SaltCritters.com

5.5g Reef Island

Sandeep

No the tank does not have any name or label that I can tell.

You can phone my LFS and ask them. They have this tank labeled as an 8g but it's 5.5g according to dimensions which are the same as an AGA.

My LFS: Aquatic Kingdom

Phone (905) 281-1118

Toronto area (Mississauga)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of a US dealer that carries these boyu aquariums, or an online vendor? They have a tank that is 24"x14"x16" tall, glass with rounded front corners. Looks real nice, I would sure like to find one. Sorry to hijack your thread Sandeep. I love your tanks and this one looks great so far.

• 4 weeks later...
calebkdesign
Tank cost only $20 Can, about $15 US with glass top.

Covering up the breeder with rocks would cut off the light to the chaeto for photosynthesis, I'm going to leave it as is, better circulation through the breeder that way too.

Does the pump kill off any copepods?

I've been wanting to make a copepod cage,

a pump is just cool

tarajean0627

Sandeep,

Well as usual I am loving your new 5.5. I am actually finally going to be upgrading my 4 gallon to a 10 gallon and I was wondering if I could get your opion on a couple of things.

First do you think your breeder idea would work on a 10 gallon? Or do you think I would need something larger, say do like your old 5.5 with plexi glass?

My 4 gallon is just getting completely over run with my corals and I am looking for the most space possible for them to grow out more in (plus there are a few more pieces I would like to put in there).

Let me know what you think and again I love your new 5.5 . :)

The fish breeder is ideal for 5.5g tanks, but too small for a 10g.

Good choice, a 10g should make a world of difference for you moving up from your current tank. I would recommend you go with the plexiglass partition in that tank size. It will also not take up as much space as in my initial 5.5g design because it's a lot taller tank, so the compartment for the refugium & maxijet out can be a lot smaller, giving more space for the primary display area. A Maxi-Jet 600 would probably work best on that tank volume.

eddiecorrea
2) Last year I fragged a large Elegance Coral into five pieces. A really tiny bit of tissue that I hardly noticed broke off and I was about to throw it in the garbage, but got curious so I kept it in my 20g nano to see if it would regenerate, and it did!

You mean a Duncan Whisker right? Because it does not look like an elegance to me.

agetupkiddan

Sandeep, once again you come up with an awesome idea. I actually did something similar in my new tank, only i use a flexible tank divider and connected the ends to make it round and hide in the corner. (You can see pics in my new tank thread)... you've inspired me, however, to try and get my filter in there!

I also noticed you bought that tank at Aquatic Kingdom! Thats my favourite LFS ! I saw those tanks the other day, as well as some with those metal things already removed...i think... looked really similar.

Great place though, i'm really stoked about them setting up the tank with small nano - sized frags! awesome deal..

Anyway, stopped by to say tank looks great! ......again!

-Cheers!

Sandeep another awsome tank. What is going to happen to the old tank?

I am working on using a breeder trap and magnets so loose frags and rubble can have a little place alone till the corals attach.

• 3 weeks later...
WhatIsDharma

Do you think that the 40 watt t5 HO current fixture would be enough for a 10 gallon. Im trying to decide between that and the Dual Satellite but the t5 being half the cost makes me wonder if its enough for 10 gallons. As i am trying to go cheap as possible at first i might just get one t5 fixture and another one at a later date but who knows. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tank looks great. I really like the in tank sump. You also have some great looking corals too. Any plans for what fish you are going to put in there?

Bruce

Paleoreef103
You mean a Duncan Whisker right? Because it does not look like an elegance to me.

Check out his 20 gallon thread. His elegance takes up about a full quarter of his tank.

Awesome Pico by the way!

Mynameskenny19

WhatIsDarhma, I think the 40w is enough for a 10g tank. That's 4w per gallon and thats good enough for most people. Yes, i know im good at math! lol

You should check craigslist.org and ebay and pawn shops around you. I have a Coralife 20" 96w PC light on my 10g tank and it's awesome! I just hate how the bulbs are $50.

WhatIsDharma
WhatIsDarhma, I think the 40w is enough for a 10g tank. That's 4w per gallon and thats good enough for most people. Yes, i know im good at math! lol

You should check craigslist.org and ebay and pawn shops around you. I have a Coralife 20" 96w PC light on my 10g tank and it's awesome! I just hate how the bulbs are $50.

think im gonna go with the 40 watt for now since its only 50 bucks and the bulbs are 14ish. I might add another strip at some point but i think one should be fine for what im starting with, just zoas, rics, and possibly neon green toadstool/frogspawn if the light is enough.

It's been a while since I posted updated pictures of the tank. I'm happy to report that everything is doing great. Enjoy

(I've also posed updated pictures of my 20g nano, see here )

Pico_2009_04_21_1.jpg

Pico_2009_04_21_2.jpg

Pico_2009_04_21_3.jpg

Pico_2009_04_21_4.jpg

'world's smallest' Elegance doing well too

Pico_2009_04_21_5.jpg

Pico_2009_04_21_7.jpg

Pico_2009_04_21_8.jpg

rear view of the back of my coral island, almost as nice as the front view

Pico_2009_04_21_6.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived