Coral Vue Hydros

Jawfish in a BC29 - Thoughts?

Bonsai

stoney waters

Come to think of it that was the original reason for the holes, to let the air escape so that it would sink. If you roll it around in the water the air should be able to exit from the opening and stay submerged. I just wiggled it into the sand.

I just used reef epoxy to glue the barnacle to the PVC. I also cut down the tee section of the fitting before I glued it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoney, I know you said you cut down the PVC before placing the barnacle over it but did you make sure to file down any sharp edges? I'm wondering if that would be a problem area?

I used PVC cuters to slice off the tee, I dont belive there was a problem with the edges. A little sanding might be a good idea.

Couldn't I just find a Barnacle that was large enough to slip over the "T" ... so that I wouldn't have to chop it off?

I am reading this with interest because I'd like to add a BS Jawfish to my BC29 down the road.

Does anyone know the subterranean needs of a BSJ? I see them in large aquariums and it seems to me that they build a burrow to which they can dash into and quickly spin around and poke their head out. Do they like the tunnel concept (like the PVC unit shown earlier) or do they just like a hole with space at the bottom to turn around?

Anyone familiar with fish behavior?

I am building my rockscape now and would like to build this functionality into it at the outset, rather than tear things up later when I'm ready to add this beautiful expensive fish.

thanks in advance...

Joe

Well, let me say that I've had my bluespot for a year now. In the beginning when I first got him, I used a simple length of pvc tube. Nothing as elaborate as Stoneys'! I buried it in the sand, with only one opening showing. He immediately took to it. After a couple of months however, he abandoned the pvc and started to make his own burrows! In my BC29, he has 3 burrows with an intricate tunnel system. He goes in one burrow and "pops" out of another! One thing I would recommend, I made sure all large rocks went to the bottom of the tank, I didn't want to have any collapses! Also very important to have a lid, they do, and will jump. Provide them with plenty of LR rubble of different sizes, the more the better! They love it and will use all of it to line their burrows and tunnels with. It's comical to see them move these "mini boulders" around! If you provide them with their special needs, they make great pets! I have mine trained to eat out of my hand!

The finished product, thanks for the inspiration Stony Waters!

The smaller of the two barnacles is a false door (removing it would risk breaking the barnacle that I'm using) ... the other leads down the PVC pipe. :)

barnaclehouseuz3.jpg

Congrats! Great job and it looks so natural. Just a tip, when I brought my bluespot home from the lfs, I acclimated him and turned off all lights. I then took the bag and gently opened it near the pvc opening. After gently tapping the sides of the bag, he came out and went directly in his new "digs"! Keep us posted with pics once you get him!

They are a great addition....sweet set up for your fish by the way.

you'll really enjoy it. The burrow idea is great. I'm going to have to try it.

Here is my little guy.

post-40162-1228969189_thumb.jpg

Just a quick note ... when I submerged the unit, I had to be sure to tip the PVC enclosure back and forth a few times to get the water to fill it up, and consequently the air pockets to come to the surface.

Otherwise, it floats :P

Looking good, Bonsai. I still think you need to put some of that GSP in the barnacle that does not have a hole in it. :lol:

seriously good job.

They are a great addition....sweet set up for your fish by the way.

you'll really enjoy it. The burrow idea is great. I'm going to have to try it.

Here is my little guy.

That's a nice lookin' Bluespot! How long have you had him/her? :)

in case you don't know, BSJs are cold-water fish. unless you're running your tank at 74 to 76 degrees, don't expect it to live more than 4-6 months. they're from mexico where the water runs cooler.

trust me. i found out the hard way. amazing fish, they just don't do well in higher reef temps. i miss it dearly

dahliaheartsyou

looks awesome bonsai!!!

can't wait to see the lil dude or dudette in there!

in case you don't know, BSJs are cold-water fish. unless you're running your tank at 74 to 76 degrees, don't expect it to live more than 4-6 months. they're from mexico where the water runs cooler.

trust me. i found out the hard way. amazing fish, they just don't do well in higher reef temps. i miss it dearly

nope, coldwater is usually 60- low 70s in saltwater, bsj go for 72-80.

basser1 has had theirs or a year also.

Yeah - my BC29 stays around 74 - 76 ... sounds like that's a perfect temperature a BSJ :)

That's a nice lookin' Bluespot! How long have you had him/her? :)

Thanks..!

I've had the fish for about 2 months...it seems very happy and healthy. It's by far my favorite.

This is my 2nd try for the nano cube 24dx and it going well.

Do you know of any other special needs these guys have? I haven't heard about the cool water issue with them until this thread, but it sounds legitiment.

thanks for any help. ;)

I have had a Blue Spot Jawfish in my tank for a year now and he is happier than ever with all kinds of tunnels. If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Rathje70

Also, check out my thread, you will be able to see pictures of him in his home.

May I ask how long you have kept your bsj in the tank for? I'd hate to invest on a fish like that, get attached only to have it die a couple months down the line.

Anyone else been hosting a bsj in their tanks with temps around 80? I'm REALLY interested in getting one but my bc29 runs at a very consistent 80 degrees.

My tank is right @79-80 it's the 24g JBJ NC..the fish seems to be doing great.

I would reccomend one. The personality on these guys are awesome.

My LFS has them for $40.00. It's seems to be the best price around.

Good luck-

Umm.... Me! My temps hover around 78 to 80 degrees and Digger is doin' fine! I just don't think the cooler temps is that big of an issue, JMO. ;)

Basser1-

What would you think about housing 2....can they get along?

Thanks-

Archived