SaltCritters.com

32Gallon DIY AIO Tank

Squinchy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See i use tape to hold the glass in place when I'm gluing it together, and i use match sticks to space the glass from each other, see if you glue 2 glass panels and just press them all the way to gather then you will press all the silicone out of the seam, and then you will end up with a tank that has no strength and will fall apart when you fill it

But if you use some thing like a match stick or some thing small like a match stick the you place in beatvine the 2 glasses you will end up with an even spaced seam of silicone in beatvine the 2 glasses, thus getting more hold from your silicone

• 2 weeks later...

Light's around 425$

Glass was around 50$

Black plexi was 11$

the to fans 18$

Hydor flo around 25$

Sand around 50$

Silicone 20$

magnets around 28$

25.kg of red sea salt 106$

And i already had all the wood i used to make the stand and hood and some LR

So around 733$

I'm probably forgetting some thing tho :P

See i use tape to hold the glass in place when I'm gluing it together, and i use match sticks to space the glass from each other, see if you glue 2 glass panels and just press them all the way to gather then you will press all the silicone out of the seam, and then you will end up with a tank that has no strength and will fall apart when you fill it

But if you use some thing like a match stick or some thing small like a match stick the you place in beatvine the 2 glasses you will end up with an even spaced seam of silicone in beatvine the 2 glasses, thus getting more hold from your silicone

First of all, SWEET!

Very nice job. Cant wait to see it stocked.

Now, trying to wrap my mind around what you said.

Matchsticks, wooden or matchbook size?

when you apply the silicone, wont you have pockets of no silicon where the matchsticks was?

if the matchsticks are removed as the silicone is applied, wont it cause the glass to tilt from the glass weight?

assuming the front pane was siliconed first. to attach the sides you rest it on the front pane-so the side panes will sit on the front piece and 'rest' against the bottom pane?

I can imagine the back pane was a bit of a pain.

I imagine you apply the silicone on the inside, and 'force' the silicone thru the gap and letting it bead up on the inside where it is smoothed out with finger or scraper. then razor blade the excess buildup on the outside

isnt black silicone more of a PITA to use than clear?

also, how difficult overall with NO tankbuilding experience?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd love to build (or buy?) a custom tank someday. I really like the rimless look

DAMN...$106 for red sea salt? $425 for the light?

Yeah almost all things that are shipped to Iceland you can expect 2 - 3X the $ :P

but yeah the MH bulb was 142$ ish

the ballast and light fixture was 186$ ish

and the T5 bulb's + ballast was around 100$

omgomgomg:D

Whacked:

Thanks for the kind words :D

And i used wooden match stick's, and i just push them like 1/8" in the seam so the gap is almost nothing, then when the silicone is getting a little firm i pull the stick's out and fill the tiny hole up with silicone

Yeas i started with the front panel and B4 gluing the side i removed the match stick's away so the sides can be glued

The friction of the table under the glass will hold it in place, unless you accidentally bump in to it and move it out of it's place, then you have to step back a little and correct it :)

Black silicone is prettier and will hold it's elegance better over time but there is less room for visual errors seeing how the black silicone stands more out to the one looking at the tank

That's why the best way to make Black Silicone look good is to use masking tape and make a straight line where you want the silicone to stop flowing on to the glass

Think i have answered all the questions but if not just pm me :)

unless you live in Iceland i cant help you with a custom tank haha :D

so the electrics are in the cabinet :)

344779389.jpg

I also did hang the T5PC ballast up, have not gotten around to the MH ballast, I'm thinking of placing a cooling plate or fan for the MH ballast, it get's pretty hot :)

Also there is my year supply of salt, 25.kg :D

344779326.jpg

The 120mm fans are in the hood and very silent :D

344779466.jpg

344779511.jpg

(Still need to paint the side of the tank where the back chambers are :P)

i got a use Koralia 2 for 17,85$ and shipping was 4,28 so 22$ ish sound's a whole lot better then +100$ for a new one in the shops here omgomgomg

344779575.jpg

Also got my new TMC V2 Refractometer last night for 71,34$ :)

It's the shipping that kills him most of the time. I just sent him some float switches, and it was over $25 just for USPS priority mail!!!

Man, You need to get somebody to do your shopping for you....can you use eBay in Iceland?

I can but like Evilc66 said the shipping it not cheap and i don't want to buy and electronics over sea, in case the item fails it will cost me allot of money to send the device out to the supplier and maybe get a replace ment

So 2 shipments + toll for the items it quick to pile up in $ :)

I'd rather spend a few extra $ to get the 2 Year warranty law on electronics benefits here in Iceland :P

Plus it's quite time consuming to order items over seas

Ive seen some stunning photos of Iceland landscape. Simply beautiful.

Just remind me not to move there :)

well, at least not with a couple shipping containers full of reef goodies :)

Thanks for answering my questions. I am really liking what you are doing so far.

I'm thinking of something with a display footprint of 24x18 or 24x20. havent found anything yet but still looking,...

Yeah there sure is no shortage of landscape here :P

i would go 24x22 if you have the space for it, and have a sump, IMO it's so easyer then the AIO :P kinda wish i made this one with a sump but it's to late now haha :D

• 1 month later...

So i got my ATO half way up :), i have a 8 liter container to store the water

349847409.jpg

I have an Air stone in there to keep the water fresh :)

349847478.jpg

I use a Hagen Powerhead 402 to pump the water up

349847601.jpg

When i connected the air stone in the container to the Skimmer air pump it added more air flow to the skimmers air stone and it started foaming like crazy :P

349847557.jpg

Now i just need to setup the Relay and float switches to control the Powerhead :)

Here are some FTS

349847679.jpg

349847755.jpg

349847715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your tank looks great. I really like your design and the workmanship is proffessional. When you cut your glass for your tank did you cut all the panels the same size or did you adjust the sizes to allow for the silicon?

So i got the stand built :), just need to get one shelf in there and all the electrics in and then i can put water in the tank :D

Here are some pictures (Im also doing some remodeling to the apartment so sorry for the mess haha :D)

342113709.jpg

342113748.jpg

I really like your stand. The build looks simple, but could you list the hardware you used and what you did for painting/staining?

Thanks!

Archived