Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Step by step LED light help

Chiefmcfuz

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evil there is lots of interest on another site I belong to as well so when you are done I am hoping to be able to link it with your permission.

Looks like that guy Aqua_Pro_Builder (Wingo or whatever his name is) is trying something, but his PAR numbers are really low for the wattage he is running. Must not be using 3W LEDs.

A few members on MR have asked about it. Wingo is good people he is working on the LED thing himself I am not too sure what lights he is using.

I just wanted to thank evil66 for his great contribution. i want to create some mods to mass produce and keep cost as low as possible especially for those who are not good dyi's. I'm learning, but not quickly enough. Thanks again. I dont think too many people realize the time and effort it is to do something like this, but it's very involved. You seem to be a very selfless individual and i thank you for it and do greatly appreciate your help that you given me! Thanks for your help on that DYI mh display. It seems to br working great.!

I just wanted to thank evil66 for his great contribution. i want to create some mods to mass produce and keep cost as low as possible especially for those who are not good dyi's. I'm learning, but not quickly enough. Thanks again. I dont think too many people realize the time and effort it is to do something like this, but it's very involved. You seem to be a very selfless individual and i thank you for it and do greatly appreciate your help that you given me! Thanks for your help on that DYI mh display. It seems to br working great.!

AGREED!!!

HI guys, i am new to your site, i joined as i have read about evilc66 on the talkingreef site and wanted to see what info i could find here in regards to led lights. i guess i am in the rite place.

lucifa

HI guys, i am new to your site, i joined as i have read about evilc66 on the talkingreef site and wanted to see what info i could find here in regards to led lights. i guess i am in the rite place.

lucifa

Just do a search for LED in this forum and you will find several threads chronicling people's journeys into LED DIY. If you have any questions after you've had a chance to read up on it be sure to ask.

:welcome:

I just wanted to thank evil66 for his great contribution. Thanks again. I dont think too many people realize the time and effort it is to do something like this, but it's very involved. You seem to be a very selfless individual and i thank you for it and do greatly appreciate your help that you given me!

+11111111111111111111111111111one1!ONE!1

I have built a few, including the one you linked to. That one works pretty well, but has some limitations. They are definitely not as efficient and can get quite warm when driven at high currents and voltages. It's also harder (but not impossible) to dim these circuits. The resistance of the current limiting resistor is quite small (0.5-1.5 ohms depending on current), making the use of a potentiometer almost impossible.

There are some other alternatives that you can build, but all of them will require the use of surface mount parts that can be difficult to work with.

Hi evilc66, nice thread. Could you advice on how many LED's would be adequate for an AquaClear 110 fuge with light good for chaeto as well as some SPS frags? Thanks

Are you trying to use your fuge as a mini frag tank?

At the moment it has chaeto only but would like to try having some frags there yes

Archived