Innovative Marine Aquariums

Thinking of getting a Crocea

Nick's Reef

I have a 24gal Aquapod. I run a 150w finnex Hqi fixture with 2x 18w 460nm pc actinics. Flow is provided by a mj900, Korilia 1 and 2. My calcium is stable at 400-420 and total alkalinity is around 3.0 meq/L. I'm currently running only filterfloss for filtation but will be getting a sapphire aquatics protein skimmer for christmas. I see thses beutiful aquacultured blue Corceas at my favorite LFS, they're always super healthy, quickly closing up as my hand passes over the tank and quickly reopening. I have read UrchinHeads wonderful thread on clam care but still have a few questions.

1. Would I be o.k. to place the crocea on the sandbed (with a rock underneath it of course) under my current lighting or would I need to move it farhter up? if I needed to do so, then I will most likely not get a clam as I plan on filling up the rocks with SPS.

2. How much calcium do they really suck up? I currently dose so I'm ok with it, just wanted to know.

3.What foods are best to feed the clam? I currently only feed Rod's food, I am going to start feeding Dr.G's phyotplankton as soon as my LFS gets small bottles again.

I don't plan on adding a clam for atlest another 2 month, my tank is over 15months old, so stablility is not and issue. Thanks,

-Nick

Hey Nick,

I can only really help with number 3. My clam is currently under a 70W halide on the upper portion of the tank. I don't feed it at all and it does great. I'm not sure if you are set on feeding, but my experience is you don't have to. Sorry I can only help there!

1)Croceas actually like being in just the sand bed itself but if you don't have a DSB yes I would suggest a rock underneath

2)Mine and the Maxima I have havent sucked up much but they're only 2" right now

3)Clams really get all the food they need from the water column but mine go nuts when I add Coral Frenzy. Be careful with Phytoplankton though because if some does survive and reproduce it does so fast and can actually kill the clam.

Im no expert Nick but i think you should be fine putting the clam anywhere in your tank. I plan on getting one for my tank also. They are so pretty.

CollegeNano: I'm not set on feeding, I'm fine and actually glad I don't have too.

B.C Fisher: 1.My snadbed is so thin in the spot I plan of putting the clam, so would it be ok there. I could brush the sand awya so it can attach to the bottom of the tank. I plan on keeping the tank up for a long time, so it won't have to be moved.

2. I plan on getting a full grown crocea that's about 6" long, i'm sure it'll suck up a ton of calcium.

3. never knew that about the phyto, thanks for that info, I may not get some because of that. You saved me $12 and a lot of hassle! :)

Atomic: My Lfs keeps theirs in the sand, but like my tank, it's so thin that it's just for looks. i used to have a pretty deep sandbed, but cyano made me siphon most of it up.

thanks everyone for chiming in, maybe Ez will know about the sand ordeal, he's a clam expert so I've heard.

1. Would I be o.k. to place the crocea on the sandbed (with a rock underneath it of course) under my current lighting or would I need to move it farhter up? if I needed to do so, then I will most likely not get a clam as I plan on filling up the rocks with SPS.

Yes it could go on the sand bed. It will just depend on the clam. If its constantly falling over then you have a problem where it is and it will need to be moved. Try to get it as directly under the bulb as you can because MH is a point light source and the farther you get away from the direct center of the bulb the less light.

It is important to keep it on a rock that is above the sand by a bit. Any sand storms can get into its gill's which can hurt it.

2. How much calcium do they really suck up? I currently dose so I'm ok with it, just wanted to know.

It just depends. If you are going heavy SPS you will need to be putting allot of Ca in anyway so the clam will not make that much of an impact. If its just the clam then your water change (if you use good water) should cover it.

3.What foods are best to feed the clam? I currently only feed Rod's food, I am going to start feeding Dr.G's phyotplankton as soon as my LFS gets small bottles again.

Anything in the 50 nm range will work. Thats what it strains out of the water column. Also you will get an added benefit from a clam that you may not have been expecting. It will take up some of the nitrates in your water for you.

I don't plan on adding a clam for atlest another 2 month, my tank is over 15months old, so stablility is not and issue. Thanks,

At 15 months you could add one now if you wanted. Be warned though Corcea are the most light needing and difficult clams to take care of. Perhaps you should consider a Maxima instead...?

CollegeNano: I'm not set on feeding, I'm fine and actually glad I don't have too.

B.C Fisher: 1.My snadbed is so thin in the spot I plan of putting the clam, so would it be ok there. I could brush the sand awya so it can attach to the bottom of the tank. I plan on keeping the tank up for a long time, so it won't have to be moved.

Don't do that. Put it on a rock that keeps it a bit out of the sand. Attaching to your bottom isn't a good plan because if you do have to move it, God forbid, you are looking at having to cut the foot in a way that is very difficult to get to without stirring allot of stuff up along the way and possibly killing the clam.

2. I plan on getting a full grown crocea that's about 6" long, i'm sure it'll suck up a ton of calcium.

If its fully grown its not going to be taking up all that much Ca anymore.

3. never knew that about the phyto, thanks for that info, I may not get some because of that. You saved me $12 and a lot of hassle! :)

Try reef chili. My sps like it as well.

1) Croceas are rock-boring clams and need to be placed on rocks. You could get a small rock, bury part in the sand and put it on top.

2) It burns through Ca, but you'll be fine if you dose. I've never noticed a big decline w/ mine and it is growing well.

3) Don't really need to feed, but DT's or other Phyto is good.

Thanks UrchinHead, I would get a maximaand my LFS can get gourgeous gold teardrop maximas but the get to big. I'll just put the crocea on a rock on the sand. I may not even get one anymore though since I got a pygmy angelfish. he hasn't touched coral but they'rre know to like clams.

Thanks UrchinHead, I would get a maximaand my LFS can get gourgeous gold teardrop maximas but the get to big. I'll just put the crocea on a rock on the sand. I may not even get one anymore though since I got a pygmy angelfish. he hasn't touched coral but they'rre know to like clams.

Too big? A Maxima? They get to be the same size as a Corcea mate. Six inches or so. Yes, you have to be mindful of the pygmy angel. I had one and it was fine for a good long time then all of a sudden he started nipping at corals. Just keep yours well fed with a mixed diet including nori and it may keep things at bay.

I was going to say the same thing....Maxima? Too big??

I have a Maxima and it's on my top rock in the tank. Reason? I had it under stock RSM lighting but have since upgraded to the Outer Orbit with MH. With both lighting it has never moved from it's rock. It has a stronghold and WILL NOT let go. But I didn't want to risk it getting sand in it's gills. As much as you try not to disturb the sand bed it does get stirred up.

I have never fed my Maxima. When I got it, it was about 2 inches. It's growing and thriving and I've had it in my tank since month 3. Yes, I know that was early so at 15 months you are fine!

Actually, my Maxima is my easiest inhabitant! Good luck. Get one!

I thought maxima's got bigger? If they don't then, hello gold teardrop! I'm waiting for a skimmer is my problem, after x-mas I'll have one, and a ton of cash for corals. As for the Pygmy, I feed him Rod's food and he loves everything in it. i just thought of a place to put it this moring so I'm convinced. The maxima's are full grown too so I won't have to worry about calcium to much. Thanks guys for all the help.

To tag on the end a little, I'm getting my first clam next week, a Crocea. I want to put it on the sand, with a porous piece of LRR under it. The problem is that my clown started hosting the sand bed, which means that he's stirring up a bit. Should I change the plan and have an area for it on the rocks?

Archived