inTank Media Baskets

Increased algae growth with Oceanic

GioReef

I have been a little lax in doing water changes over the summer. As a result I haven't been doing my regular weekly water change. What I have noticed is that I get an algae bloom for a couple of days after making a 10-15% PWC. With a few weeks betteen water changes I was able to see a bloom after every water change!

I am using SeaChem Reef Salt and water that has been filtered through an AP de-ionizing filter. I was suspicious that the water was the problem, but a phosphate test on just the DI water showed no detectable level of phosphate. I mixed up 25litres of water as I usually do by running a power head and heater in the bucket and got the salinity to my usual 1.0245. This sample shows significant PO4 (0.25ppm).

I was surprised to find this as I consider SeaChem to be a good salt mix.

Anyone else have a similar experience? What are your favorite salt mixes?

Cheers

NRG

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you get walmart water get the green cap. And as far as i know distilled water usuly has phosphates, you want to use revers osmosis and or deionized water.

This sample shows significant PO4 (0.25ppm).

I was surprised to find this as I consider SeaChem to be a good salt mix.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks for sharing that... i will definitely not get seachem reef then. Thats the same thing i noticed with oceanic, i was a little lazy and the algae was going away, as soon as i did a wc the algae went back up. Try reef crystals or coralife, they have good reviews

Lets make an anti-oceanic campaign! LOL JK

But seriously, im gonna email oceanic and tell them this algae problem, just to inform them. maybe they can get it fixed if enuf people complain.

This is the response i got from oceanic. I replied with the answers...

That is very strange. The Oceanic salt contains no algae or algae spores. There is nothing in the salt mix that will promote algae growth. Is there a way you could send a sample of the algae? Our R&D department would like to see what it is. How long after a water change do you notice the algae, where does it grow and what color is it? You said that it is also growing in your mixing bucket. Do you leave the bucket empty in between water changes?

Thank You

Brian Woodruff

Central Aquatics

Product Lines Tech Support

1-800-255-4527 ext 1216

Fax 1-800-398-0396

email: bwoodruff@central.com

Its natural sea salt but they still add things to get it how they want it. So maybe its a bad batch... lots of people seem to be having problems with it. But at the same time other love it.

Well spores are spores so... there is virtually no way anyone could guarantee that anything is free of them.

The issue isn't that the mix may contain spores. The only reason I can think of is that perhaps a batch made it through that contains organics of some sort, or good 'ole PO4 or NO3.

The Propagator

Wait.. you leave your SW premixed in a 50 gallon drum ?

Unless you have a PH and or and air stone in it theres the answer to your problem.

Stagnate water.

I didn't mean to bash any manufacturer. Actually I think one of the best things that we can do for aquarium manufacturers is give them feedback that we are having problems. I'm impressed to see Oceanic stepping up and asking for samples of the algae.

Has anyone else done this experiment:

• Take a sample of the fresh water that you are using to mix your salt with.
    Measure the PO4 level of the water by itself.
    Mix your saltwater as always.
    Once its mixed and ready to use take a sample and measure the PO4

It would be great to get a list of the 2 measurements and the salt mix that was used.

Here's mine

Freshwater PO4 = 0ppm

Mixed with SeaChem Reef Crystals @ 1.0245 = 0.25ppm

Cheers

NRG

FWIW

I mix my water in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I use a powerhead to move the water and a heater to bring it up to aquarium temperature.

I'm curious to know what your phosphate levels are for sure.

We also don't even know the TDS levels of your make up water, correct?

Any chance old lamps ( shift ) may be to blame here?

Seems like we are jumping the gun just a bit blaming the salt mix, no?

TDS of my water is 0. Ive had this algae way before i switched lamps. Im pretty sure its the salt cuz every water change about 2 days later it gets worse than what it was before the change. And i get these diatom like algae in my mixing bucket.

TDS of my water is 0. Ive had this algae way before i switched lamps. Im pretty sure its the salt cuz every water change about 2 days later it gets worse than what it was before the change. And i get these diatom like algae in my mixing bucket.

I also get this film with Oceanic. I wish I had the means to test what it is exactly. I thought perhaps with the high ca levels this was excess that could not be kept in solution?

Never thought it could be algae mixing in a bucket without light.

I never got the film with IO Reef Crystals, but then again the Ca was so low to begin with.

Once again we are in a "whats the best salt mix" discussion. :D

Its the one thing we all hope to find it seems. It also seems that it does not exist as of yet.

Will you be sending in a sample of the salt and the algae for them to test?

If so please post what they find. :)

I might send the salt. But the algae will prolly die by the time it gets there.

I really think it is detritus or algae. I never used to get it with IO either. And my sand was clean. Low cal tho also...

Archived