Innovative Marine Aquariums

Uwwmatt's DIY Biocube Fuge Light

uwwmatt

stoney waters

Its adhesive backed vinyl. Just cut the outline with a razor blade and you should be able to peel it off in one piece. Heating it with a hair dryer should help it peel off easier.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got a gangbox, cut into it so that this would fit into it, and then hung it over the edge of the biocube.

i used the pucks like you have, but the velcro inevitably fell off the glass (the adhesive would lose its stickiness)

I just got a gangbox, cut into it so that this would fit into it, and then hung it over the edge of the biocube.

i used the pucks like you have, but the velcro inevitably fell off the glass (the adhesive would lose its stickiness)

Velcro worked fine for me and I run the fuge light for about 8 hours a day.

Update pic:

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

With Light On:

IMG_0520.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Uwwmatt,

Thanks so much for the DIY directions. I did the exact same thing as you following your directions and it worked perfectly. Such a cool mod, and now my chaeto is out of the Walmart shower basket that was in my main tank! Good to see that yours is growing too. I hope I have the same success.

Quick question: did you just drop your chaeto into the bottom of the second chamber? Is it being pulled into the third chamber? Just curious.

Thanks again,

Chris

Uwwmatt,

Thanks so much for the DIY directions. I did the exact same thing as you following your directions and it worked perfectly. Such a cool mod, and now my chaeto is out of the Walmart shower basket that was in my main tank! Good to see that yours is growing too. I hope I have the same success.

Quick question: did you just drop your chaeto into the bottom of the second chamber? Is it being pulled into the third chamber? Just curious.

Thanks again,

Chris

I threw a bag of chemipure at the bottom of chamber two and the chaeto stays in the chamber.

I threw a bag of chemipure at the bottom of chamber two and the chaeto stays in the chamber.

Sweet, thanks. I have a bag of chemipure in there too, but it is "hanging" in the middle of the chamber 2. I just wedged the top of the media bag inbetween the drip tray so it holds in place. I was worried that the media bag would try and get sucked through the bottom also, or just really slow down the flow of water. It works okay just resting on the bottom?

Sweet, thanks. I have a bag of chemipure in there too, but it is "hanging" in the middle of the chamber 2. I just wedged the top of the media bag inbetween the drip tray so it holds in place. I was worried that the media bag would try and get sucked through the bottom also, or just really slow down the flow of water. It works okay just resting on the bottom?

Works fine. I also added a bag of purigen where the stock sponge goes in chamber 3. I removed the drip tray. Water level in chamber 3 and chamber 2 are the same. It is up to the bottom of the 90 degree return line in chamber 3.

If you need pics I can try and get some.

No, no pics needed, I think that all makes sense. I have actually left that blue sponge in there and I just take it out every week and clean it, but maybe I'll just take it out and set it up like yours. Thanks for your help.

Chris

No, no pics needed, I think that all makes sense. I have actually left that blue sponge in there and I just take it out every week and clean it, but maybe I'll just take it out and set it up like yours. Thanks for your help.

Chris

Yea throw some purigen in place of the sponge. Works good for me.

I posted pics on my thread. I will post pics here as well.

Here is a link to my page with the custom Biocube 14

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1851074

I used a 5500K bulb that is energy efficient. Just bought a light bulb adapter and lamp cord. Was fairly cheap.

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Chamber 2

IMG_0433.jpg

If there are questions on the setup or prices I am willing to answer them.

What kind of heat does your design put off. I have the pucklight setup in a gangbox (single puck, not double) and no issues with heat. Just curious on the lightbulb approach.

What kind of heat does your design put off. I have the pucklight setup in a gangbox (single puck, not double) and no issues with heat. Just curious on the lightbulb approach.

I get very minimal heat. The light is on in the middle of the night for 8 hours and it is warm to the touch. Nothing to be worried about. If it is too warm for you then you can always pop a couple of the slots out to allow more flow of air throughout the box/light area.

Hope you like the mod.

how strong is that PC light?

thanks.

It's a 5500K, 100 watt equivalent

I found it at home depot and it works great. I will update my chaeto picture, it has double since I have had it.

is the lamp socket available @ HD as well? Sorry for the dumb questions, not too familiar with the terms, but I plan on going to check it out.

But I don't think I"ve ever recalled seeing something like that.. or maybe I wasn't looking in the right section.

You should be able to find that in any home improvement/hardware store. It's called an Edison base socket, but don't expect the employees to know that. You can find them in the electrical section at HD where all the wall sockets are found (usually).

is the lamp socket available @ HD as well? Sorry for the dumb questions, not too familiar with the terms, but I plan on going to check it out.

But I don't think I"ve ever recalled seeing something like that.. or maybe I wasn't looking in the right section.

Yea its at HD. Its for like lamp repairs and stuff located where all of the ceiling fans are. Its on an end aisle.

• 4 weeks later...

Great write up. Considering doing this to mine as well. FYI, if you want a black gang box, simply get some RIT dye at a craft store and dye your box black before you start. Dying it means it's black all the way through so it won't fade etc.

Great write up. Considering doing this to mine as well. FYI, if you want a black gang box, simply get some RIT dye at a craft store and dye your box black before you start. Dying it means it's black all the way through so it won't fade etc.

Krylon Fusion would work for a quick and easy job too. Good luck with the build. You should post a picture of it here when you get it finished.

I did this mod to my 14 gal bc and noticed a 1.5 degree increase in water temp. I also noticed about 6 oz more of evaperation. I have a gigantic fan sitting behind my tank now and I am able to keep my temps bellow the 79 degree mark

I did this mod to my 14 gal bc and noticed a 1.5 degree increase in water temp. I also noticed about 6 oz more of evaperation. I have a gigantic fan sitting behind my tank now and I am able to keep my temps bellow the 79 degree mark

I would suggest removing some of the plastic from the gangbox to add more airflow. That should solve your problem. Another option would be to place a spacer between the gangbox and the back of your tank. This however would cause more light to leak into the room.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived