Coral Vue Hydros

the day when nothing comes on;

Ancelot

Hello all,

I wonder what's the longest period of time you have left your clam without light?

I am not a sadist. Just looking into my options for a hot office during Sundays ):

Cheers all,

MJ

i'm sure the clam can go a day or two without lighting (e.g. shipping).

but temperature variation is critically important. i don't think they can tolerate high temps (or low temps) very well for very long.

consider using a small chiller or fan cooling with ATO to stabilize salinity.

side note: oxygen levels are most important, obviously. so some power needs to be provided for equipment to function to aerate the tank.

i'm sure the clam can go a day or two without lighting (e.g. shipping).

but temperature variation is critically important. i don't think they can tolerate high temps (or low temps) very well for very long.

consider using a small chiller or fan cooling with ATO to stabilize salinity.

side note: oxygen levels are most important, obviously. so some power needs to be provided for equipment to function to aerate the tank.

hello tinyreef,

thanks for the input. Appreciate it alot! :D

Yes, temperature is of serious concern. Therefore I am using an Iceprobe to control the water temperature and once in a while drive back to office in the name of work to see how are the animals doing inside the tank. (: Hopefully that will not cause too much of an alarm for them (:

My filter will still be running as per usual. Nothing's off except the air con. that's the iggy part of putting a tank in the office :/

anyway I am hooking up my 150 watts MH this coming monday. So hopefully the clam likes it heh :D

marc jacobs :D

Before I hook up my 150w MH,

I will like to ask if 2 x 18W PL are gonna do a job for clams? (:

marc jacobs :D

PL?? You mean PC...

I've never heard of PL Lighting but unless it is some super powered lighting that no one has ever heard of, it probably won't be enough.

You might want to give some parameters on the tank. The depth has a lot to do with how much light you need. Maximas can get away with a little less light than Croceas.

But IMO, use the 150 MH.

PL?? You mean PC...

I've never heard of PL Lighting but unless it is some super powered lighting that no one has ever heard of, it probably won't be enough.

You might want to give some parameters on the tank. The depth has a lot to do with how much light you need. Maximas can get away with a little less light than Croceas.

But IMO, use the 150 MH.

oops, my bad GobyDude.

Yes, PL lights are with reference to PC lights. It's just a different lingo used in different countries.

but anyway,

just to share.

My water parameters are stable. So taking into account that depth of my tank is 1 feet and the lightings are 2 x 18watts PC, how will my clam fare?

P.S I got some replies from friends except one saying that it is near to impossible to keep one thriving.

However, I still want to hear from the more experienced people akin all of you here (:

marc jacobs

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see any clam thriving 1foot down with power compact bulbs. A big, bad ass T5 array with individual parabolic reflectors may be able to keep a derasa down there, but the other clams generally need more light.

Newer T5 HOs can be just as good as MH in an average depth tank as long as they're set up with individual reflectors and you use the good bulbs in the right spectrum, but MH is easier assuming you can keep the temps stable. Each has its flaw that you have to work around.

Archived