Innovative Marine Aquariums

Uwwmatt's DIY Biocube Fuge Light

uwwmatt

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters
don't want to discourage anyone but i had this exact setup running for close to a month w/ a 25w bulb & the chaeto kept on dying. and of course giving me even higher nitrate numbers. i even tried a different wattage bulb but finally gave up.

good luck.

How do you kill chaeto? I have some in my fish room in a bucket of salt water. Its been there for six months with no aeration or direct light and its still alive.

Since moving the light from TOP OF CHAMBER (2 feet deep) to BEHIND like how you folks are doing it. My chaeto TOOK OFF !

Seriously, the growth, expansion and steroid injection of light has caused my chaeto to GROW ! lol

I used to harvest ever month or so, but NOW ?! I am harvesting in just 3-5 days. Well since my last big prune. HAHAH.

I rotate it and turn it over. I must remember to clean up the detrius in the back though.

I guess the lesson is, plants need light and if its too far away from it, it won't grow.

The easiest thing to do is just shake it out in the old tank water when you are doing your water changes.

I do this with my chaeto every week and works fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know how I can remain the light fixture attached to the velcro? Over time the light fixture has fallen off the velcro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm using the desk lamp with the quad bulb PC 6500K. Home Depot has them for $19.99.

So far in the last 3 days at 6 hours a night I'm seeing good growth.

It's been a week now with my quad bulb. The chaeto has grown about 60-70% bigger. I had a sligth diatom spike and it has passed now.

I'm went from 6 hours a night on the bulb up to 7 now.

It's been a week now with my quad bulb. The chaeto has grown about 60-70% bigger. I had a sligth diatom spike and it has passed now.

I'm went from 6 hours a night on the bulb up to 7 now.

What type of bulb are you using? Link?

You get much more light and more room if you have it in the back as opposed to having it light down from the top.

Lowes and Home Depot both sell the desk lamp witht his bulb in it. The Home Depot one is the cheapest at $19.99. I got the Lowes version for $39.99. Personal preference really.

I added up the DIY project parts in the store and It was easier and about the same cost just to buy the desk lamp IMO.

i did the mod

really good info in this post B)B)

i did a black acrilic box

8 watts CF and 6cm fan (will run 24/7) i will see if i need more light later

Looks great, I like to see that people are improving on the original design.

Looks great, I like to see that people are improving on the original design.

Hey uwwmatt I have been extremely busy. Good to see you.

I'm thinking about rebuilding my box. But not sure how I'm going to do it.

Hey uwwmatt I have been extremely busy. Good to see you.

I'm thinking about rebuilding my box. But not sure how I'm going to do it.

Hey nanoreef11,

Well however you do it, make sure you post it here and let us see what you've come up with!

Hey nanoreef11,

Well however you do it, make sure you post it here and let us see what you've come up with!

Yea I'm trying to redesign my back chambers. The media basket I bought from StevieT didn't work for me. Too small for the chaeto and the chemipure barely fit. I was getting red/purple slime algae building. My chaeto has really shrunk because i kept rinsing it. Going to see if I can build a light fixture for the back to replenish what I lost.

Hey my chiller is setup with the pump in chamber 1 and the return in chamber 2. Is this a good idea or should I change it up. I don't want water to bypass the filtration media. Also the pump in chamber 1 lowers the water level in the display and the spill over from 1 to 2 is minimal. Suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

Archived