inTank Media Baskets

Sand in Crocea

aaron1987

I was changing my water with my wonderful girlfriend's help and was having her add the new saltwater -- which she's seen me do enough to know about siphoning it in slowly... must have slipped her mind because I turned back to see her dumping the new water in, and as a result kicking up a terrific sandstorm; a lot of which ended up on/in my Crocea. I know sand tends to irritate them and this definitely did that, it's expelled a bit but I'm concerned that a fair amount may have gotten in. Anything I should be doing to help the clam expel the sand, or will it take care of it on its own?

Blowing the sand off wasn't the concern, I did so immediately -- I do appreciate the input though. My question was regarding the ability of the clam to expel the sand from inside of it.

I wouldnt worry too much...clams are a shallow water creature and I am sure that they get sand/debris in them all the time due to bad storms, high surf, etc. They can deal with it....not that they like it though.

That was my feeling on the matter, but it's always unsettling with something as touchy as a clam. I know crocea's especially do not appreciate sand particles in them which has a bit to do with why it's generally recommended they be placed on rockwork.

That was my feeling on the matter, but it's always unsettling with something as touchy as a clam. I know crocea's especially do not appreciate sand particles in them which has a bit to do with why it's generally recommended they be placed on rockwork.

Well that, and the fact that they live on rocks in their natural habitat. :P

No worries, one time I was watching the tank and my Clam started just closing quickly and expelling small amount of sand, then all the sudden it blew a pebble the size of a small hermit out. From the bottom of the 40G breeder where it sat, the rock almost shot all the way to the surface!

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with the others, if you do a bit of research on the wild environment of t crocea you will find that not only does it live on/in rocks but it often is actually exposed at low tide and sometimes exposed to substantial wave action/surge. he is no wimp, dont worry about him.

ps, be thrilled that you have a girlfriend who's willing to help rather than just roll her eyes at your reef tank obsession!

if i could get mygf to change the water...well..geez...she would never do that..shes not that kind of girl ;)

Archived