Top Shelf Aquatics

DT's New Joint

dtfleming

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, Im completely baffled. Some of my bulbs are approaching 18months old, but doubt that has a big enough impacted to cause all the algae growth. Think Im gonna invest in a sea hare. I just got an order from John last week, added more macroalgae to the fuge and beefed up the cuc.

I did check my levels yesterday Mg was pretty high. ALK was alittle low, and Ca is fine. This algae should be going away. running an ASM G1 skimmer, media reactor full of GFO, weekly water changes. Shorted my light cycle. Replaced all the sand. Oh and I got new filters and DI for my RO/DI TDS is zero, so source isnt it.

Why are you so sure the bulbs aren't partly to blame?

I would think they might be part of it at 18 mos of age.

You using a TEK fixture?

Do you have a shield or cover on the fixture?

Is it fan cooled?

The bulbs are not going to cause that much algae growth with the filteration. Yes old bulbs will cause some algae growth as the shift to the red spectrum. I say this because lights out for 3 days didn't curb the growth either.

OH and I do not run all 6 bulbs all the time. Only 3 hrs a day.

Needreefunds
stop using tap water!

:P

hang in there bud. Watch the seahare with the power heads- I learned the hard way.

I know you know, just sayin' yaknow? :happy:

Dont think so, rods fish food, pe mysis rinsed and thawed. Hikari marine S pellets once in awhile. It honsetly has me baffled. Obviously there are phosphates in the tank or the algae would not grow. My bulbs have some age to them. Im gonna order new ones when I get paid again. I have an ASM G1 skimmer, fuge, and gfo in a media reactor. Tank temp stays around 78 deg.

Could it be phosphates leaching out of the rock? half the rock I've had for 3 years.

I had wondered about phosphates leaching out of the rock myself.

BibleSue is having very similar problems to you, and I told her that might be her issue.

I don't think she wanted to hear it. (Not that I blame her.)

I hadn't mentioned it to you alrdy cause you said you were just gonna quit if your latest attempts didn't fix things, and I didn't want to push you farther along the road to that.

I had wondered about phosphates leaching out of the rock myself.

BibleSue is having very similar problems to you, and I told her that might be her issue.

I don't think she wanted to hear it. (Not that I blame her.)

I hadn't mentioned it to you alrdy cause you said you were just gonna quit if your latest attempts didn't fix things, and I didn't want to push you farther along the road to that.

That may still happen, or atleast sell what I can and go smaller and start over.

Militant Jurist

I had a major algae problem, on account of phosphates in the 20L a while back. For me, the phosphates came in through a bad RO filter (since replaced with an RODI unit), but the damage was done. So, here's what I did that solved the problem:

After I figured out the source, I changed over to the new water. Then, I started doing 20% WCs every 5 days or so. During the WC, I started to suck up some of my LS, because I suspected it of leaching the phosphates. I removed about half of the sand over the course of two weeks, and now, no more cyano problems! I suppose that so many WCs over two weeks may have solved the problem on its own, but I felt better about removing the sand. I still have about half of the sand left, but I've been cyano free for quite some time now.

Militant Jurist
Yea sand has been replaced. New filters in the RO/DI.

Massive and frequent WCs? I did the three together... oh, and I ran rwowaphos (or whatever it's called). That was my kitchen sink approach.

Why the tears?

Cause it doesn't look as nice now as it did then?

+1

Massive and frequent WCs? I did the three together... oh, and I ran rwowaphos (or whatever it's called). That was my kitchen sink approach.

Yup when i replaced the sand I did a big WC. Yup GFO running in a media reactor.

Militant Jurist

Hm.... then you have discovered the other end of the Bermuda Triangle, at with respect to the phosphates in the water down there. At least we know it comes out somewhere.... now if we could just find that missing fighter squadron....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived