Pod Your Reef

Tridacna crocea in 29 gallon tank

harmoniakun

Hello:

I am considering purchasing a Tridacna crocea for my 29 gallon reef. My alkalinity is 8dKH and my calcium is about 400ppm. I use Reef Crystals salt and dose 1/4 tsp of Seachem Reef Advantage calcium twice a week. There seems to be enough buffer in my salt mix to keep the creatures within happy. My lighting is a 4 x 24watt t-5 Current Sundial fixture with the stock bulbs. My nitrates are low.

I plan to place the clam about 7”- 9" from the light. Does this sound like too little light? Also, will this clam likely cause problems with my calcium and alkalinity levels? I've read a few places that they deplete calcium and alkalinity much faster than most corals.

Please let me know your thoughts. Please let me know if I am on the path to failure.

Thanks,

T :lol:

I don't think you have enough light. I have five clams in a 25g (w/ sump of course), but I run MH.

The calcium and what not is an issue, you just have to increase dosings and test to ensure you maintain a proper Ca, Mg, strontium range. Clams are calcium hogs.

I have a maxima clam in my BC29. But it's under 150 watt 14k MH. Your lighting is not enough for a crocea, they are more light demanding than other clams. That being said, I'm sure there will be those that will chime in and say you can do it. I dose my tank every day with Ca. Alk., and Mag. You read correct, clams do use up a lot of Ca.!

Hi,

Thank you both for your advice!! Perhaps I will skip the Tridacna for now. I will likely add a Acanthastrea or Lobophyllia instead.

T

Hi,

Thank you both for your advice!! Perhaps I will skip the Tridacna for now. I will likely add a Acanthastrea or Lobophyllia instead.

T

Acan should do well under T5's...I have quite a few under my HQI/T5 combo, but they seem to prefer less direct lighting, and do well in terms of props in those conditions.

Best of luck!

Archived