Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FOWLER TANKS?

liveclown

What do I need to keep in mind when setting up a healthy fowler.? What do I doe or do to keep good ph ranges??

I was thinking of buying chem-pure elite so I dont need to do water changes.

What products do I use to keep my water quality good??

How do I actually achieve proper ph?? Do I need to dose anything??

For any of you who have a fowler or a website on these tank setups lemme know.

I want to hear what your opinion is from you experiance. I had someone tell me not to dose anything and he told me that he only did water changes monthly for his. I want one that will survive with a minimum amount of work that can maintain itself for the most part.

Either you are a troll or a Super noob. No offense.:)

First off, its fowlr not fowler. FISH ONLY WITH LIVE ROCK

Second, chemi-pure ain't gonna solve all your problems despite what it says on the label. :happy:

Third, you dont need to dose anything for fowlr. Just do wc at least twice a month and top off and you should be fine. Its really not that hard, just get good quality live rock and do a good cycle and it should be smooth from there. Might want to invest in a protein skimmer if the tank will be larger than 20 gallons.IMHO

Can you put some pics up of your fowlr's?? I would like to see them.

I don't want to deal with water changes really.

Will my ph maintain itself??

My alk drops from bioload right??

I dont want to have to mix salt and tote r/o.

Busy life style what method will allow me to do this without water changes.

While we are on the subject. What does the water change accomplish on a fowlr?? Is it just to remove nitrates? Or to replace alk.?

Could I buy nitrate removing media??

I think that would be better. I can just have some of that on hand.

Or maybe I will just buy a lot of r/o and a mixing tank(10 gal.) and dry salt buckets.

Not a big deal I guess...What do people usually use to tote r/o excluding gas tanks and milk jugs.

I don't want to always be going to a pet store,lol

How about putting in a portable toilet in your tank for your fishies to potty in. then you don't have to worry about water changes...just empty the potty every once in awhile and voila! I potty trained my fish in a matter of days....they are really smart!! :wacko:

Search the forum for fowlr forums and topics, you'll find plenty of pics there.

If you don't want to deal with water changes I recommend you steer clear of SW all together.

Best of Luck

-J

Yellow tangs are known to keep the tank so clean, water changes are unnecessary

That's true!! Sharks too. I say heads a shark, tails a tang!! Then potty train for ultra sparkly water!!

I want one that will survive with a minimum amount of work that can maintain itself for the most part.

From these two statements I would suggest you steer clear of keeping pets. Going into keeping pets with these kind of thoughts is not acceptable in my opinion.

Edited by bagoegg

Well, thanx. All I asked was that is there a way to keep a tank without water changes. Potty training ... I didnt ask to make it that easy. I just wanted to know if there was another way.

Well, thanx. All I asked was that is there a way to keep a tank without water changes. Potty training ... I didnt ask to make it that easy. I just wanted to know if there was another way.

no, there isn't another way

The thing about chemi-pure is that it can only remove things. You won't be able to add things that get used up like calcium without doing a water change or supplementation.

Thats why "It'z da Bomb"...eventually your tank will explode(meant in a good way)...

JK, really though, if you want a Fowlr you need to have at least some time on your hands.

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone! I really thought this thread was a joke!

If you want a hobby that is low maintenance than a SW fish tank is not it. Although a FOWLR tank is easier than a reef tank it still takes good maintenance and part of that is weekly water changes and upkeep. You will end up spending a lot of money and not be happy with the results. Again, sorry to burst your bubble.

I have time,lol. Just not a lot where I would be going to the lfs all the time. What do you people out there do to produce your change water???

If I do water changes...Do I need to dose anything???

Give me a template to go by pleez and thank you

thegrandpoohbah

Buy yourself an RO/DI unit so you don't have to lug bottles of water from the LFS. Just make sure you have a spare bucket, power head, heater and salt mix so you can mix the SW at home yourself.

What do I need to keep in mind when setting up a healthy fowler.? What do I doe or do to keep good ph ranges??

What products do I use to keep my water quality good??

How do I actually achieve proper ph?? Do I need to dose anything??

For any of you who have a fowler or a website on these tank setups lemme know.

I want to hear what your opinion is from you experiance. I had someone tell me not to dose anything and he told me that he only did water changes monthly for his. I want one that will survive with a minimum amount of work that can maintain itself for the most part.

you still need to do water changes regardless of filter media selection. if you want it easy, stay away from predatory fish. then you will be able to have a clean up crew like in a reef tank, and that will make a big difference with keeping the tank clean. a good skimmer and lots of live rock with good water flow help a lot as well.

Buy yourself an RO/DI unit so you don't have to lug bottles of water from the LFS. Just make sure you have a spare bucket, power head, heater and salt mix so you can mix the SW at home yourself.

i just keep the lighting low and use tap water on my FOWLR. fish aren't affected by the unknowns in tapwater and the lack of lighting should suppress mystery algaes.

i just keep the lighting low and use tap water on my FOWLR. fish aren't affected by the unknowns in tapwater and the lack of lighting should suppress mystery algaes.

do you dose alk or ca in you fowlr?

While agreeing with above statements, I think your best bet is a peaceful FOWLR, with plenty of LR, a good CUC, and atleast a UV sterilizer to keep the fishies disease free. From that point, you can get away with tap water, so long that you're doing the water changes. Also do a two part dose, such as Kent or B-Ionic.

What size system are you thinking and budget? If you give us an idea we can help map out a good plan that includes filtration (natural and mechanical) inhabs, lr, dosing, etc.