Coral Vue Hydros

Mandarin Dragonet

quixand

If it's not eating with in a week bring it back

I tried my hardest in a 29G total and nothing I could only just keep the mandarin alive with the natural pods but doing so cost me mass amounts of slugs/snails,copepods etc in which extremely disables your natural filtration and contributes to outbreak of algae

this is if you can't get it too eat frozen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cheryl jordan

Your tank is new, very new.

If you are out to prove people wrong your fish will pay the price, and if you bought it because you think it is pretty your fish will pay the price.

Mandarins should never ever go in a new tank, much less a smaller nano and never for an individual that has not done TONs of research or kept them before.

Just my 2 cents

agreed if you look at the pectoral fin and right across from it u can see that there are bones showing meaning is slowly dieing as we type

u have no time hurry and return it

its a female

Just my .02.. I tried to train one that I bought to accept frozen foods with no luck.. I kept him for 3 weeks and when he wouldn't accept I brought him back to the LFS for the fishy's sake.

If you get one and it doesn't take to prepared foods, please please keep the fish's life in mind. I'm no PETA rep or anything, it's just a shame to have such a beautiful fish die because we want to look at them.

Anyway, I'll try again sometime later I'm sure, and best of luck to everyone else.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bump an old topic, but were those who got their mandarin to eat mysis, ect able to sustain them on this? Like for years?

Wondering if one was eating frozen if it would even be worth purchasing or if they will still just waste away at a slower pace.

I have a spotted and a blue mandarin from ORA living in a 20 Long tank that is a matured 3 year old tank. I have had my fish for almost a year now. I feed them cyclopeeze and Nutrimat Ova mixed togethet three times a day. I change 10% water every three days. They dont fight, for some reason, and seem very happy together. It can be done, but you need to be diligent and consistent. mike

post-55654-1300995113_thumb.jpg

post-55654-1300995150_thumb.jpg

post-55654-1300995161_thumb.jpg

i had one for 8 months in an 8.75 gallon tank and it only died because he jumped. then i got a 2nd one that ate ok for a month then started to slow down on his food i let it go for 1 week and he kept up with his habbit of not eating enough so i brought him back to the lfs owner and he fattened him up in his 125. now i'm in a 40 breeder and i've had a mandi in there for 5 months no with no problems i don't really even bother feeding him directly he actively pursues food in the tank and hunts pods actively. how i had good luck with this one i couldn't tell you. it took me all of 2 weeks to train my first one. but aside from the carpet surfer i haven't had one die on me because of negligence.

• 8 months later...

I know I'm resurrecting an old arse thread,but I find dragonets uncannily similar to chickens 0.o the way they feed and the way they move about, for anyone whose wondering my mandarin LOVES instant ocean brine shrimp gel

Or a little hummingbird...hovering over a rock, studying it for tiny things to eat. Long beak-like mouth, and beautiful colors. I love the specie the minute I saw it for the first time. mike

It would be a challenge to keep a mandarin in a nano, also almost every time I do see one in a nano they are very skinny.

I have a spotted and a blue mandarin from ORA living in a 20 Long tank that is a matured 3 year old tank. I have had my fish for almost a year now. I feed them cyclopeeze and Nutrimat Ova mixed togethet three times a day. I change 10% water every three days. They dont fight, for some reason, and seem very happy together. It can be done, but you need to be diligent and consistent. mike
just saying your blue mandarin looks pretty skinny.

6 gallon....check out my blue and green spotted in my hands, then tell me if my fish is "skinny"....In case the link does not work, it's on page 7 under fish forum, under my name with attached pics entitled :mandarins in my hand"

It is a challenge only if you are not willing to change the water, and feed three times a day.

mike

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=285124

Archived