Top Shelf Aquatics

Jawfish in a BC29 - Thoughts?

Bonsai

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
May I ask how long you have kept your bsj in the tank for? I'd hate to invest on a fish like that, get attached only to have it die a couple months down the line.

I've had him for a year now!

My tank is right @79-80 it's the 24g JBJ NC..the fish seems to be doing great.

I would reccomend one. The personality on these guys are awesome.

My LFS has them for $40.00. It's seems to be the best price around.

Good luck-

WOWZA!! Can you PM me your lfs info? Will they ship? That's an incredible price! My bluespot was a Christmas gift from my family and my lfs had them for $150 buckeroos! :o

Basser1-

What would you think about housing 2....can they get along?

Thanks-

It can be done, but I would only try it in a larger tank. I belong to the Bluespot Jawfish club, (yes, there is such a club), and there is someone that has 2 in a large tank. She's pretty sure she has a pair and has posted pics and vids of the male "flashing". Here's a link to the club if you're interested in reading more about them!

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluesp...espot-club.html

BTW, the third pic down on the first page, you'll see a pic of Digger givin' you all a "high five"!

And here is a link to the person that has the pair of bluespots in her tank, with pics and videos.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluesp...-bj-misses.html

I've had him for a year now!

It can be done, but I would only try it in a larger tank. I belong to the Bluespot Jawfish club, (yes, there is such a club), and there is someone that has 2 in a large tank. She's pretty sure she has a pair and has posted pics and vids of the male "flashing". Here's a link to the club if you're interested in reading more about them!

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluesp...espot-club.html

BTW, the third pic down on the first page, you'll see a pic of Digger givin' you all a "high five"!

And here is a link to the person that has the pair of bluespots in her tank, with pics and videos.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluesp...-bj-misses.html

Basser1-

Thanks. I'll keep just the 1. The links are cool. I appreciate you sending me the info.

;)

WHAT?!

are you talking about bluespots?

I certainly hope not - I think the wholesale price on BSJ is more than $40. I have my fish guy checking the wholesaler daily for a BSJ to become available ... he said that they are available "about 10% of the time" ... pretty rare around here, apparently.

WHAT?!

are you talking about bluespots?

Yeah...BSJ!

I kid you not after taxes and everything I paid 44....or someting like that. After hearing the going rates for them I was suprised....The fish is was very healthy when I bought it..and still is...I've had it for a couple of months now..

I certainly hope not - I think the wholesale price on BSJ is more than $40. I have my fish guy checking the wholesaler daily for a BSJ to become available ... he said that they are available "about 10% of the time" ... pretty rare around here, apparently.

I'll ask my guy and see if he'll give me any info his wholesale costs....

It seems unusual for the price hes got them for....but its surley around $40.00

Yeah...BSJ!

I kid you not after taxes and everything I paid 44....or someting like that. After hearing the going rates for them I was suprised....The fish is was very healthy when I bought it..and still is...I've had it for a couple of months now..

I'll ask my guy and see if he'll give me any info his wholesale costs....

It seems unusual for the price hes got them for....but its surley around $40.00

Thanks for everyones replies....its great info for me. It's great to get your help and opinions.

dahliaheartsyou
Yeah...BSJ!

excuse me while i have a heart attack.

lucky... <_<

Mind shipping a few to michigan at that price, lol.

Hello all-

FYI..concerning the prices on the BSJ.

Ok, I just got back from my LFS and have some info on the BSJ's there.

My guy gave me his wholesale price which is around 46.00 He's not sure the exact amount. He says it differs from month to month.

Since I purchased my rock, sand, and other equipment, he gave me the wholesale price. I ponited out that he's advertised them for 40.00 on the tanks and it looks like I pointed of a priceing error.

He stated they should be $90.00. not $40.00. He said someone missed marked the price.....yeah.

Anyhow, sorry about the confusion.

once again, thanks for the replies...

My guy gave me his wholesale price which is around 46.00 He's not sure the exact amount. He says it differs from month to month.

Yeah - that's what I thought :)

I can't wait to get my BSJ!

I finally received my Blue Spotted Jawfish today.

I built the PVC + Barnacle Shell contraption a week or two ago, and today when I introduced the Jawfish, I made a little contraption to ensure he tried out his new home before starting to dig holes around the tank :)

jawfish01eg6.jpg

jawfish02er7.jpg

Woohoo!

dahliaheartsyou

aw he is a CUTIE!!!!!

looks great!

did you use the 3/4" pvc like stoney too?

jw, because as of now my sand bed is only like 1.25 inches (which is teh suks for jawfish) and I'm trying to figure out if there is a skinnier pvc that would work but not be too small for the fish or just add more sand, and then I'd have to figure out how much more sand to add....buh.

aw he is a CUTIE!!!!!

looks great!

did you use the 3/4" pvc like stoney too?

jw, because as of now my sand bed is only like 1.25 inches (which is teh suks for jawfish) and I'm trying to figure out if there is a skinnier pvc that would work but not be too small for the fish or just add more sand, and then I'd have to figure out how much more sand to add....buh.

