Top Shelf Aquatics

What types of clams can survive under power compact lighting?

nyfishguy

just wondering....have a 34 gallon with 110 watts of PC lighting....really love giant clams but have no experience with them....so can they all or just a select one or two??

love to find out the answer to this

thanks everyone

For longevity clams need more intese light than can be provided by PCs. Best to keep them as your desktop background rather than in your tank.

dahliaheartsyou

i hope you arent talking about a tridacna giga, as they get like 4+ feet and NOT for nanos...

the only possibility would be a derasa or a squamosa which would still need to be in the higher part of the tank, but they shouldnt be kept in smaller tanks due to their size and feeding requirements.

so no, pc lighting isnt good for them...

also, clams need a stable, 6 month+ tank

don't sell yourself too short with the lighting. They are brighter than standard PC bulbs, it is better to refer to them as T5s.

I have a crocea under that lighting, up high

blizzardscout2

I have been told that Derasa and Squamosa are the only ones that you could keep in PC. I have a Squamosa in my BC 14 under 72watts. I plan to move it into a larger tank in the future when it outgrows my tank. It is doing great.

Reese

i hope you arent talking about a tridacna giga, as they get like 4+ feet and NOT for nanos...

the only possibility would be a derasa or a squamosa which would still need to be in the higher part of the tank, but they shouldnt be kept in smaller tanks due to their size and feeding requirements.

so no, pc lighting isnt good for them...

also, clams need a stable, 6 month+ tank

Kind of off topic, but your sig refers to Black Dahlia Murder right?

dahliaheartsyou

like phases said, longetivity of the clams mh/ t5 with individual reflectors is best

and like stevie said HIGH UP is the only choice with that.

Kind of off topic, but your sig refers to Black Dahlia Murder right?

no, dahlia is my name (like in real life too lolz)

i love the black dahlia murder (metal band if you dont know) and no i wasnt named after the murder...

:scarry:

All that matters is having enough PAR, doesn't matter how they get it. PCs will work fine, you'll just have to keep it closer to the lights (a few inches from the surface, most likely). However, you (and everyone) should ditch PCs - what a terrible way to light anything (unless you have a stock nano of some type).

Game

If that's his game, you know he's single ;)

blizzardscout2
like phases said, longetivity of the clams mh/ t5 with individual reflectors is best

and like stevie said HIGH UP is the only choice with that.

no, dahlia is my name (like in real life too lolz)

i love the black dahlia murder (metal band if you dont know) and no i wasnt named after the murder...

:scarry:

Oh no I should have said the band, I like them too.

Reese

actually it's an RSM so i think there like t-5's??? what's that about? are they power compacts or t-5's b/c they're listed as t-5 power compacts....??????

Like I tell everyone, they are magical, and that is all you have to know.

Ok,

They are T5 tubes, T5 is a sizing, smaller the number, smaller the diameter. PC bubls are T6, your office fluorescents are either T8 or T12.

The RSM bulbs do have the standard square pin connection, like PCs. But they are T5 in size, 55W and give off much more light than normal PC bulbs which are usually 65W. The reflector on this tank is pretty well done.

I have had a clam up high in this tank for a long time now. Plus all of my SPS has more than grown 10x its orginal size since I purchased most last winter/early spring.

If you refer to the bulbs as PCs, most are going to tell you no way, as I would for a clam. But tell them they are magical and go from there.

There are certain types of clams you can keep, but they have to be up high, I don't think they would do well near the bottom, MH would be the choice to reach them down there.

Archived