inTank Media Baskets

24G Nano Cube

Khayman

:naughtydance: Woot :naughtydance:

I have Black Suncoral. I will get some pictures up soon. First of all though I need to rearange some of my Rock-work.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you spot-feed your sun corals?

Do you use a turkey baster, or a 2liter method?

Just wondering!

Turkey Baster is what I use.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone

I have noticed there has not been allot of activity here, partially my fault. I have been very busy lately and allot has changed in my little reef. My male black clown has died "very sad" :tears:, I have been trying very hard to locate a new one. I have added allot of new pics to this post I hope you all enjoy.

Aquarium

post-39211-1243004898_thumb.jpgpost-39211-1243004920_thumb.jpgpost-39211-1243004942_thumb.jpg

Coral

Hammer

post-39211-1243004904_thumb.jpg

In this picture you can see that the hammer is forming 2 new heads. I am very happy about this. I love watching my corals grow and develop.post-39211-1243004908_thumb.jpg

Pearl

post-39211-1243004932_thumb.jpg

A couple weeks ago I was vey worried this coral was dyeing. It completely detached from the center of the skeleton and appeared to be peeling off. The coral appears fin now though; it still fully opens and does eat. Does anyone know if this is perhaps how it grows?

This coral is my girl friends favourite coral so it is very important that it lives. She gives me very little grief about the aquarium and buying new additions so long as this coral looks great.

Denro

post-39211-1243004889_thumb.jpg

The dendo as regrown a head completely now. It is the centre one that is more orange than the rest. It also appears that another of the hollow heads is starting to grow again. I feel this is great new it is a very beautiful coral.

Jelly Brain

post-39211-1243004914_thumb.jpg

The Red Jelly has been growing allot. It is now the size of a small donut when it is fully open. Also the larger it becomes the more pronounced it’s white stripes become.

Red Monti Cap

post-39211-1243004937_thumb.jpg

This is a new Monti cap my old one died in the amonia spike a had a couple weeks ago. This one has 2 layers and I feel it will make a better looking piece when it grows a little.

Zoas

post-39211-1243004967_thumb.jpg

Orange Delight

post-39211-1243004925_thumb.jpg

I lucked out on this frag. I stoped by my LFS just as a guy was asking if the owner wanted it. It had broken off his mother colony in a move and he did not want it. I asked what he would like for it and after a discussion he we traded a frag of my rpe's (Red peaple eater) for this piece.

Sun Corals

post-39211-1243004952_thumb.jpgpost-39211-1243004947_thumb.jpg

As a few of you know these are my favourite corals. I have had the orange and the yellow for about 5 months now. I have been searching for a black sun for quite some time. It was the coral that got me started in this hobby and I have finally acquired one. It is very hard to get a clear picture of a black sun however. It is situated between the Orange and the Yellow, if you look hard you can see it.

post-39211-1243004963.jpg

In this picture you can see a few of the yellow suns new heads that have formed. It is now a 15 head sun though 8 of them are still quite small.

I hope you have all enjoyed this updated post. If you have any questions or comments please ask.

post-39211-1243004881_thumb.jpg

post-39211-1243004958_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted. I have had a very busy summer so far. Here is a few pictures of how my sytem is coming along. I am very happy with how my corals are developing.

Tank

post-39211-1250346616_thumb.jpg

Blastomus and Sun Corals (Orang, Yellow, Black)

post-39211-1250346632_thumb.jpgpost-39211-1250346621_thumb.jpg

Random Corals

post-39211-1250346608_thumb.jpg

Darwin & Mandarin: I finaly got a half decent picture of one of my two Darwins

post-39211-1250346637_thumb.jpgpost-39211-1250347004_thumb.jpgpost-39211-1250347010_thumb.jpg

I am currently in the process of building a 65G system with a 36G Sump refugium. I will will start a thread on this system once I get it all started.

Best regards to you all

post-39211-1250346645_thumb.jpg

I am a newbie and just read your log from start to finsh. Great tank. Incredible array of coral. I am new to the hobby and looing at either the nanocube 24 gal dx or my LFS has the nanocube 28 gal HQI for $399 with the stand. I was concerned that if I went with the 24 with the stock lighting that I would be handcuffed but from the looks of your tank, not the case. Any suggestions on going with either the HQI or the 24 dx tanks. Thanks

I am a newbie and just read your log from start to finsh. Great tank. Incredible array of coral. I am new to the hobby and looing at either the nanocube 24 gal dx or my LFS has the nanocube 28 gal HQI for $399 with the stand. I was concerned that if I went with the 24 with the stock lighting that I would be handcuffed but from the looks of your tank, not the case. Any suggestions on going with either the HQI or the 24 dx tanks. Thanks

Hello "Feendog"

First of all let me say thank you for stopping by and reading the thread, Also thank you for your kind words. I would have loved to get the 28G HQI when I bought the 24G DX. The problem was finding the 28G HQI. As you have seen the 24G DX is a very versatile little system. I have LPS, SPS, and softies all living and growing.

As for a suggestion between a 24G DX or a 28G HQI, First decide what you want to keep in the system. Also bring into factor all the costs and pros and cons of that decision. The 28G HQI is gorgeous but it does tend to create allot of heat. A friend of mine has one and he loves it but you will need a chiller to keep it from getting to hot. I am sure there are people that will disagree with me on the chiller. The 28G HQI is awesome for SPS coral because of its HQI light obviously. Keep in mind however that most SPS also have very particular feeding and water needs.

The 24G DX is an amazing starter system. It has taught me allot and I am sure I will keep it running for years to come. In saying this I would have loved to buy a 28G HQI with a chiller. The 28G has an open back behind the hood so you can add a small skimmer easily. The open back would also make water changes and water testing easier I am sure. It is a little larger though this is not much of an upgrade in my opinion. Also do to the open back you could very easily plumb a sump with/or a refugium into it. It is not so much larger that you can add any different fish or really any more fish to it over the 24G.

So in summation I would say for a starter tank go with the 24G DX.

If you would like a more advanced system, that you can add a skimmer or a sump too, go with the 28G HQI.

I hope this helps

Best Regards

Khayman B)

Archived