Coral Vue Hydros

24G Nano Cube

Khayman

hey Khayman, great thread. I've learned quite a bit. Just starting a Nano myself, and was wondering about your spiny cucumber. How's it doing? I've read that keeping a cucumber in a Nano is not recommended. You've dispelled some other myths, is this one of them? Also, where did you purchase it? I'm in the GTA, and have never seen one for sale.

jhjones2000

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. The Cucumber is doing great, though I rarely see it. It lives in my rockwork and helps keep my Tank clean. As far as where I got, the LFS I use is here in Cambridge it is called Living Aquarium here is the #519-651-7329.

Also I will say in my short time on this forum I have found alot of what many, so called experinced people say was impossible, is very possible.

I would also like to thank you for your kind words

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello everyone

Here is a quick update. I have added a few pictures.

Tank Pictures

post-39211-1232495215_thumb.jpg ---- post-39211-1232495257_thumb.jpg

Corals

Green Mushrooms ------------------------- Hammer Coral

post-39211-1232495220_thumb.jpg -- post-39211-1232495225_thumb.jpg

Zoa's, Dendro, and Pearl Coral

post-39211-1232495209_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the coral is that is growing beside the Dendro and above the Pearls coral? I purchased this coral skelly as a cool looking peice of LR and this coral started to apear on it. So I truely have no idea what it is.

Orange Sun Coral ------------------------ Yellow Sun Coral

post-39211-1232495239_thumb.jpg -- post-39211-1232495264_thumb.jpg

My orange and yellow suns have come a long way. If you have read my thread you will already know these were a cople of very sick corals when i got them. I pair $10.00 for the orange and the yellow was free. The yellow only had 7 small heads on it. It now has 5 medium heads 1 large and 2 small. So I would say it is on the mend.

Ricordia

post-39211-1232495252_thumb.jpg

My rics just recently split. I gave 2 of the green to a freind and kept 1 for myself. The Orange split but the new one floated off into the rock work and I can not retrive it. Will it still grow or will it die with no lighting?

Leather Coral

post-39211-1232495229_thumb.jpg

This leather is a veru odd little guy. It will look amazing for a few days. Then for no reason I can think of it shlivels up and looks awful for about a day or so. Does anyone know why? The frags I have given to people from the original mother colony never do this. I will say however that I kept the smallest peice and it is easily 10 times larger than any of the other frags other people have.

Red Mandarine

post-39211-1232495234.jpg

post-39211-1232495247_thumb.jpg

Before anyone critisizes this fish and my purchasing it I would like to say this. The Mandarine is eating frozen, she is also in good health. I also know that there is a good chance she can die in my setup. Remember though that if she stayed at the LFS some one who did no research could have bought her. I made sure she was eating. As I stated earlier in my thread my LFS was happy to get one that was trained to eat frozen. They then kept her for a couple of weeks to be certain she was eating. I am however curious about this fishes sleeping habits. It seems that when she is asleep her colour fades out alot. I was worried the first time I seen this I though she was dead. As soon as I turn on the lights however she colours up and is looking for food and eats very happily. If you have any positive comments or advice they are welcomed.

If you have nothing but uneducated critisims please refrain from commenting. I do not mean to sound rude by this statment. By uneducated critisims I mean those who do not offer solid advice through experience or research. I am tring to get this thread to a point where people that want solid advice from experince can come and reference.

Hi

I agree with your comment about another person buying a fish without researching it. Every Saturday for 4 years I spent at my mentors Marine Fish Store. No pay, just fun and I was addicted. I hate to tell you how many times I bought a fish so that some (idiot - sorry I'm bad) would not have a chance to kill it. I even had to stop going to petco as I could not handle how they treated their fish. One day I walked home with 5 fresh and saltwater fish, not because I wanted them, because I had to save them.

There is some lady on the board who trained hers to eat, and melvreef (spelling) shows a great video on his site on how he feeds his mandarins. He uses a glass spaghetti jar and it eats dry food. OMG how cool is that?

On a side note: where did you get that thing holding your cheato? I would like to get one for my tank.

Hi

I agree with your comment about another person buying a fish without researching it. Every Saturday for 4 years I spent at my mentors Marine Fish Store. No pay, just fun and I was addicted. I hate to tell you how many times I bought a fish so that some (idiot - sorry I'm bad) would not have a chance to kill it. I even had to stop going to petco as I could not handle how they treated their fish. One day I walked home with 5 fresh and saltwater fish, not because I wanted them, because I had to save them.

There is some lady on the board who trained hers to eat, and melvreef (spelling) shows a great video on his site on how he feeds his mandarins. He uses a glass spaghetti jar and it eats dry food. OMG how cool is that?

On a side note: where did you get that thing holding your cheato? I would like to get one for my tank.

Laura6686

The item holing my cheato was bought at the Dollar store. It is a plastic container that I drilled several holes in. It is held in place a magnet.

Also let me say thatnk you for your comments.

