ReefCleaners.org

Considering a Clam

javisaman

I know I'll probably get flamed for this but I'm considering a clam for my 4 month old tank. The reason I want to buy now is because my LFS is having a sale (each clam $25). Probably a dumb reason but worth a try.

My setup:

Size: 20 gallon long + 10 gal sump/fuge

Flow: 2500 OceanRunner with Flow accelerators/ 2 Koralia 1's

Live Rock: 25lbs Indonesian + 10lbs Timora and Kalini (both fully cured) + 5lbs from established from LFS

Lighting: 150W HQI Phoenix 14K + 2x24W Actinic, 2W LED Night, 25W fuge. Actinic on 10am-9pm, MH on 11:30am-7:30pm, fuge on9pm-10am.

Other Equipment: AquaC Remora Skimmer, ATO, ReefKeeper II

Livestock:

Soft Corals: Xenia, various mushrooms, rics, yumas, zoas, and palys.

LPS: Maze Brain, Lobo, Frogspawn, Duncan, Candy Cane, Goniopora, Torch

SPS: Birdsnests and Monti

Fish: 2 false percula clowns

Inverts: Emerald Crab, Cleaner Shrimp, 3 hermits, 3 cerith snails, 4 trochus snails, 3 nerites, and dozens of dwarf ceriths.

I can include parameters if you want.

Should I go for it?

Thanks

burtbollinger

Just my opinion, but with your set up, if your parameters are stable, then I'd say go for it....6 months is recommended but I got one at 4 months and he was fine...my tank gets crazy attention though...

try to get a bigger crocea tho if available...

I think you could keep a clam, as long as your SPS are doing well.

SPS are doing fine. I've had one for 3 weeks now. The birdsnest and the monti were added last week. The monti did lose a lot of its tissue because I burned it with epoxy putty!

Just my opinion, but with your set up, if your parameters are stable, then I'd say go for it....6 months is recommended but I got one at 4 months and he was fine...my tank gets crazy attention though...

try to get a bigger crocea tho if available...

Can you define crazy attention? I generally only look at my tank for a few minutes each day (unless I notice something wrong). One the weekends I just change 4 gals and clean the skimmer cup. I only measure params when I see something wrong or someone asks for them. I did check the calcium and alk after I added my sps (mid week after waterchange) to see their effect. Both were stable.

Which LFS. I'm fifteen minutes from Frederick. I've been considering another one myself. I have a T.Crocea in one of my 29 gal. AGA with T5's for almost a year. Its my favorite.

You are fine. Go ahead. Try for a Maxima if you can as they are not as hard to take care of as a Crocea.

I don't know what I was thinking last night when typing. Mine is a Maxima and has been very easy. I noticed that it was doing much better after I made a concerted effort to improve my water quality in that tank.

Here is a picture of my clam.

It is a crocea (all they had). Nevertheless it is a larger one though 7" so hopefully it should be fine.

clam.jpg

Not bad for $25 eh?

Thanks!

I actually moved the zoas because the clam's mantle was extending over them. They are slow growers at only 1 new polyp every 2 months. If I do get enough I'll frag it for sure.

Archived