inTank Media Baskets

Jawfish in a BC29 - Thoughts?

Bonsai

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterbuilder

Looks good. Even though it may be a big chore, I would try to move it back off the glass some. Several reasons, one being I think it will look better and more importantly - jawfish are so shy and pushing him right up against the glass might not make him/her very happy at all. You could then maybe glue of stack a few small rocks or a barnacle shell around the PVC if you feel like it.

• 4 weeks later...
Looks good. Even though it may be a big chore, I would try to move it back off the glass some. Several reasons, one being I think it will look better and more importantly - jawfish are so shy and pushing him right up against the glass might not make him/her very happy at all. You could then maybe glue of stack a few small rocks or a barnacle shell around the PVC if you feel like it.

Nice...

good to hear basser1 has had one for a year or so. despite pristine water quality, mine "wasted away" over the course of 6 or 8 months at temps of about 80 degrees. i think basser1 said his/hers is kept at 78-80, which is about where i was keeping mine. it would be interesting to note if basser1's setup allows for constant temperates in the 78-80 range. mine would fluctuate between 77-80 or 78-81. perhaps this added swing causes considerable more stress.

it became highly active, ran laps around my powerhead, and ultimately became very skinny despite eating like a monster. all indicative of an overheating fish.

dahlia: do you have a bsj? 74-76 seems to be the accepted norm although there is no concrete evidence to support it. they are from mexico where water runs cooler. although not a true "coldwater" fish, it has evolved under cooler conditions. temps above that are similar to keeping tropical fish at 84 to 86 - not immediately detrimental but long-term stress will catch up with it. it's great that basser1 has had success but that may or may not be indicative of a specimen's general requirements.

bonsai: it's great that your bsj is doing well. my only advice is to watch it and see if you think it's getting skinnier despite having a normal appetite. if you notice such behavior or hyperactivity, you might consider dropping your temps a little more -although 74-76 seems to be the acceptable parameter. truly beautiful fish with great personality.

Hey reefdan,

remember that digital thermometers suck something awful. Not sure if you were using one, but if you were there is a good chance you might have been north of the 77-81.

• 1 month later...

one of my LFS said he sells his BSJF for 60 bucks when he gets them in...

his place is in pasadena off of colorado blvd. its called ptf pets, i think!

im gonna have him order one for me :] just a notice to keep yer wallets nice and full :P

Jake..... If that's the case, believe me that's a steal!! I paid $150 bucks for mine. The lowest I've seen on the'net so far is $75, BlueZoo Aquatics is having a half prices sale on them.

Now before you shell over your dollars to your LFS, I'd have them keep it for you a couple of weeks, longer if they'll do it. You want to be sure there aren't any parasites and also make sure your bluespot is eating! I believe the secret to keeping these is to start with a healthy one! If you get him, be sure to post pics!

• 3 weeks later...

That is one clever lookin' BlueSpot condo! Complete with a front and back door! Post pics when you get it in your tank, along with your BSJF of course! ;)

Archived