Cultivated Reef

Increased algae growth with Oceanic

GioReef

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First let me qualify anything I say with the caveat that I haven't read this whole thread, only the last couple of pages, but I think I have the meat of it. Secondly, I use IO salt, so have no experience with any other salt.

My experience with a tank that I hadn't taken care of, not done a water change in 6 months (not saying you've done this, only that I have) and having a severe algae problem, I cleaned the algae out mechanically, then did a water change. The next day, a different type of algae bloomed. I did another water change, siphoning out the algae, and the next day it had bloomed again. Only after I had changed out practically all the water did I finally eliminate the algae blooms. Not sure if it applies to your experiene or not, but seemed to relate to the last few posts.

Good luck with your problem.

the imbalance of magnesium precipitates calcium and carbonate, creating pH, alk, and calcium imbalance which encourages algae growth. if you have a large tank and are using a kalk reactor or calcium reactor, you probably wouldn't notice an issue.

WTF!!! Are you serious? How does a Ph / Alk / Calcium "imbalance" cause algae growth???

There are 2 things, along with light, that cause algae to grow in our tanks. Phosphate and nitrate. PERIOD

There are 2 things, along with light, that cause algae to grow in our tanks. Phosphate and nitrate. PERIOD

I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot more factors involved in the proliferation of algae. Sure, what you have stated is the easiest way to break it down, but its not the whole picture. Not even close, in fact.

I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot more factors involved in the proliferation of algae. Sure, what you have stated is the easiest way to break it down, but its not the whole picture. Not even close, in fact.

Perhaps I'm not an "expert" in algae growth, but I can assure you that Mg, Ca, and Alk levels have NOTHING to do with it. That was my point.

Perhaps I'm not an "expert" in algae growth, but I can assure you that Mg, Ca, and Alk levels have NOTHING to do with it. That was my point.

Well I don't know how else to say it, but... you are wrong.

Well I don't know how else to say it, but... you are wrong.

Go ahead and explain it to me then. Did I forget nitrogen? Don't forget to include how an "imbalance" in Alk, Ca, Mg and Ph can spawn algae growth...

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/Programs/wq/plants/a...nformation.html

Algae grow when they have the right conditions such as adequate nutrients (mostly phosphorus but nitrogen is important too), light levels, pH, temperature, etc. Generally the amount of phosphorus controls the amount of algae found in a freshwater lake or water body. The more nutrient-enriched a lake, typically the more algae in the lake. As Washington lakes and their watersheds are developed, increasing problems are seen with algae.

The issue isn't that the mix may contain spores. The only reason I can think of is that perhaps a batch made it through that contains organics of some sort, or good 'ole PO4 or NO3.

Holy CRAP! Isn't that what I said in the first place that got you all fired up? Looky there... Phosphate and Nitrate.

Well, yes. The only detrimental thing I can think of that a salt mix could include is something like phos. or nitrate. It has already been mentioned that a very small amount of phosphate, for example, could absolutely be incorporated into the mix here.

But to say that just a few things are the only factor in considering what has gone wrong here would be incorrect.

Micronutrients could also come into play. There are several micronutrients that are used up at a hasty pace in many of our small closed systems. This is why weekly water changes are very helpful. Imagine a scenario: There is enough phosphate and/or nitrate in a system to encourage the growth of microalgae. But the water changes have been providing insufficient amounts of a certain micronutrient, so it becomes unavailable to the microalgae before the next water change can occur. Once the water change is performed, the micronutrient is replenished to useable levels, and a small bloom in microalgae population occurs.

I understand that... but when most people talk about trying to reduce algae growth they usually refer to nitrate and phosphate. I have yet to see a discussion where people are talking about limiting micronutrients to inhibit growth.

I understand that... but when most people talk about trying to reduce algae growth they usually refer to nitrate and phosphate. I have yet to see a discussion where people are talking about limiting micronutrients to inhibit growth.

That is the point. There may be nothing wrong with the salt at all, except perhaps an insufficient or sufficiently small level of some or one micronutrient, depending on how you view it.

The Propagator

Correct magnesium levels will help to inhibit algae growth because its a link in the never ending chain, elevated levels will help kill off hair as well as bryopsis.

The two links cited earlier where for freshwater and for marine macroalgaes, which are not pertinent to this discussion.

A raging topic at present is the use of micro-nutrients seeded into the ocean to produce microalgae blooms. It seems that iron is the true limiting factor to growth of microalgae. Video of iron dispersion in the very middle of the Pacific causing huge algae blooms is quite dramatic.

The two links cited earlier where for freshwater and for marine macroalgaes, which are not pertinent to this discussion.

A raging topic at present is the use of micro-nutrients seeded into the ocean to produce microalgae blooms. It seems that iron is the true limiting factor to growth of microalgae. Video of iron dispersion in the very middle of the Pacific causing huge algae blooms is quite dramatic.

Interesting.

Can you post a link to said video?

Guys, dont get into an argument.LOL I just wanted to know what was wrong with the salt... Whatever it might be(phosphate,nitrate, imbalances), i dont really care. I just want to solve my problem.LOL

Interesting.

Can you post a link to said video?

Darn it Weetie, I knew someone would ask that. I"ve seen it, but when I looked for the link earlier I got people giving lecturesd about it. I'll look after swimming.

WTF!!! Are you serious? How does a Ph / Alk / Calcium "imbalance" cause algae growth???

i'm sorry, i mean "encourage" algae growth, typically the brown crap all over your sand and glass. raise the alk/pH, algae goes away. seen it a hundred times, fixed it a hundred times the same way. cyano can show up in low calcium/alk conditions as well, when almost nothing else can be found to blame. there is always a root nutrient, but the lowered alk/pH/calc will greatly accelerate algaes to a growth rate that would be otherwise unproblematic.

Ok so i went to go buy a bag of coralife. I did a 50/50 mix with my oceanic and let it sit for 2 days. There was very little brown scum on the sides of the mixing container. So then i tested some params of the new water at LFS...

SG-1.0255

pH- 8.3

Calcium-420

Mag-1250-1300

Trate-0

Amm-0

Trite-0

And i have noticed that my xenia has started to pulse way more than usual. My hammer is also more extended. the algae seems to have stopped growing. So i think the salt had something to do with it. Slowly i will go only coralife and see what happens.

Ok so i went to go buy a bag of coralife. I did a 50/50 mix with my oceanic and let it sit for 2 days. There was very little brown scum on the sides of the mixing container. So then i tested some params of the new water at LFS...

SG-1.0255

pH- 8.3

Calcium-420

Mag-1250-1300

Trate-0

Amm-0

Trite-0

And i have noticed that my xenia has started to pulse way more than usual. My hammer is also more extended. the algae seems to have stopped growing. So i think the salt had something to do with it. Slowly i will go only coralife and see what happens.

Those levels all sound good.

Thanks for the update.

I myself am gonna try switching to D-D H2O salt. The salt is scheduled to be delivered by UPS today, WHOO-HOO!!!

I probably won't post levels or results right away since I have to gradually transition to it.

Archived