Pod Your Reef

Uwwmatt's DIY Biocube Fuge Light

uwwmatt

I would suggest removing some of the plastic from the gangbox to add more airflow. That should solve your problem. Another option would be to place a spacer between the gangbox and the back of your tank. This however would cause more light to leak into the room.

I went ahead and removed two slots from each side of the gang box. I thought that it was getting a little warm.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a gigantic fan sitting behind my tank now and I am able to keep my temps bellow the 79 degree mark

I run my fuge light on a reverse photoperiod, so when the fuge light is on the display lights are off. This helps keep the temperatures stable as well as a few other benefits.

I think I am going to try this mod, however I was looking into doing it with LED's. I might try it with this light http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...=10000003+90112 from the HD. What do you all think?

Totally wrong color for macro growth. You need something in a warm white. I have been using 10W MR16 halogens and they work well. The LED lamp that you linked to, even in a warm white probably won't be powerful enough for good growth.

Thanks Evil, I wanted to go LED to keep it cool, but I will probably just go with the lights used on page one.

Uwwmatt I have no idea what the base looks like, but I will get a better look when I go to the HD

Thanks Evil, I wanted to go LED to keep it cool, but I will probably just go with the lights used on page one.

Uwwmatt I have no idea what the base looks like, but I will get a better look when I go to the HD

Are you taking about my fuge light where the lightbulb plugs in?

Sure am, I think I am going to copy your mod and see how it works on my 29 Biocube.

It is a socket for a light bulb. It comes with the cord that plugs into the wall as well. I popped a couple extra holes because I noticed it would get a little warm. I will check to see how it is now.

Just did this mod today... Very easy thanks to this thread! :happydance:

Thanks Uwwmatt!!!

Glad it worked for you. You should post a picture of the finished project.

Glad it worked for you. You should post a picture of the finished project.

Here's what I got... I didn't take any pictures of the process, as you did a helluva job with that!

3eea6444.jpg

WindCloudWRX

I was wondering if the box fits a higher wattage PC bulb?

CRAP ! I might go w/ this velcro method actually because I might mount this on the side on the back. right now its ABOVE my fuge which is 2 feet deep.

ANy update on growth of the chaeto?

I was wondering if the box fits a higher wattage PC bulb?

CRAP ! I might go w/ this velcro method actually because I might mount this on the side on the back. right now its ABOVE my fuge which is 2 feet deep.

ANy update on growth of the chaeto?

I just harvested my chaeto after about 2 months of being in my tank and it is doing very well under the 100 watt equivalent bulb. I now have StevieT's media basket in chamber 2 so I will keep everyone updated with how the chaeto grows in there.

I just did this mod today. Used a 6500k bulb from HD (Mini) with a socket and a extra tool replacement cord I had laying around. Was real easy to do and improved the lighting for my chaeto. Was running a couple LEDs that just weren't cutting it. Thanks for the great post!

WindCloudWRX
I just harvested my chaeto after about 2 months of being in my tank and it is doing very well under the 100 watt equivalent bulb. I now have StevieT's media basket in chamber 2 so I will keep everyone updated with how the chaeto grows in there.

Hi,

I have relocated from top to behind like most of you folks. I think it would be better as more light hits the chaeto and I will turn it once in a while so light hits all sides of it. I think this allows me more access via top w/o the light sitting on top. I only velcroed 1 side, man that thing is strong.

Thanks.

I hope the Chaeto grows better.

don't want to discourage anyone but i had this exact setup running for close to a month w/ a 25w bulb & the chaeto kept on dying. and of course giving me even higher nitrate numbers. i even tried a different wattage bulb but finally gave up.

good luck.

don't want to discourage anyone but i had this exact setup running for close to a month w/ a 25w bulb & the chaeto kept on dying. and of course giving me even higher nitrate numbers. i even tried a different wattage bulb but finally gave up.

good luck.

You should list more details of your setup so that other can learn what problems you had.

It has less to do with wattage of the bulb and more with the temperature. You should try and find a 5000k- 6000k "daylight" bulb.

Cheato also needs to be moved around so that more then just one side receives light. I find that I have to scrape the back glass because coralline grows over it after a while.

You should list more details of your setup so that other can learn what problems you had.

It has less to do with wattage of the bulb and more with the temperature. You should try and find a 6000k "daylight" bulb.

Cheato also needs to be moved around so that more then just one side receives light. I find that I have to scrape the back glass because coralline grows over it after a while.

I also clean the chamber with a cleaning pad as algae builds on the inside. Rotating the chaeto every 2 weeks has done it for me.

NanoCube-boy
I also clean the chamber with a cleaning pad as algae builds on the inside. Rotating the chaeto every 2 weeks has done it for me.

That means we have to remove the chaets right? And then clean the window.

Archived