Coral Vue Hydros

Any suggestions for improvements on my BC14?

blizzardscout2

im really jealous of how large your maze is! because if you look in my pics, I just have a chunk of it.

Where did you find such a nice piece?

You really should of gotten the 29g BC because all your corals are so large compared to your tank! lol

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I just now saw your tank. There is so much to comment on! :D

That maze brain is gorgeous, it reminds me of mint-chocolate :lol: Pink plate is gorgeous too, it looks like little pink flames! What happened to your RBTA? Did you get rid of it? :( And I have never ever seen a flowerpot that color before :o

Have fun selling all those Frog Spawn frags, that thing is ginormous.

blizzardscout2
im really jealous of how large your maze is! because if you look in my pics, I just have a chunk of it.

Where did you find such a nice piece?

You really should of gotten the 29g BC because all your corals are so large compared to your tank! lol

Thanks. :D I found it from someone local in Bothell. He has a 250g Reef tank, and a 180g Frag tank in his garage, so he frags his stuff and grows those all the time. Plus he trades for other things, so he always has something cool there. I think I paid $35 for that Maze! Amazing right?

Reese

blizzardscout2
Wow, I just now saw your tank. There is so much to comment on! :D

That maze brain is gorgeous, it reminds me of mint-chocolate :lol: Pink plate is gorgeous too, it looks like little pink flames! What happened to your RBTA? Did you get rid of it? :( And I have never ever seen a flowerpot that color before :o

Have fun selling all those Frog Spawn frags, that thing is ginormous.

Thank you, I agree it does look like that, Andes Mints right? :) I think the Pink Plate is still recovering because sometimes the front of it doesnt inflate like that. I actually overfed yesterday trying to feed the Plate, so I have to wait 3 days before I feed again. :o I actually decided that the RBTA was probably not good to have in my tank because it was so huge, it would have stung everything, plus it would go on walks occassionally. I actually sold it to someone who had a huge tank to place it in, and was a few years old. The flower pot I got from a LFS that gets everything he gets direct from where they come from. He has all the licenses to do so, so he receives shipments that he picks up himself from SEA-TAC airport. It is pretty cool because he gets very rare corals in frequently, including this Yellow Flower Pot of which he only gets about 4 of a year. I just happened to visit for the first time the day he got 2 in (lucky me) and decided I couldnt pass it up. I have put it up close to the LR in my tank in hope that it might try to grow onto it. But I dont know if that will work or not. How cool would it be if my LR had it allover it! Plus I could sell this, and have a good spot for my clam when it gets larger.

Reese

blizzardscout2
I've heard those flower pots are pain to keep,but your's looks fantastic ! What sort of lights do you have ?

I havent had any problems except when i sold my RBTA my clowns were hosting it, which for the most part has stopped since I got the large piece of Frogspawn. I have 72w of PC, I added another 24w PC to it after I bought it so I could keep more types of coral and have healthier coral. I feed my tank with Liquid Life Marine Plankton (I sometimes use a little Liquid Life BioPlankton) usually every other day, which I was told to do so by the LFS owner, and I havent had any problems with it. So that must be working!

Reese

Reese,

Your tank is AMAZING, I can't believe that your growing all that just under the 72watt PC lights... My only question to you is how much money did you spend on all that ? In my area the LFS don't have corals that look anything like those. And they charge real expensive prices for anything.. So I have to go real slow especially in this economy. things are tough. Keep the pics coming ..

blizzardscout2
Reese,

Your tank is AMAZING, I can't believe that your growing all that just under the 72watt PC lights... My only question to you is how much money did you spend on all that ? In my area the LFS don't have corals that look anything like those. And they charge real expensive prices for anything.. So I have to go real slow especially in this economy. things are tough. Keep the pics coming ..

Im not gonna lie, it adds up to a lot, but I did get some KILLER deals on most of it. The frogspawn I paid $60 (actually I gave her $20 more because I felt like I was stealing it!) I paid $200 for the Maze, Plate, Zoas, the two green SPS, and Candy Canes. I paid $100 for the Squamosa, Lg Rock of Star Polyps, and Green Mushrooms. $60 for the Yellow Flower Pot, and $20 for the Watermelon Mushrooms. The last large amount was $120 for the 5 Ricordias and Australian Acans. So I guess about $580 on Coral. Thanks for the comments. I tried to stick to mostly corals that would grow under PC, but I still have over a 5 watts per gallon average in my tank. Plus the tank isnt very deep at all, so that helps a lot. Yeah, I am surprised how fast things are growing in there. Even the Acans are growing noticeably. The Maze has awesome polyp extension and has even grown around the edges of the rock it is on. The Frogspawns that were bleached are now regaining their pigmentation and some of them you can barely tell they ever were. So I am pretty happy with the results of the lights in this tank. I do wish I had MH, because I cant imagine what it would look like with them, but my Girlfriend doesnt want to change the nice look that the hood gives it (trust me I tried -_- )

I do plan on getting a new fish for the final addition to the tank (alive addition that is) for awhile. Stay tuned to see what it is.... :D

I'm sure you probably can fit one of those MH retro kits under the hood and still keep its look.

did you get the ballast upgrade as well? I don't remember if I read it or not are you runing a skimmer in there?

blizzardscout2
I'm sure you probably can fit one of those MH retro kits under the hood and still keep its look.

did you get the ballast upgrade as well? I don't remember if I read it or not are you runing a skimmer in there?

