Pod Your Reef

Any suggestions for improvements on my BC14?

blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

I got some new additions:

Pink Plate Coral

Maze Brain

Green Monti

Green Zoas

Orange Zoas

Candy Cane

And an SPS (dont remember the name) that does well with lower light and another one of the same type, but longer polyps.

I will post pictures later. The tank is doing great! It seems like the corals are sucking the Calcium out pretty fast now, so I will have to start supplementing. Today I am off to buy a few things, possibly some Rics, but it depends on how colorful they are.

Reese

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blizzardscout2

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I entered a raffle at Barrier Reef and won an ATB Small Cone Skimmer! Those things go for $1000! Plus I won an RO System! YES! I was planning on buying one in the future, so lucky me. Now..........what to do with the Skimmer? Should I have a sump built for me and place it in there under my tank? What do you think?

I entered a raffle at Barrier Reef and won an ATB Small Cone Skimmer! Those things go for $1000! Plus I won an RO System! YES! I was planning on buying one in the future, so lucky me. Now..........what to do with the Skimmer? Should I have a sump built for me and place it in there under my tank? What do you think?

Congrats. What is Barrier Reef? a Fish store?

AcroporaLokani

Congrats, I would get a sump and hook that skimmer up (or sell it).

Nice flowerpot, how is it doing?

blizzardscout2
Congrats, I would get a sump and hook that skimmer up (or sell it).

Nice flowerpot, how is it doing?

Thanks...Im going to sell it. I have been told it is way too big for my tank and overkill for any tank I would want to do. The flower pot is doing great. Here is a picture of it right now:

IMG_1479.jpg

AcroporaLokani
Thanks...Im going to sell it. I have been told it is way too big for my tank and overkill for any tank I would want to do. The flower pot is doing great. Here is a picture of it right now:

IMG_1479.jpg

Nice, that is by far the most neon coral I have ever seen! I can understand that with the skimmer. The only way it would be useful to you would be if you had thirty schooling fish in that tank that don't mind being around each other.

blizzardscout2
Congrats. What is Barrier Reef? a Fish store?

Yeah, it is a LFS in Renton, WA. They get a lot of good stuff. They have a website......

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/home.asp

Nice, that is by far the most neon coral I have ever seen! I can understand that with the skimmer. The only way it would be useful to you would be if you had thirty schooling fish in that tank that don't mind being around each other.

Thanks, I thought the same thing when I bought it. I got really lucky I guess because the LFS I got it from only gets a few in every year because the color is so hard to find! Yeah the skimmer would suit me better if I got a different one for my tank, and more coral! ;)

blizzardscout2

More pictures to come tomorrow night...... I swear I will, if I wasnt so busy.... Oh and two new additions and one removal. I sold the Rose Anemone because it was too large for my tank, and now have a frogspawn and hammer coral.

Reese

More pictures to come tomorrow night...... I swear I will, if I wasnt so busy.... Oh and two new additions and one removal. I sold the Rose Anemone because it was too large for my tank, and now have a frogspawn and hammer coral.

Reese

Well It has been over 24hrs. so where is our pics? Haha I know how it feels to be busy. Don't worry about the pics of your new frogspawn and hammer, only everyone who follows your tank wants to see them. :lol:

blizzardscout2
Well It has been over 24hrs. so where is our pics? Haha I know how it feels to be busy. Don't worry about the pics of your new frogspawn and hammer, only everyone who follows your tank wants to see them. :lol:

Sorry..... :D Here they are.....

Maze Brain

IMG_1463.jpg

Pink Plate Coral 5"

IMG_1464.jpg

Ricordia (about 6 of them)

IMG_1466.jpg

Candy Cane Coral

IMG_1471.jpg

Green Montipora

IMG_1472.jpg

I dont know what this is called but it is a hardy SPS

IMG_1469.jpg

And the coolest find I will probably ever find for $60.....................

Humongus FROGSPAWN!!!

IMG_1486.jpg

This isnt what I bought last week, I got it yesterday from someone that is getting rid of everything in there 250gallon reef tank. It has atleast 40-50 heads on it. I am going to do a little trimming of the back to make it fit towards the back of the tank better. Isnt it awesome! Plus it is a different variety than the one I just bought. I bought a frogspawn with white tips, this is green and purple tips. I will post pics of it after I trim it today.

Reese

Sorry..... :D Here they are.....

Maze Brain

IMG_1463.jpg

Pink Plate Coral 5"

IMG_1464.jpg

Ricordia (about 6 of them)

IMG_1466.jpg

Candy Cane Coral

IMG_1471.jpg

Green Montipora

IMG_1472.jpg

I dont know what this is called but it is a hardy SPS

IMG_1469.jpg

And the coolest find I will probably ever find for $60.....................

