either!

its been a very busy christmas but i would have the time to continue tomorrow. i will attach the overflow tomorrow so i might have pictures then.

nice stand. im a noob at DIY, what kind of wood did you use? Will a sumps weight be held in the 2nd level? what did you use to fasten the wood together to hold the weight?

nice stand. im a noob at DIY, what kind of wood did you use? Will a sumps weight be held in the 2nd level? what did you use to fasten the wood together to hold the weight?

this is also my first diy stand and i wanted to make is as light as possible without overdoing it, but i ended up putting way too much lumber in it.

i used 3x1lumber and 3.5x3/4 stock. i made the desired shape with the 3x1's, two rectangles to be exact then cut the sides (1/2" sanded plywood) to the height and width of the stand. attached the two rectangles, one will be the top and the other one will be the middle which will be the sump. the bottom is made by the 3x3/4" stock. i used the thin stock at the front so i can have full access at the sump and used the 3x1 at the back to give full rigidity as the vertical supports. it sound complicated as i cant explain it simpler, lol. but its really easy just make sure you cut most of your peices straight and take your time with your measurements. you know what they say measure twice and cut once. btw i use a combination of nails, screws and wood glue.

if i were to do it again i would have used thinner lumber rather than 3x1 and put plywood on the middle level and took of the supports on the center. this would have made the stand lighter but still carry the weight.

the silicon is dry on the overflow and tried water testing just the overflow but my duct tape idea failed to fly. i put duct tape at the bottom of the overflow and taped around it to support water but at at the middle of filling it up the tape leaked so i might just have to do it tomorrow outside. i plan on covering the holes inside the tank and fill it up with water and see if theres gonna be leak at the overflow and will also check what level the water will be in the tank. btw if theres any more ideas on water testing just the overflow pls let me know coz i dont really want to do the whole tank.

sorry for the bathroom pics, thats where i decide to do my water test :scarry:

DSCF5382.jpg

DSCF5383.jpg

great idea! Hope it all works out!

toe's and fingers crossed!

wow that looks awesome, you got some guts cutting up that ADA tank, made me squemish drilling my 7.5 gallon

thanks, a good tip when drilling/cutting tanks is convincing yourself you can always go bigger when you messed up, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

just finished plumbing the return this morning and all i can say was its totally a pain in the arse. it took me a week planning the plumbing and two days to actually put it all together. il be using a oceans motion squirt to direct the gyre flow im going for. i had to trim all the standard fitting to make it fit in the sump. i also scrapped the idea of using four check valves (which i already have) and just opted at using one. it all sounds very confusing without pictures but il be posting some later this morning.

as for the return, it will also be changed. the original plan was to put something at the end of it that will allow me to control the height of the water inside the thin chamber but instead il just allow the water to fall and then onto a slide type algae scrubber. hopefully i will be able to come up of a way to slow it down a bit without causing noise.

will be water testing later also.

"Very Clean ADA" indeed.

I used to live in Corona when I went to school in Cal Poly. What part are you from? Does it still smell like bread in the morning? -_-

"Very Clean ADA" indeed.

I used to live in Corona when I went to school in Cal Poly. What part are you from? Does it still smell like bread in the morning? sleep.gif

hopefully i can pull it off without powerheads, il soon find out in a couple of months how my flow will be.

i get off at mckinley and yes it still smells like bread and other sweet yummiees :happydance: , makes me wanna go straight to the store to buy anything sweet, lol.

i got the plumbing done and as you can see i have the om squirt attached and it will be fed by a mag 5. i had to compromise the overflow and had to do it that way for ease of controlling the amount of water going in. i know this might cause a clog but as of now i cant really think of anything else. i plan on putting something at the weir to prevent fish or other stuff from going in the overflow.

i cut a slit with the dimensions of the overflow on a 1" pvc and put a endcap at the end and on the other end it got reduced to 3/4in with a ball valve. this will go to the first chamber of the sump. i havent had the time to build the sump yet. that will be next.

these shots are from the back of the stand to have a better view of the overflow

DSCF5525.jpg

DSCF5528.jpg

DSCF5529.jpg

from the front of the stand

DSCF5527.jpg

Archived