SaltCritters.com

Maxima likes sandbed

coolwaters

well they both seem happy on the sandbed when i first got them.

then i heard they like to anchor themselves on to rocks. so i placed them on rocks.

both seem happy until my maxima was jumping and flipping around. they were both attached to the rocks but my maxima detached himself. so i moved him on the sandbed. hes fully opened now.

has anyone noticed it with their maxima clams?

Maxima's are rock dwellers. Odds are that you had it where it didn't like the light or flow. As in too much/too little of either or both. Thus it moved itself. Since it has nowhere else to go its going to open up where it is but if you have fine sand the sand can get into its gills and kill it. OTOH if it is happy where it is just put a piece of rock under it to attach to and keep it a bit out of the sand.

i cleaned the sand so theres only big pieces. every time theres sand i just blow it off with a pipet

+1 with Urchinhead. Put a small flat rock under it to prevent it from burrowing into the sand and attaching itself to the glass bottom. My maxima flipped and flopped all over the place in my nano. Solution: Moved it to a nice big 75 gallon tank with moderate flow and better light. It is now happy as...a clam. :)

--bubbles

Archived