Hello Everyone.

I am just messaging you all to let you know I had a Amonnia level spike about 8 days ago. It shot up past 6ppm very scary stuff. I have lost a couple coral do to this. The leather, Xenia, Montipora, Star polyps, yellow zoas and green zoas are all R.I.P the amonia is back down to about 1ppm or 0.5ppm and they are still dropping. I am unsure as of yet what may have caused the problem. My 2 clowns, dottyback and Mandarine are all fine and seem unaffected. Also the whole CUC is accounted for and fine, I have not seen the cucumber in about 2 days but that is normal for it. I did see the cucumber traveling around while the amonia was up. Also the Clam is fine.

The corals that survived the spike are as follows. The Yellow and Orange Sun Coral, Dendrophylia, Pearl Coral (bubble coral), green and orange Rics, Pink Zoas, Geen mushrooms, purple mushrooms, hammer Coral, and the Torch Coral have all survived.

The replacement coral has already been selected and are waiting at the LFS until I feel the tank is stable enough for it. I want atleast a few days with the amonia at Zero or maybe even longer.

Replacements are as follows and I will post pictures once they are in the tank. Red Ricordia, Pink Finger Leather (off same mother as the one I had die), Red Mushroom, Red zoa (centre is red ridges are blue and green), Star polyp (a Vibrant Green this time), and also the owner of the LFS I use is giving a frag of his yellow Figi leather. The LFS feels awful about the amonia spike so the Figi is a freebe.

Here is an update on the ammonia. It is stable at 1ppm so far nothing else has changed. I have used ammonia block to help keep it from rising again. The LFS I use believe it was my sand bed that caused the rise it is 1.5 inches deep and I only had 4 Nassarius snails as sand sifters. I researched a lot on sand beds and discovered that if the bed is 1.5 inches deep it could trap toxic gasses and ammonia if not properly sifted. The equation I found if using Nassarius for sifters it should be 1 Nassarius snail for every square inch of sand bed. I have upped my population to 16 animals. I know is seems a little high so I will monitor them and they were all very small.

Does anyone know if this many Nassarius snails would be bad? Can you have to many?

My LFS said in their display 34G cube they have over 20 Nassarius snail and it is fine. They use the display so people can see what the limits of a small saltwater aquarium are. It has been up and running for 1 year now with no incidents. I do trust my LFS but I would like some experienced feedback please. I have also read it is very difficult to over populate snails, so long as they have a ready food source. With my mandarine and it constant feeding the LFS feel there will be more than efficient food for the snails. They also sold me the 12 I bought for only $10.00. they also said they would be happy to take some back if I chose.

Also any advise on dropping my ammonia will be appreciated. Though I think the snails should take care of it for me.

The Ammonia is back to a stable 0 again in the tank. I have waited for 4 days and the tests are still all reading 0.

I will be adding to new corals this week. I will have pictures posted soon.

The Ammonia is back to a stable 0 again in the tank. I have waited for 4 days and the tests are still all reading 0.

I will be adding to new corals this week. I will have pictures posted soon.

Good luck with the ammonia levels.

i am starting a 24g nanocube soon and found a lot of helpfull info on your post. Hopefully my tank will end up looking nearly as good.

Here are the current pictures of the aquarium. Please keep in mind that the growth has been very limited this month, I had my ammonias rocket up to 8ppm early this month. It took 3 full weeks to get it back to Zero. I do have a few other corals waiting to be placed in the aquarium. they are currently at the LFS in a holding tank for me.

I am happy to say that all the fish and the Clam survived the spike seemingly unharmed.

Front

post-39211-1235510797_thumb.jpg

Right Side

post-39211-1235510809_thumb.jpg

Left Side

post-39211-1235510815_thumb.jpg

Corals

Australian Acan NEW

post-39211-1235510824_thumb.jpg

This Picture does not do this Frag justice at all. It is a brilliant red with a bright green centre. Also the surrounding the red flesh the skeleton is deep blue

Red Mushroom NEW-------------------Ricordea

post-39211-1235510843_thumb.jpgpost-39211-1235510850_thumb.jpg

This mushroom is also a very bright red. --- I have a 3 different colour Ric's on this coral skeleton

Here are the current pictures of my Sun Corals. Also my new Zoanthus, they are bright green w/ a brown border

post-39211-1235510857_thumb.jpg

Dendro, Bubble Coral & Blasto frag (Blasto is NEW)

post-39211-1235510836_thumb.jpg

Red Jelly Brain Coral

post-39211-1235510830_thumb.jpg

???

post-39211-1235514943_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what this brown Coral is? It just started to grow or should I say regrow on this piece of LR. There was a coral Skeleton embedded in the LR.

The new corals are sweet! And your tank is looking great! What do you feed your suncorals? I'd kind of like to get one, but I don't have much experience with them.

The new corals are sweet! And your tank is looking great! What do you feed your suncorals? I'd kind of like to get one, but I don't have much experience with them.

