Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Almost bought a crocea today

redfishsc

Wait a minute...

I got lost somewhere on how to substain a small to medium clam...

It can be feed like I stated...but not always ness...

if you have good light and good water changes+ major CA...

Clams are no issue.

But as always in a smaller system you must compensate and dose

due to demands.

Always test the parameters that you know will be taxed and dose.

Clams 2 to 3 inches may need occa. feeding with oyster eggs...but

lighting is their major growth factor with water stabilization.

Test your Alk (hardness) and Ca to make sure of good mantle

growth rate. These will be the most taxed in a Nano...+ Ph shift

may occur a little more rapid without a source of CO2 uptake.

This mainly occurs in smaller systems that eat up alkalinity.

Always keep up with each bioload of individual systems that can

be monitored by simple testing.

Izzue

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Red,

With all the trash talk (I am guilty too), maybe you missed it. If its close to 3", no need to feed. Seems you have everything it needs...good light. I say go for it. I love clams.

If it makes you feel better, just add a 1/2 dose of DT's every week or 10 days. For a less expensive food, I saw on another forum that Fauna Marin Ultra Clam was working well for others. I have not used it myself.

Actually, I did get it ;) I just didn't clarify. The LFS, at the time of the possible "impulse buy" suggested I remove the clam and target feed it in a small container since it was close to the "is it big enough for photo-feeding only" size. Based on the PITA factor, I opted out.

Now that I know it's probably just fine for that particular clam to go without target feeding, I may go back and get it, but chances are he's already sold. This one was only about $30, ie, half the price of the normal size clams. Otherwise I was not going to fork out $60 at the moment, I'm really focusing more on corals I can frag and trade. There will be other clams.... someday :D

BTW this has been a cool thread, p1ssing contest and all! Thanks for all the replies!

Because tubastrea I find in stores are generally in poor shape from lack of feeding and it requires special effort for a week or two on my part to get them feeding regularly and readily it makes the most logical sense not to buy them? :rolleyes:

yes, don't support LFS that do not practice good husbandry skills. If you have the money for reef tank you probably have enough to buy from a better source.

yes dumbass, don't support LFS that do not practice good husbandry skills. If you have the money for reef tank and enough to act pompus you probably have enough to buy from a better source.

i like towdles....p.s. they look like frosting to me! ya know with the star tip out of a pastry bag ugh! :P

yes dumbass, don't support LFS that do not practice good husbandry skills. If you have the money for reef tank and enough to act pompus you probably have enough to buy from a better source.

You certainly are abrasive for no discernible reason. How am I acting pompous? By disagreeing with you over removing things to feed? I certainly wouldn't want that :rolleyes:

This is a distraction from the discussion about remote feeding: I've been to a fair number of fish stores within a couple state area from which I live since I travel a fair amount -- I have yet to come across a store which can afford to take the time to target feed tubastrea. If I found one, I'd certainly buy from them but, as it is, I'm not going to refuse to patronize a store over a colony of sun coral that isn't readily eating.

Considering bringing meaningful to the discussion beyond a bunch of ad hominem attacks.

You certainly are abrasive for no discernible reason. How am I acting pompous? By disagreeing with you over removing things to feed? I certainly wouldn't want that :rolleyes:

This is a distraction from the discussion about remote feeding: I've been to a fair number of fish stores within a couple state area from which I live since I travel a fair amount -- I have yet to come across a store which can afford to take the time to target feed tubastrea. If I found one, I'd certainly buy from them but, as it is, I'm not going to refuse to patronize a store over a colony of sun coral that isn't readily eating.

Considering bringing meaningful to the discussion beyond a bunch of ad hominem attacks.

Live-aquaria.com.

I have worked at fish stores, I have seen tubastrea come in some piss poor shape and yet almost all that didn't already have an infection would feed after a few days of acclimation if you caught them when they were open. I have a feeling those who swear by remote feeding, have always done it and therefore feel it is the only way. In fact the vast majority of people who are successful with dendros, tubastrea, clams, etc. do not remove them for "remote" feeding.

Live-aquaria.com.

I have worked at fish stores, I have seen tubastrea come in some piss poor shape and yet almost all that didn't already have an infection would feed after a few days of acclimation if you caught them when they were open. I have a feeling those who swear by remote feeding, have always done it and therefore feel it is the only way. In fact the vast majority of people who are successful with dendros, tubastrea, clams, etc. do not remove them for "remote" feeding.

I don't remove any of my tubastrea after they're feeding readily and can hold onto the food in the current. I'm not advocating removing anything to feed it for extended periods of time.

Faulkneri seems to open fairly readily and if I were so inclined, I'm sure spot feeding when it's already open would be feasible after arrival. Micrantha is very difficult to catch open, and tends to be pretty fragile until it's used to a feeding cycle so I'm a bit more skeptical about that one. However, they're not terribly common, took me a good while to find my colony.

OT: Just a question about feeding larger clams. I have read that photosynthesis only supplies sugar, not protein. If so, and if there is no targeted feeding of larger clams, won't they require an environment that supplies these other things?

OT: Just a question about feeding larger clams. I have read that photosynthesis only supplies sugar, not protein. If so, and if there is no targeted feeding of larger clams, won't they require an environment that supplies these other things?

There will always be small amounts of "crud" in reef tanks for clams to munch on and filter out.

Also, clams, like most other photosynthetic invertebrates, have the ability to absorb nutrients from the water column. In fact, some, like Xenia, star polyps, clove polyps, etc... have no mouth or oral cavity at all--- no "digestive" system as we think of it. Therefore, they cannot be target fed. They absorb things like trace amounts of nitrate, phosphate, and perhaps silicates and similar ____-ates from the water.

Clams can do the same thing. Some people have actually had success getting their high nitrates under control by putting in a handful of clams, who reduce it nicely.

I would suppose the clams and other inverts are able to convert these products into proteins.

There will always be small amounts of "crud" in reef tanks for clams to munch on and filter out.

Also, clams, like most other photosynthetic invertebrates, have the ability to absorb nutrients from the water column. In fact, some, like Xenia, star polyps, clove polyps, etc... have no mouth or oral cavity at all--- no "digestive" system as we think of it. Therefore, they cannot be target fed. They absorb things like trace amounts of nitrate, phosphate, and perhaps silicates and similar ____-ates from the water.

Clams can do the same thing. Some people have actually had success getting their high nitrates under control by putting in a handful of clams, who reduce it nicely.

I would suppose the clams and other inverts are able to convert these products into proteins.

Thanks.

Wow. This is the sh!ttiest forum I have EVER been too. The fighting on here is insane! Are we not all reef keepers? If yes set aside your god damned differences and be respectful to each other. This place is a joke. Its just full of juvenile as$holes.

Wow. This is the sh!ttiest forum I have EVER been too. The fighting on here is insane! Are we not all reef keepers? If yes set aside your god damned differences and be respectful to each other. This place is a joke. Its just full of juvenile as$holes.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? BTW, Happy New Year to You

+1

I thought it's been a fairly mild-mannered discussion.

Maybe we'll get another one of those "complaint" threads in the site feedback forum.

Yeah. I like it here too. :D It's even more fun when you are a conservative Christian......... ;) ......... :huh:

Head over HERE then, if this place is such a joke.

Archived