SaltCritters.com

I know this is a clam, mussel? But what type?

steveangela1

Steve noticed this guy opening and closing yesterday, and it was closed when I came home from work this morning, and when I got up from sleeping a bit it was wide open, here is a pic.....

I know its some sort of clam, but what?? It has 2 little tentical things inside of it that move up and down when its open, and it does respond to movement around the tank and light changes

What I think is really neat is its lived on the live rock for almost a month through the tanks cycle where I set up my tank on Sept 28th (super high ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, ph swings, my learning salinity) WOW!!

.post-39388-1224697555_thumb.jpg

Steve noticed this guy opening and closing yesterday, and it was closed when I came home from work this morning, and when I got up from sleeping a bit it was wide open, here is a pic.....

I know its some sort of clam, but what?? It has 2 little tentical things inside of it that move up and down when its open, and it does respond to movement around the tank and light changes

What I think is really neat is its lived on the live rock for almost a month through the tanks cycle where I set up my tank on Sept 28th (super high ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, ph swings, my learning salinity) WOW!!

.post-39388-1224697555_thumb.jpg

Can you post a better photo??

I thought only dead clams opened up that wide. For those who can't find it, I think the clam's opening is pointing to the left and the green patch of hair algae is on one side of it's shell (the gray area to the left of the algae is the inside of the clam).

Archived