Thank you for you Comments Lizzie

As for the Sun Corals I feed them a mix of frozen mysis, brine and Daphnia shrimp every 3 days. Also once per week I spot feed each head a small piece of uncooked jumbo shrimp.

I purchased both my suns near to death and have worked hard to bring them back from the brink. My Dendro was also in the same state. It is important to note that these corals are low light coral. They also do not have any photosynthetic ability. Also Suns and Dendro's will filter feed as well. Sun Coral unlike Dendro is a night time coral. They tend only to open, unless trained, at night. the Dendo opens at all hours and will also grow larger heads.

I hope this answers your question.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone

I am finally getting settled after the move. Everything went well and I am happy to report no losses except a pocelian crab. I am very happy no fish or coral died. The mandarine did go about 2 days without eating but she is doing fine as of this morning.

I will get some new pictures up once my camera is unpacked :P

reefman225gal
I posted this earlier on another reefes thread and I feel it has relivance here also. Please only give advice if you have the proper experience of evidence to back-up your claims.

Alot of the so-called high light animals and corals live in low light or even perpetual darkness in the ocean. Sun coral is a perfect example. Many hobbyists will tell you that it cannot live except under MH or T5 lighting. I often fine this a very hilarious opinion. Sun Coral in the wild is found in very dark caves with little to no exposure to sunlight.

I was going to tell you that the suns were non-photosynthetic thats why you find them in low light areas, but reading toward the end of your page I see you have figured that out :) Your tank looks good.

Hello Everyone

Here are the pictures of the aquarium and its new setup after the move. As to be expected things got rearranged. There are also some new corals, so let me know what you all think.

Front

post-39211-1238164822_thumb.jpg

Coral

Orange & Yellow Suns

post-39211-1238167356_thumb.jpg

As you may already know these are my favorite corals

Two Headed Torch

post-39211-1238164927_thumb.jpg

Acan

post-39211-1238164998_thumb.jpg

Blastomus

post-39211-1238165101_thumb.jpg

Red Pimple Mushroom

post-39211-1238165295_thumb.jpg

Bubble

post-39211-1238165153_thumb.jpg

Red Jelly Brain

post-39211-1238166358.jpg

Zoanthids

post-39211-1238166163_thumb.jpg In this picture you can see my New Red People Eater RPE Zoa, and my New Red Yamma

Blue NEW ---------------------------- Incredible Hulk NEW

post-39211-1238165443_thumb.jpg --- post-39211-1238165869_thumb.jpg

Green Pally NEW

post-39211-1238165989_thumb.jpg

Lunar Eclips NEW

post-39211-1238166039_thumb.jpg

Red Mandarin Dragonet

post-39211-1238166520_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238166526_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238166532_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238166539_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238166549_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238166556_thumb.jpg

As you can see she is doing great. She has been in the tank for 10 weeks now and has survived allot ex: Ammonia spike and a move. For those that are interested here is the link to the discussion I started when I purchased this amazing little fish and brought her home. I have had some negative but allot of positive feed back from this. I do hope that this will help people in the future when they are considering this little fish, they are allot of work. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182691

Clam

post-39211-1238167095_thumb.jpg

I know I put pictures of this clam up alot. It is growing like mad easily over one inch of growth since I added it to the tank. My Girl loves her little purple clam.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say very nice tank. I especially like you Zoa selections and your Suns. The bubble coral is quite nice also.

Also I have visited you mandarin thread and I must say good job.

Thank you both

I will say suncorals and Dendro are alot of work. The both require spot feeding.

Here is a question to anyone that can answer. My Acan is fading it is turning white (Clear), though it seems to still be growing a little. Does anyone know why this happen?

Just a fast update.

My male Darwin clown has puffy eye / Cloudy eye, I am treating it. None of the other fish seem effected by this and he is still eating and I am told this is a good sign.

Here is an update on the Sampson (Male Darwin)

His cloudy eye has gone into remission; I have been told that it can come back. His eye is clear again but still a little inflated. I am told the eye will always be a little inflated. Is this true does anyone know? Also does anyone know what I can do to get the swelling down if anything?

During his illness Delilah (Female Darwin) was very protective of him. She kept the other fish in the aquarium away from him and was very aggressive. Delilah would even bring Sampson food.

I hope people are reading this and are able to give me advise.

Carlton'sTank

I don't have advice on the clowns but I was curious about your acans...what lighting do you have them under? Have they always been on the sandbed in direct light? Do you feed them often? You may just want to give them a spot with less intense light. It looks like bleaching IMO so try setting them slightly under an overhang. NICE TANK.

Sweet lunar eclipse frag, I got some of those and was wondering what they were called! I am of no help on the clownfish case, but your tank looks awesome! And your clam is really pretty :)

Carlton

Thank you for the advice on the Acan's, they were a gift from a friend and I had no idea they we low light coral. I will move them ASAP

Archived