SaltCritters.com

Trey's AP24

treygarz

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=ap24+mods

Here is a thread mixed in the jumble that can help a lot. I do not see a Korilia 1 or 2 power head yet.

I really suggest searching out AP24g mod threads.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well my diatom bloom is fully underway now! Just did a run of tests and here's what it looks like:

pH 8.4

Ammonia: 0.00

Nitrite: 0.05

Nitrate: 5.0

SG: 1.023

Temp: 80

Looks like I should be nearing the end of my cycle... maybe by this weekend hopefully? So should I start looking at getting a small portion of my cuc possibly???

Been awhile since I've updated anything.... Ive added my cuc for the most part minus a shrimp or so. Ran a check of my params and everything seemed close to zero but not all the way... The clean up crew has been doing a fantastic job of cleaning of the algae but there is still a good bit left. Is that normal to take a good little while for the snails and hermits to do the job? Also what can I do to lower the pH a little bit? Right now it stand around 8.6 but that needs to be lowered. Any suggestions???

Been awhile since I've updated anything.... Ive added my cuc for the most part minus a shrimp or so. Ran a check of my params and everything seemed close to zero but not all the way... The clean up crew has been doing a fantastic job of cleaning of the algae but there is still a good bit left. Is that normal to take a good little while for the snails and hermits to do the job? Also what can I do to lower the pH a little bit? Right now it stand around 8.6 but that needs to be lowered. Any suggestions???

it took about a week for my cuc to finsih the stuff off, once they do add fish or coral. As for the pH I have no idea. may want to post something in the water chemistry forum.

OK well apparently I did a little more reading on my test kit and found that I was reading the thing wrong lol. I was looking at it from the top down as opposed to having vertically. What a moron I am lol!

So far my params are looking like this:

Temp: 78-84 depending on the time of day (still working out kinks on heater setting)

SG: 1.023

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: less than 10

I am still tackling my hair algae problem and I believe it is getting under control. I have placed the white lights (sorry drawing a black on their name right now) on a 5 hr timer for the time being with the intent of letting everybody sort of catch up on the algae until it gets under control. Right now my CUC consists of the following:

Turbo snails x 3

Margarita snails x 9

Hermits (mix of blue and red leg) x 12

Cerith Snails x 3

Would I need to add anything else as far as snails or hermits go?

What area of biology are you in?

Right now Im just doing general biology with the hopes of getting into a physician assistant program at MCG or MUSC within a year or 2. Ive dipped my hand a good little bit in tropical marine bio as well with spending a semester down in the Bahamas doing a bit a research on coral disease. Are there any good stores in Cola that I should check out? I just found Star Aquatics in Augusta and its a very nice store. They have a TON of coral selection.

There is nothing worthwhile up here. The two main stores, Fishy Business and Fins, are both worthless.

If you decide to check them out the next time you are in town, beware of buying anything from fishy as it is likely to bring flatworms or caulerpa into your tank.

Coral disease, eh? Did you do that work with Garriet Smith down there in Aiken? A friend of mine is a former PhD student of his.

Yeah Garriet was one of the main professors that was on the trip heading up mostly everything. He's a really nice guy. One of these days when I'm passing through Cola I might have to take a look up there. But if you are every in Augusta do check out Star Aquatics.

If you ever come through cola, you may want to stop by the USC campus. We have a couple nice larger tanks and if you let me know, I can get you in to see the wetlab where they and their equipment are housed.

Good luck with your current tank as well. :) It takes a while for new tanks to get established but patience always pays off in this hobby.

Ok so a little update..... the cuc is knocking out the hair algae problem. Its almost all gone which is good considering how much I had. I also picked up an occelaris clown today at my lfs. He is doing well and enjoying his new home! Just did a water change as well and everything checks out fine as usual! Oh and if anyone could give some suggestions to good websites that ship coral that would be a great help! Also, I noticed an empty shell in my tank.... I think a hermit went awol, should i be concerned or nothing to worry about? And I cant seem to find the shell's former inhabitant anywhere. Thanks for looking and all the info!

Meet Luchino!

IMAGE_174.jpg

Ok so quick question... I plan on heading to the beach (Edisto, SC) this coming weekend and planned on picking up / finding some shells for the hermits (instead of buying empty shells bc im cheap!)... If I manage to find any is there anything I should do as far as cleaning the shells before I put them in the tank??? Is this a good idea or no?

Ok so quick question... I plan on heading to the beach (Edisto, SC) this coming weekend and planned on picking up / finding some shells for the hermits (instead of buying empty shells bc im cheap!)... If I manage to find any is there anything I should do as far as cleaning the shells before I put them in the tank??? Is this a good idea or no?

Boil em! I use shells from the beach as well.

AcroporaLokani

All the shells I have are from the beach (and about fifteen years old :lol:). I would take a new tooth brush to them. (Just make sure you don't bring back a hermit and brush him out).

So if i do find some with a crab in them.... would they be fine to add to the tank? Would there be anything special I would have to do to them before adding them in?

Happy Thanksgiving all!!! Question: If I want to re-scape should I take everything out and put them in a bucket or just work around everyone?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update:

Everything is doing well. Have got quite a few additions to the tank

Firefish:

IMG_1472.jpg

6 Line Wras (terrible pic of all 3)

IMG_1463.jpg

Orange Fungia:

IMG_1459.jpg

Red Brain:

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

Cleaner Shrimp:

IMG_1451.jpg

Zoa's:

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

Yellow Polyps:

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

Toadstool:

IMG_1407.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all hopefully someone can help me out here! I've had my open brain coral for a good three weeks. In that time I have only seen it "swell" big once and semi-swell once about a week ago. I target feed it at night roughly twice a week. I have moved it to a different position in my tank as well. It seems to be loosing its color greatly and I am not sure what is going on with it. My tank params are normal and all of my other corals are doing great. With the recommendations of some other people I also gave it a quick Iodine dip to see if that helped any. Is there anything else that I could possibly do to help this guy out or would it be in my best interests to trade it in and get some money back for something else?? Thanks for all the help! I'll also have some pics of some of the new stuff shortly!

What it looked like when I got it:

IMG_1458.jpg

What it looks like now (ignore the others in this pic, was just moving some things around and they were temp placed near the brain!)

photo-3.jpg

that brain is bleaching, which normally means too much light. Try puttping it in a shady spot and feed it sliversides when it has feeders out at night. Also don't trade it in, that'll just stress it out more and it'll probably die at the lfs.

Ill give that a try and hopefully that will do the trick. I have it moved to a more shaded area of the tank Thanks for the help Nick!.

Side question. I'm sure I can find it on the threads somewhere but which specific type of super glue should I get to glue frags with?

Archived