Pod Your Reef

maxima lighting

skimmy

is 2 x 55 watt T5 power compacts enough light for a maxima clam, and if so should i have it near the top of the tank or will it be enough to have it in the sand bed

I have a 20L with 4x24 T5.

My 3 inch clam is on the sandbed open, fulll of color. Had em bout a month.

I had tried to place the clam on a good chunk of ruble so I could relocate if necessary.

That sucker kept jumping off, so I gave in and made a 4 inch saucer out of plummers putty,

placed that on the tank bottom, covered with sand, placed clam on top.

Worked great. I don't forsee a relocation as my clam is perfectly happy on the sandbed.

be sure to keep an eye on your alk/ca as that clam will use it up.

best-o-luck

is 2 x 55 watt T5 power compacts enough light for a maxima clam, and if so should i have it near the top of the tank or will it be enough to have it in the sand bed

I've had one in my RSM since month 3. But I put it near the top. Really as close to the top as I could! :) It attached right away to the rock it was on. I had no issues at all. I would still put it in the top 1/3 of the tank if I was doing it again. Besides, everything I have read says Maximas like to dwell on rocky areas and you have to be careful about getting sand in the gills. But the above poster has no issues either so you might have to see what it likes better. I have now upgraded my lighting but it did fine under stock RSM.

Good luck!!

• 2 months later...

make sure you put it on the rocks, maxima's prefer rocks over the sandbed. If you want to put it on the sandbed, make it connect to a rock disc first. Just make sure it's getting enough light

Archived