Pod Your Reef

Crocea Clam w/ PC Lighting

dbartkow

Galloping Goose
Kinda off topic, but I gotta say that your tank is awesome! The coolest little tank I have ever seen!

Reese

Thanx...

Do not attempt, it will fail

Beg to differ. I have kept 2 croceas under 80watts PC lighting in a 10g tank for well over a year on the sand. They added 1"+ in that time. I have since upgraded to 70w MH.

But from my estimation, you're not really all that interested in providing a good environment for the clam either way.

From my estimation, you're an as$hole. Why the hell do people seem to think they can bash people on this website? Everyone on here is a keyboard warrior and its a freakin joke. We are all reef keepers. Get along for christ sake.

Many people are saying you can't do it without backing it up. So I thought we could approach this a little more scientifically. I ordered a Quantum Light Meter today. When I get it, I will take light PAR readings from different levels in my tank under 144W of PC lighting. I would love to compare this with those that have Metal Halides. Most people with MH seem to keep there clams down at the bottom. Does anyone have PAR readings at this level?

Thanks,

Dave

FCatCH76,

How have your clams done during those 9 months? Have you seen any growth?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Sorry it took so long to answer you. I would say there has been about 1/2" to 1" in growth.

Well I got my quantum light meter and took some measurements over the weekend. First a little info on my system. I have a 29 gallon BioCube with 4x36 lighting upgrade by nanotuners. It is basically 144 watts of PC lighting. For comparison, I took measurements with different light bulb configurations that I have.

Here are the readings with the first configuration:

50/50, 10K, Actinic, 50/50

lighting-fts1.jpg

Here is the 2nd configuration:

I swapped a 50/50 out for another 10K

10K, 10K, Actinic, 50/50

lighting-fts2.jpg

Here is the final configuration:

I swapped out the Actinic for another 50/50

10K, 10K, 50/50, 50/50

lighting-fts3.jpg

In summary, it is clear that the actinics really don't provide much beneficial lighting for the corals.... although they do make them look better.

Also, the lighting with PC bulbs is much more powerful in the center of the tank. It drops off as you go towards the edges of the tank.

Finally, while the bottom of the tank may not be a good location for a crocea, the upper 1/3 of the tank (with the right bulb configuration) offers plenty of light for the clam to do well in.

Now I just have to go out and get me one :)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Beg to differ. I have kept 2 croceas under 80watts PC lighting in a 10g tank for well over a year on the sand. They added 1"+ in that time. I have since upgraded to 70w MH.

From my estimation, you're an as$hole. Why the hell do people seem to think they can bash people on this website? Everyone on here is a keyboard warrior and its a freakin joke. We are all reef keepers. Get along for christ sake.

[/quote

lmao!! it'e true though....we all like the same thing....why the hell do you guys argue soo much?

Hello everyone, had to chime in on this thread for my first post. Been in SW for 11 months and have kept my three clams for 9 of those.

I am running a BC29 and 14, but the 29 has the CPR fuge w/ skimmer, Nanotuners 4.36 upgrade which is 144w of PC's. I run 2 Act. 1 10K and a 50/50.

HTH

i dont really care what kind of lighting you have but your clam is not happy at all. you should do something about it.

why even ask if you're just going to go run out and buy the clam regardless of what people say???

Were you just hoping that they'd jump in and support your poor decision? If you can afford the Quantum meter you can afford to supply your clam with the kind of lighting it truly needs to thrive. and just a note; pretty much every clam picture posted here as "evidence" of success appears to be overextending its mantel. which is indicative of insufficient lighting. so, nice try, but FAIL.

Well I got my quantum light meter and took some measurements over the weekend. First a little info on my system. I have a 29 gallon BioCube with 4x36 lighting upgrade by nanotuners. It is basically 144 watts of PC lighting. For comparison, I took measurements with different light bulb configurations that I have.

Here are the readings with the first configuration:

50/50, 10K, Actinic, 50/50

Here is the 2nd configuration:

I swapped a 50/50 out for another 10K

10K, 10K, Actinic, 50/50

Here is the final configuration:

I swapped out the Actinic for another 50/50

10K, 10K, 50/50, 50/50

In summary, it is clear that the actinics really don't provide much beneficial lighting for the corals.... although they do make them look better.

Also, the lighting with PC bulbs is much more powerful in the center of the tank. It drops off as you go towards the edges of the tank.

Finally, while the bottom of the tank may not be a good location for a crocea, the upper 1/3 of the tank (with the right bulb configuration) offers plenty of light for the clam to do well in.

Now I just have to go out and get me one :)

Dave

I call fake..all the picture is the same the fish location is the same. coloration and brightness is the same. how can you take 3 identical pictures with the fish at the same location with 3 different bulb configeration????

j/k :P thanks for the info

Yes, it is the same picture. My point wasn't to show how my tank looks under different lighting configurations, but to take scientific measurements to see how beneficial the light is under different configurations. So I didn't waste my time taking a new picture every time.

To the critics, I have seen PAR readings under MH and they have been no better for the clam. Your criticism carries no weight! Your gut feeling that this won't work proves nothing. I was not set on getting a clam no matter what. My goal was to scientifically see whether my PC lights could support a clam. I think I have shown that, and as a result, I now intend to get one and I am pretty confident that it will do well in my tank. Can I afford to buy MH lights? Yes, I can. But, I see no benefit in doing that if I don't have to. I prefer my setup the way it is now. Thanks for your opinion.

I will provide some links of PAR readings under MH. ... I just need to find them.

Dave

I really want one for my 29 gal BC with stock lighting but i see having a clam under the pc lighting is a big fail waiting to happen..........................................................................

failfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfail

failfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailf

ailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfa

ilfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfai

lfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfail

failfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailf

ailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfa

ilfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfai

lfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfail

failfailfailfailfailfailfail

system error!

I really want one for my 29 gal BC with stock lighting but i see having a clam under the pc lighting is a big fail waiting to happen..........................................................................

failfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfail

f

ailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailf

a

ilfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfa

i

lfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfai

l

f

ailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailf

a

ilfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfa

i

lfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfailfai

l

system error!

Nah ... Clams ... water quality ... more important then lighting ... that goes for anything ... The clam may not have the colors or growth like it would under good set of T-5s or MH ...

I tend to agree that a Biocube with stock lighting does not provide enough light for a clam. I will have to turn two of my lights off and take some readings. That should be the same as stock lighting. I will let you know.

Dave

f

a

i

l

f

a

i

l

system error!

Not an Expert on this by any means but i will say this.My Buddy whom has a biocube with Stock lighting was able to Keep A Small Crocea In his 29 gallon BC for more than a year .With that siad though it mantle got huge to compensate for the lack of Light.

It's Color Never Faded and it Grew all though Slowly it is almost 2 inches now it was about 1 when he got it.

Has sense moved it to his 90 after getting halides it is growing much faster and Looks Just fine form it's Time in the Cube!

It seems everyone has their own story / opinion on clams and pc lighting. I'll just say I couldn't keep a deresa clam alive in my BC29. And it's one of the lesser light demanding clams. Just sayin'! ;)

Archived