inTank Media Baskets

Serious question here don't flame me

5galnanoreef

Ok, I am setting up a 3 gallon picotope, custom build setup. I have a thread going in the pico reef section.

My question is:

I am going to be running a 70 watt halide with 18 watts of actinic pc in a canopy over this tank. I can keep virtually anything I wish.

I plan to upgrade the clam to a larger tank once it gets bigger. Can you recommend any small clams I can get, the future home of this clam will be in a 40 gallon breeder that will be my main display with halides.

I will of course wait a while until getting the clam, but I am curious can I get any that will be ok in this tank for about 6 months?

Yes, a clam can survive in a pico, but you should wait until you think you have enough experience for it. Check with tinyreef about how he's keeping his clams.

Yes, a clam can survive in a pico, but you should wait until you think you have enough experience for it. Check with tinyreef about how he's keeping his clams.

i've had clams in previous setups, prior to moving, crashes (due to hurricanes in florida), and what not. I live in hurricane city so to speak. I now have a generator specifically for the fish, and a whole house generator for the rest of everything. I was curious though, as I haven't ever kept one in this small of a tank.

there's more to keeping a clam than lighting...water quality is important, as is the ability to maintain stable paraments while still providing supplementary feedings of phytoplankton (as this is a true fliter-feeding organism). sure they get nutrients from zooxanthellae that exist in their tissue, but supplementation is a must for true long term captivity. a pico MIGHT work VERY short-term, but why not just wait until you can provide the necessary environment from the start?

TheUnfocusedOne

ask yourself a serious question

are you Going to do what ever it takes to keep it alive?

i mean its completely doable

but its got a much steeper learning curve

your bound to learn alot n if you can keep clams in a small tank you can absolutely keep them in a larger tank

then again, could be a big waste of time n money that could eventually scorch ur tank

think about

id say get a maxia or desera

maxima doesnt grow all that fast, if you get it at like 1.5-2.5 in youll probs have a year before youll need to move it

and no, you dont need to feed them at that size

i already have the tank cycling, just not going to unveil the 40 gallon just yet.

the pico is a place for a nice office area tank, so when im at home doing work on the computer i can watch my tank.

You can keep a clam in there but thats about it. You will need to stay on top of water levels, purity, etc but it can be done. Get a maxima that is over 2.5" if you do.

You can keep a clam in there but thats about it. You will need to stay on top of water levels, purity, etc but it can be done. Get a maxima that is over 2.5" if you do.

thats most certainly not the only thing that will be in this tank. I have a sump of 5 gallons and can dose a diluted mixture of things, if needed.

Archived