Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Crocea

Reef507

I have had this crocea for about 4 weeks now. I left it on the sand bed for a couple weeks with a half clam shell underneath it to attach to. I moved it up to its final position last week and it has been doing real well. I think it has shown improved coloration and I see the beginings of new shell growth.

My question is whether it is possible that my lighting isn't enough. I just assumed that 150w of MH with 2 24w T-5's would be plenty, but it appears to me that after the MH shuts off for the day the clams starts to slightly reach up towards the light with its mantel. I have increased the length of time the MH is on from 7 up to 8 hrs and the T-5's are on for 10.5 hours. All of the bulbs are less than 5 months old. The clam is about 8" away from the light just slightly off center. I am thinking about increasing the MH to 9 hours and would appreciate any input on this. Thanks in advance.

This photo was taken 10-5-08

post-35729-1224998922_thumb.jpg

Taken 10-25-08

post-35729-1224999198_thumb.jpg

Photo from the side trying to show mantel reaching

post-35729-1224998997_thumb.jpg

I think your lighting schedule sounds fine. IME clams will "reach" during dawn/dusk times frequently, no matter how long the lighting period is. He looks great, I think.

I think your lighting schedule sounds fine. IME clams will "reach" during dawn/dusk times frequently, no matter how long the lighting period is. He looks great, I think.

Thanks for the fast reply. I think he looks really good myself, but wanted to make sure the reaching wasn't an issue. I think I got a great deal on this beauty only 40$ at the LFS.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived