Pod Your Reef

My 20g mainly Elegance Coral & Other LPS

Sandeep

My tank has been running for around 9 months now. 25% water changes every week, Tropic Marin salt, Aqua C Nano Remora Protein Skimmer, Glo T5 HO fixture with 2 tubes, Current USA Nova Extreme T5 HO fixture with 2 tubes, Maxi-Jet 900's, 50W Ebo-Jager heater.

NanoDec4_07k.jpg

Elegance Coral

NanoDec4_07i.jpg

Another Elegance Coral

NanoDec4_07c.jpg

Ricordia

NanoDec4_07f.jpg

left to right - Cynarina, Frogspawn, Hammer Corals

NanoDec4_07e.jpg

Hammer, some Zoas, Desara clam

NanoDec4_07g.jpg

Torch coral

NanoDec4_07h.jpg

NanoDec4_07j.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had both elegence corals for about 6 months. The darker thick tenticle one is of unknown origin, the lighter thin tenticle one is an aussie. I've been pretty tense that if one gets that infection, it will be game over for both, but so far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Where can I get a surface skimmer attachment for the nano-remora?

The tank sits of my desk which is in the middle of the room so I like to walk around to the back of the tank to view it from behind and make sure everything is OK behind the rocks, no shrimp skins to remove, etc. so that's why it has no background.

oh man, this tank is amazing, this is how i would someday like to have a tank, I love all those kinds of LPS you've got...I think I may have to try get a 20g tank like i've been thinking of doing...

It's a tank like this that makes me think people speak without knowing. For example, many people will say you cant get the colours you can with MH lighting using T5HO setups. This obviously goes to show that this is not the case. Too many of us exagerate minute differences between pieces of equipment.

This is a stunning tank. Congrats! I started my first SW tank 2 months ago, also a 20 gallon. Hoping to get 4T5HO setup for good price (local sale).

Colours are amazing!

Julien

Julien, there are a couple of faults to what you are saying.

1.) The proper T5 system with individual reflectors is just as effective(provided you also have the proper amount of bulbs/wattage) as a MH system. I know people that have to remove reflectors to keep from burning corals that come from under metal halides. This is a great "tuning" tool that can be utilized with T5's.

2.) As far as the coloring of corals and such, it really comes down to providing the correct amount and spectrum of lighting for the specific coral. This is especially important for the Elegance Coral(look at the thread that I pasted into post #7). Color in some corals like SPS is very much determined by stability; pH, Alk, Ca, SG, and temp is crucial to keeping these corals healthy and full of colors.

Brian, like I wrote in my previous post, it has a lot to do with the lighting. His corals look awesome under the lighting that he chose. Those corals would not look the same under my lighting because I don't have as much blue. He definatly got it right on this tank, it looks stunning!

Lighting is provided by 4 T5 HO 24 watt tubes. Two are actinics tubes plus one 10,000K tube and one 6500K tube.

The lighting does look great. I think it's good that you've got the 10k and 6.5k lamps as well, to cover different parts of the spectra.

Brian, like I wrote in my previous post, it has a lot to do with the lighting. His corals look awesome under the lighting that he chose. Those corals would not look the same under my lighting because I don't have as much blue. He definitely got it right on this tank, it looks stunning!

IMO, It seems that the more purple lamps bring out the Symbiont Colors in Corals (say that fast 10 times ;) ) And it's probably because they're reflecting the light at those wavelengths (as well as being healthy). And reflected light is not absorbed. To keep things in perspective, if you've got multiple wave lengths covered, your corals will be healthier and hopefully good looking also. (Not to suggest that yours don't--they really do look great and healthy).

Keep up the good work.

I've wondering if instead of 2 actinics, I should change one of them to a 14,000K tube for a every broader spectrum, or should I stick with the 2 actinics?

I've wondering if instead of 2 actinics, I should change one of them to a 14,000K tube for a every broader spectrum, or should I stick with the 2 actinics?

There are two lamps that are commonly used at the cooler end of the spectrum. True Actinics 03 (this tank seems to have 2 of them) and the bluer type (7100K blue) lamps. I would say that if the corals are doing fine with current lighting conditions, leave it be. Once it's time to replace the bulbs, than I would try a different combo :) with one 03 lamp and one 7100K blue lamp.

tank looks great. wondering about the skimmer. would you recommend?

I would. My mantra is: you take everything out and control what goes back in. Instead of hoping that whatever went in was only the good?!

Archived