I did use the recommended 3/4" PVC, but Stoney Waters did say 1/2" could be used also, and I think that's true. I didn't have an incredibly deep sand bed, but I added about 1/2" of "Special Grade Reef Sand" which is chunkier than Sugar Sized sand, but not as big as Crushed Coral. I also sprinkled a handful of medium sized crushed coral on the sand bed too ... gotta give the jawfish something to play with :)

dahliaheartsyou
I did use the recommended 3/4" PVC, but Stoney Waters did say 1/2" could be used also, and I think that's true. I didn't have an incredibly deep sand bed, but I added about 1/2" of "Special Grade Reef Sand" which is chunkier than Sugar Sized sand, but not as big as Crushed Coral. I also sprinkled a handful of medium sized crushed coral on the sand bed too ... gotta give the jawfish something to play with :)

ok cool, i'll do that then...

and i planned on adding some chunkier stuff too...how many pounds of that did you have to add for a 1/2"?

thanks =]

nope, coldwater is usually 60- low 70s in saltwater, bsj go for 72-80.

basser1 has had theirs or a year also.

good to hear basser1 has had one for a year or so. despite pristine water quality, mine "wasted away" over the course of 6 or 8 months at temps of about 80 degrees. i think basser1 said his/hers is kept at 78-80, which is about where i was keeping mine. it would be interesting to note if basser1's setup allows for constant temperates in the 78-80 range. mine would fluctuate between 77-80 or 78-81. perhaps this added swing causes considerable more stress.

it became highly active, ran laps around my powerhead, and ultimately became very skinny despite eating like a monster. all indicative of an overheating fish.

dahlia: do you have a bsj? 74-76 seems to be the accepted norm although there is no concrete evidence to support it. they are from mexico where water runs cooler. although not a true "coldwater" fish, it has evolved under cooler conditions. temps above that are similar to keeping tropical fish at 84 to 86 - not immediately detrimental but long-term stress will catch up with it. it's great that basser1 has had success but that may or may not be indicative of a specimen's general requirements.

bonsai: it's great that your bsj is doing well. my only advice is to watch it and see if you think it's getting skinnier despite having a normal appetite. if you notice such behavior or hyperactivity, you might consider dropping your temps a little more -although 74-76 seems to be the acceptable parameter. truly beautiful fish with great personality.

bonsai: it's great that your bsj is doing well. my only advice is to watch it and see if you think it's getting skinnier despite having a normal appetite. if you notice such behavior or hyperactivity, consider dropping your temps to 76. it's easier on the bsj and your other inhabitants wont mind much. truly beautiful fish with great personality.

Yeah - my BC29 stays around 74 - 76 ... sounds like that's a perfect temperature a BSJ

Yeah - my BC29 stays around 74 - 76 ... sounds like that's a perfect temperature a BSJ

yeah, sorry. i saw that and edited my post to reflect it.

damn i want another bsj...

reefdan..... My bluespot is doing fine! Temps definately not affecting him at all, even at 78-80 degrees. I wouldn't think a temp swing of +/- 1 degree would have that much of an effect. I can't say what was stressing out your blue because I don't know about your set-up, i.e tank size, sand depth, other inhabitants (maybe some other fish was stressing him), water params, etc., you get the picture. If you'll visit the blue spot club on Reef Sanctuary. They have extensive info on bluespots and their care. Right now the temp issue is just a theory and not conclusive. Here is a link for more info:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluesp...-bluespots.html

Bonsai..... Thanks for the pics and glad you got your bluespot. He looks happy with his new home! Keep us updated on how he's doing, eating, etc. ;)

reefdan..... My bluespot is doing fine! Temps definately not affecting him at all, even at 78-80 degrees. I wouldn't think a temp swing of +/- 1 degree would have that much of an effect. I can't say what was stressing out your blue because I don't know about your set-up, i.e tank size, sand depth, other inhabitants (maybe some other fish was stressing him), water params, etc., you get the picture. If you'll visit the blue spot club on Reef Sanctuary. They have extensive info on bluespots and their care. Right now the temp issue is just a theory and not conclusive. Here is a link for more info:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluesp...-bluespots.html

Bonsai..... Thanks for the pics and glad you got your bluespot. He looks happy with his new home! Keep us updated on how he's doing, eating, etc. ;)

My BSJ has been at my LFS for a bit of time - so he's used to pellet and mysis food. He ate several pieces of frozen mysis when I fed the tank tonight :)

Has has ventured out of the home I created for him and seems to be making another home in the front corner of the tank under some rocks. This is going to be a blast to watch this guy - he's so animated, and big! He's like 3.5" or even 4"

Hey basser, what kind of camera setup are you using? Your shots have incredible colors and are so sharp and vivid.

Jason

I finally received my Blue Spotted Jawfish today.

I built the PVC + Barnacle Shell contraption a week or two ago, and today when I introduced the Jawfish, I made a little contraption to ensure he tried out his new home before starting to dig holes around the tank :)

jawfish01eg6.jpg

jawfish02er7.jpg

Woohoo!

Bonsai-

Once again, sweet set up. Nice looking fish. Good luck with your new friend.

I'd like to set up something similar to your fish's home. Would you reccomend 3/4" or 1/2" PVC??

Thanks.

Bonsai-

Once again, sweet set up. Nice looking fish. Good luck with your new friend.

I'd like to set up something similar to your fish's home. Would you reccomend 3/4" or 1/2" PVC??

Thanks.

Nevermind..I just read the info you stated above to dahlia......thanks

Archived