Cultivated Reef

clam killed cleaner shrimp or it died of natrual causes?

disaster999

so i recently added a maxima clam to my tank thats been running for a 4 months. it opened right up and is responding really fast to shades and will quickly close up if startled.

my cleaner shrimp has been in my tank for 2 months. although he doesnt behave like other cleaner shrimp (ultra shy, doesnt even come out from behind this rock i have against my overflow) he is the only invert in there along with 2 other snail. hes been molting fine and eats when hes fed.

so yesterday i saw him sort of being adventurous and coming out from his hiding spot. he looks fine to me. then today i find him lying dead on the sand. my water parm is fine. ammonia, nitrite/ate are 0. calc is 400ppm. alk is a little low at 7.5dkh, mag has always been high at around 1500ppm. used tap water but switched to RO/DI for almost a month. corals are all happy.

baffled that my shrimp is dead. the only explanation i can think of is either he got a little too curious and messed with the clam and WHAMMM knocked out. or it died of being too depressed in my tank (which explains why hes always hiding)

lemme include a picture of suspect

DSC_0002-3.jpg

Hahah....death by clam.

You should definately close off the crime scene, take the clam in for questioning, run an autopsy on the victim, and question any potential witnesses, such as pods, zoas, and hermits. They're usually reliable.

I have five clams, which all even let my clowns swim in their mantles, so I doubt that a clam would crush him unless the shrimp was picking at his mantle trying to get a taste. You sure it wasn't just the exoskeleton??

Hahah....death by clam.

You should definately close off the crime scene, take the clam in for questioning, run an autopsy on the victim, and question any potential witnesses, such as pods, zoas, and hermits. They're usually reliable.

haha :P CSI-NR

took the clam in for some beating NYPD style...closed up like a clam (haha...damn -_-) when i tried to shove it deeper in the sand so it wont flop over from the beating

its not molt...the shrimp is actually dead. dont think it died that long ago as the color is still fresh and theres no foul smell.

side question, how long does it take for a clam to attach itself to a rock? i placed a piece of rock under the clam in the sand bed hoping it will attach soon so i dont have to go upright the sucker everytime i gets freaked out and jumps out of the sand while clamping its shell shut.

took the clam in for some beating NYPD style...closed up like a clam (haha...damn -_-) when i tried to shove it deeper in the sand so it wont flop over from the beating

its not molt...the shrimp is actually dead. dont think it died that long ago as the color is still fresh and theres no foul smell.

side question, how long does it take for a clam to attach itself to a rock? i placed a piece of rock under the clam in the sand bed hoping it will attach soon so i dont have to go upright the sucker everytime i gets freaked out and jumps out of the sand while clamping its shell shut.

My maximas, and croceas for that matter, have usually taken a few days. The rock is the key; try a nice size flat rock that is larger than the clam shell. Dig a hole for the rock, put the clam directly on the rock, and then fill in around the clam with sand to help it stay upright, it should take hold.

Archived