Coral Vue Hydros

Crocea not happy

skydive

It didn't like the spot it was in for some reason and rolled down the rocks this morning and now everywhere I put it, it tries to attach but rolls off again. When it's opening and closing fast to try and push the foot into the rock it gets wobbly and there it is on the sand bed laying over on its side. This has been going on for the last 3 hours.

What's the easiest way to hold it steady until its firmly attached? I've heard of zip ties and fishing line but wouldn't that cut into the mantle?

So I just keep doing this? Placing it somewhere and waiting for it to fall off then try the next spot? (:angry: there it goes again while I'm typing this) So basically it's going to die if I don't get it attached today because if it doesn't it will be sitting where ever it lands till Friday.

The way the rocks are, the only flat places to put it are over corals. When it first fell this morning I woke up to it sitting right on top of the plate coral and later the trumpet.

How long can they survive being on their side or completely inverted?

The way the rocks are, the only flat places to put it are over corals. When it first fell this morning I woke up to it sitting right on top of the plate coral and later the trumpet.

How long can they survive being on their side or completely inverted?

I had a jumping problem when I first got my crocea. I made a good crevice between two rocks and put the clam in that (not to where it couldn't open but where it would not be able to fall over). He eventually attached to one of the rocks then I could move that rock wherever I wanted. Hasn't moved since. At first I had him sitting on a single rock and he would always fall.

Could I put some LRR around it? I gave up on putting it higher on the rocks and placed it on a small one on the sand and so far it hasn't jumped.

Could I put some LRR around it? I gave up on putting it higher on the rocks and placed it on a small one on the sand and so far it hasn't jumped.

i am having the same exact problem as you! i got a maxima a few days ago and it seems to get pissed when i put it up on the rocks! it doesn't even wait 5 minutes to blow itself off when i place it closer to the halides. ironically, it is seeming to like the sand on the bottom (it doesn't try to move) but i've heard that maximas typically are found attached to rocks and not the substrate. if anyone has some more insight that would be great.

horizons - I put it on top of a smaller (flat) rock and built up LRR around it so it won't be able to fall..er hopefully.

Thanks CollegeNano it seems to be working.

horizons - I put it on top of a smaller (flat) rock and built up LRR around it so it won't be able to fall..er hopefully.

Thanks CollegeNano it seems to be working.

i guess i'm going to try and wait it out and see how it adapts to the sand for the time being and let whatever natural habitat in my tank take over. best of luck on yours though, i might resort to doing the same thing if i decide to harrass it again!

• 1 month later...

Mine always seemed to like the sand BUT in the last couple of weeks they have started to bleach under my T-5s even though they are expanded and seem healthy otherwise. I have tried to move my larger one up higher toward the light, hopefully it'll help with the bleaching!

Mine jumped almost every day for the first 2-3 weeks, I found it mantle side down in the sand over and over. It should be OK as long as you keep putting it back.

It was a little tricky to get it to stay. There was a small crevice that the base fit into, kinda like it was sitting in a spoon. I had to get it just right, but you could see the byssal threads coming out and trying to grasp the rock. Finally attached and is now firmly in place.

i dont have any problems with my crocea. i try to play it as close to the light as possible and its happy. my maxima seems to be picky. everywhere i place it it jumps around. i tried wedging it between some large LR but it just pushed them apart like nothing. (one was a 3lb rock and the other is very very big)

strong little guys.

my maxima seems to like the sand.

try both to see which yields better results.

Archived