Top Shelf Aquatics

Crocea Shadding itself

baugherb

My new crocea is shadding itself under my monti's.... Do you think it will stop when it gets comfortable???? I have 150w k2 viper over my 5.5 gal.. Most people I've talked say its acclimating itself to the light??? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks, Greg..

My new crocea is shadding itself under my monti's.... Do you think it will stop when it gets comfortable???? I have 150w k2 viper over my 5.5 gal.. Most people I've talked say its acclimating itself to the light??? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks, Greg..

That's definitely a lot of light for such a small tank. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's actually really good for the crocea, but if it's coming straight from the LFS, or you just switched to the new light, it's probably just trying to get used to the large amount of light.

I run a ten gallon with that light. I found that when I went to a 20K bulb things seemed happier. I would assume due to the reduced PAR. Regardless with that fixture on that size tank you will need to pay careful attention to acclimating new corals (and clams) to the light. When I introduce something new I put a few pieces of eggcrate over my tank and over teh course of a week I slowly brighten things by removing layer by layer of eggcrate (or adjusting it so more light gets thru the holes).

Having that much light is a good thing in the end IMO, but you will want to carefully acclimate things to it. And you may seriosly consider a radium or pheonix 20K bulb. I like the radium a lot since I don't use actinic supplemntation.

Thanks everyone for your responses..It was completely out in the open.. Now its made it way under one of my montis that hangs overhead.. Its about a quarter to a half way in the shade... Everything in my tank is acclimating well.. Its taken me about a 2 weeks and I'm about 3 inches from where I want to be.. I added 24w's of actinic to it also, but I am waiting to get everything acclimated to the halides before turning them on..

my derasa did this too. It slid under my frogspawn and stayed there happy and open for months. I switched to a lower power light and I moved it out into the open and it's still happy and extended. I'd say your clam is behaving normal

thanks for your help.. I put a piece of eggcrate behind it too keep it from moving any farther so that night I come home from xmas shopping and it had knocked itself over trying to get on the eggcrats.. Needless to say I took out the eggcrate and I am letting it go wherever it wants to... Still remains fully open and very reactive to light...

you gotta remember, in this hobby you're keeping living things with millions of years of evolutionary adaptations that allow them to do what they need, even if they lack a central nervous system. The clam "knows" what's best for it and it will instinctively do what it has to.

I say this because...well...sometimes it sucks when our critters won't do what we want them to do. It blows spending $50 on an anemone just to have it settle in a part of the tank you can barely see. Same goes for the jawfish that decides to burrow in the back of the tank instead of the front rockwork or the clam that moves/turns into a position that hinders our viewing pleasure.

There's a give an take with mobile beasts. It sucks when we have to give

you gotta remember, in this hobby you're keeping living things with millions of years of evolutionary adaptations that allow them to do what they need, even if they lack a central nervous system. The clam "knows" what's best for it and it will instinctively do what it has to.

I say this because...well...sometimes it sucks when our critters won't do what we want them to do. It blows spending $50 on an anemone just to have it settle in a part of the tank you can barely see. Same goes for the jawfish that decides to burrow in the back of the tank instead of the front rockwork or the clam that moves/turns into a position that hinders our viewing pleasure.

There's a give an take with mobile beasts. It sucks when we have to give

+1 ... Very well put!!! Can't control these creatures (nems, clams ...) they will do what they want, when they want ... and settle down wherever they choose to do so.

-David

Hey, this sounds familiar. My Crocea lives at the bottom of my stock-lighted BC14 and should be seeking higher points in the reef for more intense light, right? Instead it is burrowing further and further under one of the front live rocks. It's been here for seven months and remains intense blue, reactive to wandering neighbors, lights coming on, people walking up, etc.

I'm real tempted to cut him free and start the placement process over again. What do you all think? Thanks.

post-34986-1230482508_thumb.jpg

That doesn't look like a happy clam...

Stock lighting on BC14? I don't think that is anywhere near sufficient.

Agreed... Especially on the sand bed!

your lighting isn't sufficient for keeping it anywhere in the tank. I would remove it and give it back to the LFS. When removing it try your best to cut the foot as close to the substrate (as far from the shell) as possible. Damage to the foot can be fatal.

hey, you jacked my thread...LOL..... My clam has turned completely around half shaded under a monti and the other half completely opened.. Thanks everone for their responses...

Archived