I probably could, but then I have to worry about temperature regulation. I dont have the ballast upgrade, I just figured that I would rather wait for one to go out before spending the money on them. I dont run a skimmer yet, but I was waiting to see what people thought of the Saphire Aquatics Nanoskimmer 12 before I bought one. Plus my water stays very clean, my only problem I have had is when I overfed my Plate Coral (lots of waste when it doesnt stick to it, the fish get some of it).

I'm waiting for my Saphire nc12 to arrive I think it will be in the next couple of weeks they are behind in getting them out. I'll let you know how it works out, and over the Christmas holiday I'll be installing the 3.24 72 Watt upgrade, what was the 3rd bulb you gotwith yours: 50/50 10k or act?

blizzardscout2
I'm waiting for my Saphire nc12 to arrive I think it will be in the next couple of weeks they are behind in getting them out. I'll let you know how it works out, and over the Christmas holiday I'll be installing the 3.24 72 Watt upgrade, what was the 3rd bulb you gotwith yours: 50/50 10k or act?

That would be awesome if you keep me updated. I got the 10k bulb because I figured that it would provide the best growth as well as penetrating light into the water. I could be wrong, but it seems that a lot of people go with this spectrum the most because of that.

Reese

That would be awesome if you keep me updated. I got the 10k bulb because I figured that it would provide the best growth as well as penetrating light into the water. I could be wrong, but it seems that a lot of people go with this spectrum the most because of that.

Reese

im pretty sure that actinics penetrate better. but then again i could be wrong too.

What does the 10k do then?

10k lighting provides phenomenal growth in corals, while Actinic creates really nice colors to come out of your corals.

After several years of keeping a 72g bowfront freshwater tank, I finally decided to give saltwater a go. October 13th I purchased the Oceanic BioCube 14 and set it up with 10 lbs of live crushed rock on the bottom, 6 lbs of regular live rock, and 4 lbs of reef tank live rock (fresh from a lfs reeftank). Now it is December and boy does it look different! Now I am considering going saltwater with my 72g. I must have patience. :D

Looks Awesome!

So you guys don't think stock lighting is good enough even if placing a clam high on a shelf?

It might do alright at first, but for the clam to really flourish it doesn't stand a chance. Clams should be kept under metal halides.

blizzardscout2
10k lighting provides phenomenal growth in corals, while Actinic creates really nice colors to come out of your corals.

I knew that the 10k was good for growth, but I wasnt sure about the actinics. Thans phish!

Seattle represent!

Boy, isn't this weather driving you crazy?

IMG_0673.jpg

Yeah it has, getting to work has been a nightmare! Plus Christmas plans had to be moved to the weekend instead. All well, at least it is melting away now.

Looks Awesome!

Thanks! I am hoping that the Rics and Zoas fill out the tank a little more!

So you guys don't think stock lighting is good enough even if placing a clam high on a shelf?

Stock, probably not. I added 24w to mine, so it is 72w now. Even with that you should only keep a Derasa or Squamosa like me. Anything else should really be kept under MH.

It might do alright at first, but for the clam to really flourish it doesn't stand a chance. Clams should be kept under metal halides.

+1

• 2 weeks later...
blizzardscout2

So.... since my last posts, my Acans were stung pretty bad by what I think was my Maze Coral. My nitrates went berserk for some odd reason. After 2 WC it might be okay now (we will see). I did however manage to break out the false floor in Chamber 1 and place my heater in there. I also did the Maxi-jet 900 Mod and figured out the nitrate problem at the same time, tons of crap was collecting where the pump sits. I swear it looked like a gosh dang blizzard in there! I added Carbon to help. I will change out the Filter Floss tonight because I am sure it is already full with crap. Plus I fragged my Frogspawn in half and it now fits a little better in my tank. I will add pics on Monday.

Reese

blizzardscout2

I just added some new additions to the tank, a fire shrimp and 2 peppermint shrimps. Hopefully the Peppermints will eat the two aiptasia that I know of in there. We shall see...

I also added some Chaeto to Chambers 1 and 2, I know that enough light spills into the upper area of the chambers from my 3.24 lighting mod so it should be okay as long as I rotate the Chaeto every few days. I am still searching for a light to be directly over or in the back chambers. The Carbon I added the other day has cleared up the water quite well as well. Pics coming soon....

Reese

Use a turkey baster every couple weeks to blast the rear chambers. This will keep detritus from building up. Also remove and clean out your sponges if you still have them.

blizzardscout2
Use a turkey baster every couple weeks to blast the rear chambers. This will keep detritus from building up. Also remove and clean out your sponges if you still have them.

Should I keep the sponge in there? I already removed it, but it didnt look like it ever got dirty. I have started vacuuming out the back chambers during WC's.

Reese

Archived