Coral Vue Hydros

Crocea gaping?

skydive

what light it's under?

36" Outer Orbit Pro (2x250w MH & 4x39w T5 HO)

The clam is under a Current 10k, the other side is a XM 10k. Soon to be replaced by two Phoenix bulbs.

3. Check for gaping. Healthy clams should not have large circular holes at their mouth (intake). There is an exception with Crocea clams which can gap when it's perfectly healthy. However, if you do see your Crocea gap you should be on the look out to see if it's shells are gaping. You can tell by looking at the side of the clam where the two shells are joined and make sure it's not gaping too much.

Is the picture below this where I'm supposed to check or underneath the intake where the shells join? My picture does show a gap, but what exactly is "too much"? The intake is circular, more so than the one pictured on the link.

Thanks for the link OceanNano.

3. Check for gaping. Healthy clams should not have large circular holes at their mouth (intake). There is an exception with Crocea clams which can gap when it's perfectly healthy. However, if you do see your Crocea gap you should be on the look out to see if it's shells are gaping. You can tell by looking at the side of the clam where the two shells are joined and make sure it's not gaping too much.

Is the picture below this where I'm supposed to check or underneath the intake where the shells join? My picture does show a gap, but what exactly is "too much"? The intake is circular, more so than the one pictured on the link.

Thanks for the link OceanNano.

My new Crocea gaped the first day I got it.... Until I wedged it into a piece of LR .... It seems much happier now and it's intake is just a slit (about 1-2mm) now and the mantle is wide open. I'm not a clam expert, but I hear Crocea's like to be up in live rock (so they can attach).

You can't see it in the picture but there's a rock underneath it that raises it up off the sand that it's attached to.

If I come back Saturday and its still looking like that during the day should I be worried? It's narrower now but I figure that's because it's dark?

You can't see it in the picture but there's a rock underneath it that raises it up off the sand that it's attached to.

If I come back Saturday and its still looking like that during the day should I be worried? It's narrower now but I figure that's because it's dark?

Did you check it for Pyram snails when you got it? Did you burp any air out of it when you put it in your tank? Are you on vacation or something that you will not see your tank untill 5 days from now? I know my clam is eating up my Ca about 5PPM per day. I try to keep the ALk & CA @ 9DKh and 420PPM

I couldn't find any snails on it and did burp out all the air.

Now the clam has moved back a couple inches, turned 90 degrees and sunk down in the sand more. I don't think it likes the rock I put under it. I don't have a view of its mantle anymore but from the side it doesn't look gaped anymore.

OceanNano, I work out of town throughout the week and don't return till Friday nights.

I couldn't find any snails on it and did burp out all the air.

Now the clam has moved back a couple inches, turned 90 degrees and sunk down in the sand more. I don't think it likes the rock I put under it. I don't have a view of its mantle anymore but from the side it doesn't look gaped anymore.

OceanNano, I work out of town throughout the week and don't return till Friday nights.

I'm glad your clam is doing better :D Hopefully it moved itself into a more comfortable spot. lucky for me I had a piece of Live rock with a clam shaped grove in it. Is it hard for you to keep your Alk & Ca in check when you are out of town during the week?

I'm glad your clam is doing better :D Hopefully it moved itself into a more comfortable spot. lucky for me I had a piece of Live rock with a clam shaped grove in it. Is it hard for you to keep your Alk & Ca in check when you are out of town during the week?

Thanks, if it weren't for kalkwasser I couldn't do it. Before I was having to dose 2-part everyday, with kalk I can mix for the top off water and it keeps it in check for me while I'm gone.

Archived