Humongus FROGSPAWN!!!

IMG_1486.jpg

This isnt what I bought last week, I got it yesterday from someone that is getting rid of everything in there 250gallon reef tank. It has atleast 40-50 heads on it. I am going to do a little trimming of the back to make it fit towards the back of the tank better. Isnt it awesome! Plus it is a different variety than the one I just bought. I bought a frogspawn with white tips, this is green and purple tips. I will post pics of it after I trim it today.

Reese

WOW that is an amazing frogspawn coral. All of your corals seem to be doing very well. Maybe you can frag off some pieces of the frogspawn and sell them. :D

blizzardscout2
WOW that is an amazing frogspawn coral. All of your corals seem to be doing very well. Maybe you can frag off some pieces of the frogspawn and sell them. :D

Yeah, I sure will. This morning I fragged some pieces off the bottom and moved it towards the back of my tank. I didnt think about how much more it weighs after it extends in the light. I picked it up to frag it out of the tank in a bucket and it broke in half because it weighed so much. No matter, it fit better in my tank that way. Some of the pieces I fragged off the back werent exposed to light for so long that they are transparent. It will be interesting to see what they look like when they get a little healthier or if they regain their pigment coloration. Anyways I will definitely sell some in the near future. My girlfriend thinks it still is too big for the tank. :D Here is a pic after 2.5 hours of testing, WC, reorganizing, fragging, glueing, etc. I like it a lot better.

IMG_1492.jpg

Hammer Coral

IMG_1498.jpg

Acans (I got this a few weeks ago, hard to get a good pic)

IMG_1497.jpg

Recovering Frogspawn Frags

IMG_1500.jpg

Something I got for free

IMG_1501.jpg

Squamosa with 0.5 cm of new growth!

IMG_1503.jpg

Reese

Yeah, I sure will. This morning I fragged some pieces off the bottom and moved it towards the back of my tank. I didnt think about how much more it weighs after it extends in the light. I picked it up to frag it out of the tank in a bucket and it broke in half because it weighed so much. No matter, it fit better in my tank that way. Some of the pieces I fragged off the back werent exposed to light for so long that they are transparent. It will be interesting to see what they look like when they get a little healthier or if they regain their pigment coloration. Anyways I will definitely sell some in the near future. My girlfriend thinks it still is too big for the tank. :D Here is a pic after 2.5 hours of testing, WC, reorganizing, fragging, glueing, etc. I like it a lot better.

IMG_1492.jpg

Hammer Coral

IMG_1498.jpg

Acans (I got this a few weeks ago, hard to get a good pic)

IMG_1497.jpg

Recovering Frogspawn Frags

IMG_1500.jpg

Something I got for free

IMG_1501.jpg

Squamosa with 0.5 cm of new growth!

IMG_1503.jpg

Reese

Hey we have a squamosa clam at my work/LFS. It looks pretty cool about 2.5 inches. I wish they had a brighter color to them.

blizzardscout2
Hey we have a squamosa clam at my work/LFS. It looks pretty cool about 2.5 inches. I wish they had a brighter color to them.

Yeah I do too, but when they open up wide, their pattern looks really awesome. Plus I have mine next to a bright yellow coral that brings out pattern much more. It is growing quite fast which is a good sign because it means I am doing something right. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
blizzardscout2

So right when I got the Plate Coral, I started doing some more research about them. I couldnt figure out why this one looked so different? The last owner must not have been feeding it because the way it looked and the way it looks now is a WORLD of difference. I dont have a current pic, but I will throw up a Before and After Photo tomorrow morning. You will never believe its the same coral.

Everything is going really well. My corals are growing, the frags from the Frogspawn are getting their pigmentation back, and my Clam is growing like crazy! I cant wait to see what it looks like in a few months when the Ricordia spread out and the Zoas start going crazy. My candy canes are splitting as well as my mushrooms.

Plus I emailed Caribsea about an add that they talked about in a Fish magazine, and now I have at least $40 in free stuff! Anyways, stay tuned for the Plate Coral Pictures, truly amazing!

Reese

blizzardscout2
Interested in what you are feeding your corals.

