Pod Your Reef

Yet another LED build thread

DarkDevil

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha, and more and more :) I almost filled it up, now I need more colors. I am slowly adding more corals into it, I am going to transfer some encrusting monti's to fill the void :)

• 1 month later...

darkdevil, where you able to measure the PAR rating on your retrofit and how many watts compared to a metal halide do you think is your retro comparable to?

I finally got my quantum sensor the other day, but I am kinda of busy these couple days. I will have the numbers soon, please stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

DarkDevil, That is an awesome build. I'm putting together a system like this for my planted tank minus the blue LEDs but the controller portion definitely takes it to the next level. I can see how the spotlight effect can get annoying...I believe the Solaris system cuts down on this spotlight effect by grouping 3 LEDs together (2 whites+1 blue or whatever combo) and using a triple LED lens which helps blends the lights better, similar to the one below which can be used on Seouls or Luxeons http://www.luxeonstar.com/fraen-wide-beam-...-leds-p-349.php. (This part can be found for much cheaper at FutureElectronics by the way) http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/techno...&CrossPart=

Also I wonder if the reflectors that you are using are 40 degrees because they do seem a little on the narrow side. The collminator's you got may give a better effect with a more even spread.

The spotlighting on most of these tanks is really only visible on camera. Unless you are using a super tight angle optic with wide LED spacing, thats the only time that it would be easy to notice spotlighting with the naked eye.

The LED arangement is on the AquaIllumination fixture, not the Solaris FYI.

Actually, 40 degree reflectors are quite wide angle for this kind of application. Depending on how tight the array is set up, down to 25 degree could be acceptable.

• 2 months later...
TheCurriculum

DarkDevil,

I'm currently in the process of building out a pictope for LED's. My question is how you are controlling the dimmer on the buckpucks. The only info I've gotton is that the External Control is volt based 0v 100%, 5v 0%. I have found a microprocessor but all outputs are 5v, do I need a board with this control option?

• 4 months later...

I really like your build.

i worked with some pics in college and might have to dive into this. it seems a lot cheaper than the RKL and ACL, but that seems much easier....

are you running 15 LEDs on 2 buckpucks? thats what it looks like from your pictures.

I didn't even notice a lot of the replies in my thread are gone due to site crash..... oh well.....

thx eyou, and yes it is much cheaper then RKL and ACL, you just have to put your brain to work for a little to work some kinks out. Building a full controller do require some initial planning when you are using PICs, you will quickly run into timing and display of data problems. Sometimes it's not as easy as you would think comparing to your PIC classes in college, but it's not hard either.

Also, yes I am 15 LEDs with 2 1000mA buckpucks, actually 16 LEDs now. 6 royal blue running off 1 buckpuck so each of them run at 1000mA. And 10 LEDs running 2 sets of 5s in series for the other buckpuck, so that's 500mA to each of these 10 LEDs which consists of 8 white and 2 UV.

I didn't even notice a lot of the replies in my thread are gone due to site crash..... oh well.....

thx eyou, and yes it is much cheaper then RKL and ACL, you just have to put your brain to work for a little to work some kinks out. Building a full controller do require some initial planning when you are using PICs, you will quickly run into timing and display of data problems. Sometimes it's not as easy as you would think comparing to your PIC classes in college, but it's not hard either.

Also, yes I am 15 LEDs with 2 1000mA buckpucks, actually 16 LEDs now. 6 royal blue running off 1 buckpuck so each of them run at 1000mA. And 10 LEDs running 2 sets of 5s in series for the other buckpuck, so that's 500mA to each of these 10 LEDs which consists of 8 white and 2 UV.

You have the whites running at half their output? So it gives you more of a blue look in your tank right?

Did I read write, you ahve three pumps in your BC8? That sounds like crazy flow, I looked at your FTS and I didn't see the pumps...very nice build, great write up. I also have a BC8. Wish I could do something likethat.

You have the whites running at half their output? So it gives you more of a blue look in your tank right?

Did I read write, you ahve three pumps in your BC8? That sounds like crazy flow, I looked at your FTS and I didn't see the pumps...very nice build, great write up. I also have a BC8. Wish I could do something likethat.

lol yeah when i saw the dimming video you can see how much flow is going out on the water surface and its pretty crazy.

It's not that blue, it's perfect for me, I would think it's about 12kk-14kk ish, since it's not as blue as my 20kk 250W XM bulb.

I love the flow.... hehe, and I actually added more just recently. From that video, I have Maxi 400 coming from the left nozzle, Maxi 600 coming out from the right nozzle (chiller return), and a Maxi 1200 hiding behind all those rock work.

I recently took the Maxi 1200 out and replaced it with a K-Nano, coz once a while my pistol shimp would pick up the sand and throw it at the 1200 which the 1200 spitting it back out all over the place. So now I have even more flow with the K-nano :) and I loved it, although now I got a little sand dune at the corner because of that.

6 royal blue running off 1 buckpuck so each of them run at 1000mA.

Quick question regarding power supply voltage. Looking at the CREE docs the forward voltage of the royal blues is 3.7V, so for 6 that is 22.2V that makes 24.2V minium required for the BuckPuck, correct? Your power supply is 24V seems to be right on the edge? I ask as I am looking at a similar setup 18 LEDS controlled by 3 BuckPucks.

Cheers,

0.2v isn't going to make a difference. Most powersupplies run a little out of spec anyway (typically +/- 10%), and the 3.7v on the datasheet for the LEDs is a theoretical limit at a certain drive current. Many of the LEDs could be running at a slightly lower voltage. It's nothing to worry about.

• 1 month later...

Hello=) Im the New guy on this forum now=) im from sweden and i have a 14 gallon nano reef here at home.

And i have plans to put in LEDs instead of the original PC lights.

I have been looking att Cutters home page for som Xr-e leds but i cant figure out how to order=(

So DarkDevil how did you do to order the right components?

the only Xr-e led i can find are Cool white Q5 cree with a color temp at 6350k

/Tom

Okey!

i have been looking for some stuff but i cant really get a grip on all the components i need for the build=(

Anyone that can give me a shopping list on the electrical components thats needed for a good lighting to a 14 gallon aquarium?

Please see the LED Project List stickey at the top of this forum to see projects that are identicle to yours. More than one of them have complete parts lists and pictures.

Okey thanks.

Wich is the easiest and best site to order the components from? best price and fastest shipping?

Here in sweden, the cheapest leds cost about 12 dollars each. So to order led stuff from US is going to be alot cheaper for me.

Archived