Cultivated Reef

clam kills clown fish

nano427

Well bad news for my clown fish today. Today I noticed something very weird. I checked on my tank earlier today and everything looked good. So about ten minutes later I walked by it and had to take a second look as something didn't seem right. As I looked closed I noticed that my little clam(maybe 1.5 -2 inch shell) had nabbed my 3 inch clown fish by the face. Apparently the clown fish wasn't minding his own business and stuck his face into the clams reach. By the time I noticed it there were 3 snails on the fish, so I knocked them outta there and tried to wedge a stick to open the clam up but all it did was make him bite tighter. So all I could do was hope he'd let go but by the time he did the fish was dead. And thats was it my clown fish of about 2 years got tossed into the dumpster and the clam just acts like nothing ever happened. What a punk.

yea i think someone on here posted some pics of thier clam snapped shut on a clowns head.

U should cook the clam up and eat him for doing that. lol

that does way suck though, when i had my clam i was always worried it might nab one of my clowns since they are so curious and little buttholes. i ended up trading the clam off though after a few weeks

I knocked an acro frag off the rack one day and it fell into a gigas clam.

It instantly closed breaking the acro into a dozen pieces! Ohh well he did a good job fragging it!

Fraggle Reef has a HUGE derasa clam that allows his clowns around it, and then host it. Sometimes the fish will go INTO the clam via the siphon (waste?) hole and poke their head out as if it's a hide out spot or something. When the clam is tired of it, it'll spit them out across the tank, lol! The clams don't close on the fish though.

Fraggle Reef has a HUGE derasa clam that allows his clowns around it, and then host it. Sometimes the fish will go INTO the clam via the siphon (waste?) hole and poke their head out as if it's a hide out spot or something. When the clam is tired of it, it'll spit them out across the tank, lol! The clams don't close on the fish though.

wow that is crazy. i would love to see it spit one of those out lol

I am sorry for your loss.

However, you can't blame the clam. It was just being a clam. As in something threatened it (clown fish poking at it) so it closed up to defend itself. Until the clam becomes conditioned to a stimulus it will react defensively.

Heard of clowns hosting to and killing clams, but never the other way around!

Was it a tridacnid?

it is a baby crocea clam.

That's a classic "serves you right" kind of moment! Did it have any noticable effects on the clam following the ambush?

no he looks just fine. I didnt realise how strong those little guys are. He smashed that fishes head pretty good.

Well as bummed as I am about this fish, it ends up working out since I was looking to add another clown to my tank. My lf has a really nice pair of clowns that he wouldnt separate when I wanted just one, so now I can just go get that pair.

Sorry for your loss. I saved this pic because it's amazing what a clown will do to find a host!

That's the pic and clown/clam pair I was speaking of above. Thanks for finding it. Being local to Fraggle Reef, I have seen this in person with my own eyes fortunately. Truely amazing to see!

I am sorry for your loss.

However, you can't blame the clam. It was just being a clam. As in something threatened it (clown fish poking at it) so it closed up to defend itself. Until the clam becomes conditioned to a stimulus it will react defensively.

Couldn't have said it better UH. :happy:

Archived