Innovative Marine Aquariums

Step by step LED light help

Chiefmcfuz

useless, those are 5mm LEDs and don't supply enough PAR for plants, let alone corals.

Agreed. Useless, unless you have a 6" tall aquarium. Unless the LEDs are high power, they don't have adequate power to penetrate water, and provide reasonable PAR levels for corals.

I did a test a while back using 20 5mm LEDs, 20,000mcd with a 15 degree viewing angle, and found that they produce less than 30 PAR at 20". Most PCs do better than that.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patched and no more leaks. Definitely made me feel more comfortable over the holidays. Just got to sand and paint, and get the trim back up.

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

• 2 weeks later...
FishOnTheBrainCoral

what do the LED gods think of this? I have a 28bow and am slowly moving to the idea of LED how many of these would I need? They claim 4500-10000k.

also how many blue or royal blues should I put with them? still 50/50 with them being that bright?

I want enough light that I can put any clam or SPS I want. and I like the look a little more on the blue side

Thanks!

The brightness of those LEDs make it difficult, but not impossible to use over aquariums. Because of their design, you must consider them to be 4 white LEDs for purposes of adding blue. For you wanting it to be more blue, you would need 5-6 blue/royal blue for every P7 (Cree MC-E is the same deal). The blues would have to be in a ring around the white.

You can buy 4 Cree XR-E Q5s for only a little more than that P7, and have more flexibility in the way you can design your array, and get more even light distribution across the tank.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

yeah that makes sense. so how many do you think I would need for my 28 if I went with XR-E Q5, and still be able to go clam? and for future projects (possible 72g) how do you come up with a figure for how many lights? those P7's or MC-E's would probbly be better for a deeper 72?

For the 28 bowfront, I'd need to know dimensions.

I'm going to cover how to figure out how many LEDs you need in my writeup (which I promise I will finish!!), but you are looking for good even coverage. I usually use spacing of about 2.5-3", try to cover 80% of the length and about 60% of the width of the tank. Sometimes it's not practical and you have to adjust it a little.

I still don't think the P7 or the MC-E is really practical in aquariums. When they come out with a blue version, then maybe. Anything beyond 12" deep is going to need optics. Deeper you go, tighter the optics. Tighter the optics, the tighter the LED spacing needs to be, and you need more LEDs as a result.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

thank you, that give me a good starting point. It will be a while till I get going on this, and Im sure Ill have more questions later. or ill just look at your guide your making up. cant wait too see it.

help me in led wiring

will this wiring work ???? i am complete noob in this experts please give your comments :huh:

Looks fine. What are your build plans?

thank you evil for fast reply i am planning for 2 royal blues , 6 blues and 4 whites from cree xr-e star from ledsupply , i have lap top power supply 18.5 V 3.5 A can i add few more leds ? :)

I remember reading a killer LED writeup awhile back. The writer even started getting into programming a controller. But this is a long time ago (tech-wise) and basically was overdriving the 1w LED's with pulses (to lessen burnout) to get a good result.

The problem is, they never finished it. Dropped off the face of the earth.

Now LED's are much different and more power to 'em.

I cant wait to read the evilc66 'the LED Gawd' writeup. Hope its more like LED's for Idiots tho :)

I cant wait to read the evilc66 'the LED Gawd' writeup. Hope its more like LED's for Idiots tho :)

omg x2

I would love to make a LED lighting setup...but it just seems a bit intimidating

LED's for idiots pls =D

Archived