Hey nanoreef11,

I dont know off the top of my head what the stuff is called, but a LFS recommended it to me. They come in a two pack of small pump Plankton, Marine and Bio. I use mostly the Marine, but I have used the Bio a little. I keep it in the freezer, and it still is able to pump out. I feed Mysis shrimp to the Plate Coral and also a 50/50 frozen food that has blood worms, mysis shrimp, and plankton in it. Plus I supplement with Fuel, cant remember who makes it. I feed atleast every other day, and when I am home several days in a row, I feed everyday. My tankwater stays crystal clear with the amount of coral in this tank, they eat it right up. Plus my 11 snails go crazy on the light algae that grows, so you never see that much. I was beginning to think I feed too much, but I guess not. Plus my coral looks healthier than ever. Especially the Acans.

Reese

blizzardscout2
Where do you get your corals?

Who the hell sold you that FS?

and how are your coral's recovering?

The frogspawn that were on the bottom of that huge piece are recovering nicely. They are regaining their color pretty fast now. Someone in Woodinville sold me the Frogspawn because they were getting out of reefing and had it in a 250g tank. I get my corals at Reef Mystique in Lake Stevens and Barrier Reef in Renton. I have bought some stuff elsewhere like Denny's Pet World in Kirkland, or Saltwater City in Bellevue. I really like BR because they have awesome stuff for great prices and are very helpful and knowledgable, and I like Reef Mystique because the owner is very helpful and gets some rare stuff in that you would never see at any other LFS. For instance the Flower Pot Coral, or the other thing I just got that I dont know the name of. :o

BR is my FAVORITE! when people on here tell me not to "trust" my LFS, I dont think they understand that BR is the best of the best in the northwest! I'm friends with Chris and Kyle over at BR, they are awesome!

your tank is looking awesome, i just started my biocube. i am 5 days into my cycle and it seems to be going similar to what yours did, for 2 days i have zeros across the board for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. my previous ammonias high was only .25, and i do have a decent size diatom bloom. my water parameters are really confusing me , have no clue what is going on with cycle........but anyway you have an awesome tank with some great corals......if you got a chance check out my thread in my signature i update it daily!

blizzardscout2
BR is my FAVORITE! when people on here tell me not to "trust" my LFS, I dont think they understand that BR is the best of the best in the northwest! I'm friends with Chris and Kyle over at BR, they are awesome!

Yeah it is a great LFS, I was there this AM when they opened to FINALLY pick up my bucket o' salt (I felt bad because I ordered during their big sale :o )

blizzardscout2

Ok here are the new pictures (a day late :D ):

Plate Coral Before:

IMG_1464.jpg

Plate Coral After:

IMG_1552.jpg

Acans:

IMG_1549.jpg

Orange Zoas:

IMG_1554.jpg

Unknown Coral:

IMG_1539.jpg

Candy Canes:

IMG_1575.jpg

Maze Coral:

IMG_1576.jpg

Clowns and Frogspawn:

IMG_1573.jpg

Hey nanoreef11,

I dont know off the top of my head what the stuff is called, but a LFS recommended it to me. They come in a two pack of small pump Plankton, Marine and Bio. I use mostly the Marine, but I have used the Bio a little. I keep it in the freezer, and it still is able to pump out. I feed Mysis shrimp to the Plate Coral and also a 50/50 frozen food that has blood worms, mysis shrimp, and plankton in it. Plus I supplement with Fuel, cant remember who makes it. I feed atleast every other day, and when I am home several days in a row, I feed everyday. My tankwater stays crystal clear with the amount of coral in this tank, they eat it right up. Plus my 11 snails go crazy on the light algae that grows, so you never see that much. I was beginning to think I feed too much, but I guess not. Plus my coral looks healthier than ever. Especially the Acans.

Reese

I know what you are talking about. The pump things, we carry them at our work but I never really used them. The fuel is made by aquavitro and I have a bottle but havn't been dosing because I only have a small brain coral atm. I might start feeding twice a week once I get some more corals. Do you shut off the return pump when you feed?

Thanks

Jon

blizzardscout2
I know what you are talking about. The pump things, we carry them at our work but I never really used them. The fuel is made by aquavitro and I have a bottle but havn't been dosing because I only have a small brain coral atm. I might start feeding twice a week once I get some more corals. Do you shut off the return pump when you feed?

Thanks

Jon

You know I probably should turn off my return pump when feeding, but I haven't. I might try that next time, it can be a pain in the butt when feeding the Plate Coral with the strong current. I was told that having more coral is good when feeding them with that stuff. I used it at first for my clam, but now it really doesnt need it because it is large enough, although it probably still benefits from it even in its larger size. I wish I had room for brain coral, but as you can see, I am pretty full now. Maybe next spring I might invest in a MH fixture for my 72g and turn it into salt and then I can have some brains.

Reese

Archived