SaltCritters.com

Clam in a 10G for 3 months...

I Ate A Cake

So my LFS has some gorgeous new Clams; either Maxima or Crocea (didnt have enough time to ask/check this time). They are probably no bigger than 4", if not 3". They are priced from $50-$70, and since I usually spend that much at the LFS every time I visit, I was wondering if I could keep one. I know I am going to get mixed reviews here.

Now, my 10G tank has been running for almost 4 months. It has a 96W PC light (current SunPaq Retrofit), with a Frogspawn Coral, Zoas, Palys, Mushrooms, GSP, Pipe Organ, a small frag of leather coral, and a Plate (Xenia too, soon). 2 Occleraris Clowns, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Hermits and Snails. I dont know if the livestock will affect it or not.

And, I will be upgrading to a 20H to a 28G Bowfront (havent decied on size) before Christmas. I will be getting either a MH or t5 light. I am aware of the size Maximas get, but if it happens to be a Crocea, would it be fine in a 10G for 3 months, max? If not, how long? Or should I just completley hold off untill I upgrade?

I have seen people who have clams in a 10g with success, so it can be done. I plan on putting a crocea in my 10g after more research. Though 4 months seems quite young, I would wait a little longer for your tank to establish. Also, you must keep your calcium in check especially in a 10, because they deplete it rather quickly. I don't know if 96w of pc will be adequate lighting, so I will let someone chime in on that. Good luck! :)

Usually at christmas time LFS have Christmas specials. I'd wait+plus you'll have done reseach and know more about the hobby.

Solid point. Why not wait, I'm sure clams will be available closer to Christmas. One, especially crocea, won't survive under PC very long.

I've had my crocea in my 12G AP for 5 months under a 70W MH. It's pretty much 10G of actual tank viewing space. I got the clam ~4 to 5 months of tank aging for ~$40

Well, those prices really are nothing special at all, in fact they may be a bit high. Wait until you have the proper conditions, which IMO 96w PC does not fall under.

its about placement. someone had a clam in a 2.5g for a month with just 18w PC switched to 10g with some PC or T5s. havent seen a clam died from PC lighting yet. the things i would be looking into is not overfeeding and the light. high wattage lights give off a lot of heat. im able to keep my tank between 80-81 thanks to the LEDs.

• 3 weeks later...
So my LFS has some gorgeous new Clams; either Maxima or Crocea (didnt have enough time to ask/check this time). They are probably no bigger than 4", if not 3". They are priced from $50-$70, and since I usually spend that much at the LFS every time I visit, I was wondering if I could keep one. I know I am going to get mixed reviews here.

Now, my 10G tank has been running for almost 4 months. It has a 96W PC light (current SunPaq Retrofit), with a Frogspawn Coral, Zoas, Palys, Mushrooms, GSP, Pipe Organ, a small frag of leather coral, and a Plate (Xenia too, soon). 2 Occleraris Clowns, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Hermits and Snails. I dont know if the livestock will affect it or not.

And, I will be upgrading to a 20H to a 28G Bowfront (havent decied on size) before Christmas. I will be getting either a MH or t5 light. I am aware of the size Maximas get, but if it happens to be a Crocea, would it be fine in a 10G for 3 months, max? If not, how long? Or should I just completley hold off untill I upgrade?

WOW! $50 to $70 Hmm that's just a little crazy or is it just me! :P I got my clam a week ago doing great for like $20 at my LFS> http://www.nemofish.us/ But I know all about the over price LFS I have one here 2. I fill like I get ripped off each time I go in there even if I just got a snail :lol:

WOW! $50 to $70 Hmm that's just a little crazy or is it just me! :P I got my clam a week ago doing great for like $20 at my LFS> http://www.nemofish.us/ But I know all about the over price LFS I have one here 2. I fill like I get ripped off each time I go in there even if I just got a snail :lol:

Sweet, someone from Charlotte! I go to school at Chapel Hill but live in Cornelius.

one of the main reasons why ive been avoiding purchasing a clam is that my clowns try to host everything, the male even likes the LR sometimes, im afraid they would jump right in if I added a clam to the tank, resulting on either dead fish or an irritated clam

Wait until you get a 20 gallon and better lighting. Then wait another 3-4 months assuming you use the LR, sand and water from your 10g and 6 months if you don't. Then add a clam.

Your 10g is still going through micro cycles that will potentially kill your clam.

Your lighting is at the very low end of possible for some Crocea and/or Maxima. It has been done but depends on the clam and the clam will have to be at the very top of the tank just below the water line.

For those who claim they have had a clam for n months under 1 year and that its doing fine please follow up with a post at the 1 year mark and at the 1 year and 3 month mark stating the same. It seems that one can keep a clam for about 6 months or so then it mysteriously dies. Usually because of bad lighting, bad water, or bad placement.

Crocea are the most difficult and fragile of the clams with Maxima being second. Both must be on rock as they have very fine gills and sand can and will get trapped in the gills. Plus they may try to attach to the bottom of your tank.

Clowns may try to host it and thats fine. There are photos of clowns hosting clams. However odds are somewhat higher that your clam will close on your clown trapping and killing the clown and possibly the clam. Frankly most likely what will happen is they ignore it or try it once and get spooked when it snaps shut. Eventually the clam gets used to the fish.

uuh I hate these time periods people try to use, you don't have to wait over 4-5 months to add a clam. Like your tank is going to be any different at 6 months... :rolleyes:

Archived